New Hymek Liveries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Hymek Liveries?

Any chance of Green/no yellow panel, or early Blue, small yellow panel no white window frames? All we seem to get offered are the usual green and blue variants.

Hi Bob, Excellent suggestions that I think we can accommodate. Do you have any pictures by chance?
    Regards
    Joel

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Here is a shot of class doyen D7000 at Taunton in original 2-tone green livery with no warning panels.

Hymeks in blue with small warning panels had 2 variants. Some retained the off-white cab window surrounds that they had in previous green livery while others had the window surrounds painted blue. Here are examples of both versions of the livery.

Comment

D7036 seems to have been well photographed and was the Kernow special edition.
        Other blue/white window/SYE include D7047, D7056.
        I have to say D7051 is the only one I have seen in blue without white windows. But that's the one I want!
        These liveries were seen around 1967 - 1969, but as we know, some Hymeks were even in green at withdrawl (D7054 in 1972 for example)

You have to be careful on the all over green ones as the air horns were different on D7000/1/2 and were moved, probably when the SYE panel was added. D7000 also had a slightly different rendition of the yellow-green, which didn't wrap around the buffer cowlings. So you would be all right doing full green, no yellow ends for D7003-7016. D7017 was the other Kernow limited edition in all over green.

Best
        Bob

Comment

Excellent information and pictures, thank you.
          Regards
          Joel

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

I Have a Cl35 dummy but I want it as a "Runner" can I a) do body swap with a powered unit or b)can I get a powered chassis (with DCC) so the lights etc work as well ??
            Last edited by Chris Newman; 26 June 2016, 21:10. Reason: Missing words in B/ not grammmatically correct!!

Comment

• Joel Dapol
              Joel Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              HI Chris, I know Andy will answer this, but if you give me your dummy part number, I can try it out in the meantime.

• Joel Dapol
              Joel Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Chris, I have just tried it with the numbers we have in stock (so the last batch of Hymeks) and the swap works.

• Chris Newman
              Chris Newman commented
              Editing a comment
              Joel, Many thanks for the time and effort investigating that for me, it now means I can get older versions from any source and get them mobile!!! TERRIFIC!!

The first 19 Hymeks D7000-18 were originally in BR Green livery with no warning panel and had the warning panel added later.

There was 3 Hymeks in Blue with Blue window frames D7004, D7007 (picture below) & D7051

Another detail difference was that D7000 - D7033 did not have headboard clips above the headcode panels.
            Last edited by Crooked Spire; 4 July 2016, 09:16.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
              Joel Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for the information and pictures, most useful. I think these would form the basis of a new batch of Hymeks for next year. If specific models are preferred, please let us know and we can take a poll.

Options seemingly available to Dapol are:

Green no yellow end: D7003-16, D7018. D7000-2 did not have horns in the usual place in this livery. D7017 was done for Kernow in 2008.
            Blue SYP blue window frames: D7004, D7007 and D7051. This appears to be slightly more of a chromatic blue than the typical rail blue. Or is it just my eyes?
            Blue SYP white window frames: D7047, D7056. (Crooked Spire - do you have details on the other ones?). D7036 has already been done for Kernow in 2008.

The blue SYP ones also seem to have lasted in this livery from painting in 1967ish until withdrawn in 1971/2.
            Top of my wish list is for the blue no white frames version. Any number will do.

HTH
            Bob

Comment

• Joel Dapol
              Joel Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              Very helpful, many thanks.

Maybe a poll should also be taken as to whether more weathered liveries should be offered for folks like me who would only make a hash of it if I tried to do it myself, and factory weathering is (at present) cheaper than paying someone else to do it. The Mercig based weathering on the class 22s was exquisite but you don't want to know my opinion of the weathering on my first batch 9F.

Comment

• Chris Newman
              Chris Newman commented
              Editing a comment
              " but you don't want to know my opinion of the weathering on my first batch 9F." Oh yes we DO!!!

