No announcement yet.

Revamp of [220/221] model fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new virgin (flowing silk) livery 221 would be a hit with me. By the looks of things the Farish model is just a re run with none or little improvements. I'm sure if the Dapol version had a stronger motor and upgraded electrics a Dapol model would be well received. The speed the current Farish releases are coming out i'm sure Dapol can beat Farish to the shops as well.

Comment

I'm not a fan of the Farish Voyager, by their standards it was a poor model mainly let down by the gearing and couplings they used, so to re-release it without any re-tooling is a very strange decision for me and I wonder if it will sell well.

That being said, the Dapol 220 Voyager is another one to avoid, mainly because of the way the axles run in the bogies rather than having pin-point wheelsets. The 221 was transformed by having pin-point wheelsets and is/was a great model in my opinion, especially the versions with the Schafenberg couplers to allow the units to be run together. The power cars for the 220's and 221's are virtually identical and use the same motor which appears in many Dapol models, so there's no lack of power there, any performance issues were solely down to the rolling resistance with the different bogie designs.

I wonder though if a model with no interiors is worth re-running in a market where detail appears to be king.

Comment

Voyagers have long been out of production and the new Virgin livery would be a good one.
        It would also be worth looking to see if the Midland and Stagecoach Meridian variation or Hull Trains Pioneer version (now with East Midlands and Stagecoach)is feasible using existing modified tooling

Comment

Maybe rather than copying Farish, Dapol could run the 221 instead. After all these are the units that have been re liveried and are still working with Virgin. Rather than offering dummy sets would 5 car and 10 car sets be viable? To me the detail isn't an issue as long as the price is right. I could also see these selling well as a 'Train set' with an oval of kato (if marketed right!??). I for one know that I would have bought this when I started in N 3 years ago.

Comment

You can't put pin point axles on a 220 because the bogies are inside bearings (not a problem on the 221 which has different bogies).

Comment

The loss of Virgin Trains franchise suggest a new livery of new operator and the final Virgin livery.

The option of the Midland Meridians could be explored but I am not sure what this entails.

Comment

Originally posted by chriswrightmk View Post
                The loss of Virgin Trains franchise suggest a new livery of new operator and the final Virgin livery.

The option of the Midland Meridians could be explored but I am not sure what this entails.
                So far as I'm aware only one 221 ever received that 'final' Virgin livery. With this, and any subsequent liveries, the current Dapol/Farish models are incorrect in that they portray the original squared-off valances on either side of the coupler on the driving cars. All of the 220/221 fleets had these replaced with a curved design a few years ago.

As regards the 222, it is similar in outline but has a lot of detail differences, so would quite likely require entirely new tooling.

Comment

The Class 222 would require four new coach types to be tooled, as there is a lot more variety in the design compared to the Voyager. This was cited as the reason for Bachmann dropping their planned version.

At the risk of blatant self-promotion, Electra Rail does sets of vinyls to make a passable Meridian from a Voyager in all major liveries. :-)

Currently, Super Voyager 221101 is in plain white livery with Avanti logos after losing the new Virgin livery. Believe the others have simply had the VT branding removed. There is a major refurbishment and overhaul planned, so a repaint may follow.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
                    Andy Dapol commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No risk ​​​​​​​Adam and as a further plug: Your 'Meridian' does look close, especially when running I'd consider it to be OK. However, if we were to model it we would of course make the tooling changes etc.
                    Given the amount of change within the existing fleet, we're sitting back and making notes, once its all set in stone we can look at the possibility of production in the future.

It's also worth noting of course that the 221 fleet is due to go from the WCML in a few years, so further model possibilities might occur then as regards livery, depending on where they end up. Likewise with the 222s.

The XC franchise keeps getting extended, so that one's currently an unknown. The XC livery is not that of the parent company (Arriva), so it might stay under a future operator although of course that is currently an unknown. It appears to have been designed originally so that the base colour was the same as Virgin, meaning that the Voyagers could have their existing livery adapted fairly easily at that time. The XC Voyagers are actually in quite a tatty state these days, especially inside - they are beyond half-life and have nad no major refurbishment since new.

Comment

Working...
                  X