Hi, I do have a Question Regarding Chassis units (as seen DCC Website) the image and caption seem to imply that they come with a basic body shell (for protection of motor etc(a sensible precaution) but no Glazing, Handrails etc---if true Are Hand Rails Glazing Available separately ?? otherwise it seems!! a waste of a good body shell (except for painting practice!!!)

Comment

• Andy Dapol
              Andy Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi. We've implemented a process over the last 3 years where spares are produced as 'kits' this means we do have most parts (although of course quantity's are limited). Unfortunately the Hymek was last produced before this system was introduced and only the chassis were produced. Next time around a full suite of parts will be made. It's also worth noting that not all models have a plain body, although we are trying to maintain this.

• Chris Newman
              Chris Newman commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Andy, thanks for taking the time to reply, and giving a good explanation of your planning, taking into account Joel's comment above in post 7, would it be possible to think about (me to hope for, fingers crossed!!) that the Hymek could be included in the Spares category as well -Glazing Handrails & "D"'s and numbers for renumbering etc when planning your next production run??
              Last edited by Chris Newman; 4 July 2016, 11:52. Reason: added a after thought to give extra validation of "Spares" issue.

Joel - you must be reading these posts all the time, such is the speed of your response. Has anyone said you need to get back to running the business yet???

Can I also say that this is an excellent forum to allow us to interact with Dapol. I might even renew my lapsed membership (was no 078). Thanks.

Bob

Comment

• Joel Dapol
              Joel Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Bob, speed reading and fast typing is the key :-)

I could certainly be persuaded to buy a plain green or blue SYP (with white window frames) Hymek. My green Hymek was one of the first N gauge locos I bought. A poll for liveries for the next batch sounds like a great idea.

Comment

The Hymeks that that were painted Blue with SYP seemed to be a different shade of Blue, although I don't think it was chromatic blue. In the early days of BR Blue there were a lot of variations depending on the paint manufacturer, the method of applying the paint and the undercoat used. These Hymeks seemed to have a very white undercoat. Also to take into account is the WR cleaning methods (when they bothered to clean a loco) which seemed to strip the top layer of paint from locos. If you look at the 4th photo I posted above of D7051 the white undercoat is showing through in a lot of places. D7051 is also in just in front of a Class 47 that is standard shade of BR Blue and is noticeably different.

The liveries that I'm aware of are

BR Green D7000-18
              BR Green with SYP D7000-100
              BR Green with FYP D7000 D7009 D7013 D7014 D7018 D7020 D7023 D7031 D7075 D7084 D7092 D7093 D7097
              BR Blue SYP with Blue window D7004 D7007 D7051 (these were the first three to be painted in Blue)
              BR Blue SYP with White windows D7010 D7012 D7027 D7034 D7036 D7040 D7045 D7046 D7047 D7048 D7052 D7056 D7057 D7059 D7064

D7017 ran with standard BR transfer numbers in BR Blue FYP and was only carried numbers at one end. The original cast alloy digits were removed
              D7076 had a standard BR transfer number on the No 1 end on one side only

Colin

Comment

Kernow models had a special run done with no warning panel, I was lucky enough to get one whilst in Cornwall

Comment

Off the wall maybe but would the dutch spoof livery on the WSR loco be of interest, fun for a rule one layout and alternative reality layouts - Westerns in Intercity livery that sort of thing..
                  Robert

Comment

• Bob G
                    Bob G commented
                    Editing a comment
                    We have had a spoof hydraulic livery already - D1000 in maroon no yellow panel.
                    Didn't stop me buying one of the recently reduced in price ones though, as I think I could add a yellow panel and weather it to match the already fantastic weathering, and I like the idea of D1000 being really grimy.
                    Bob

• robert shrives
                    robert shrives commented
                    Editing a comment
                    True but easier to convert to loco with yellow buffer beam area - I did one a while back. But then used plates on a blue one.
                Working...
                X