HST Lights Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HST Lights Problem

I have recently had a problem with a few of my HST sets. Earlier today, one of my older HST sets (East Midlands Trains livery) was running when the lights went out on both the power and dummy car. At first I thought this was just very bad timing and that both LEDs had blown together. The whites still worked on the dummy and the reds on the power car, so I swapped the light units over as I only run my HST's in fixed sets with the power car leading but to my surprise, nothing had changed! The power car only had reds and the dummy only had whites. The LEDs cant have blown, so what is preventing them from turning on? I checked my other two EMT HST sets and Virgin west coast set (both have light problems) and these are the same. Some units will only show reds, others only white, and some none at all. Even though all LEDs are fine? Can anyone help me with this problem?

Thanks in advance,
    Will

Hi Will238,Assuming this is operating on DC, I would check the 'steering' diodes as these are more likely to fail than the LED's. If DCC then either decoder (try another) or it is the LED.
    Cheers
    Andy
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Hi Andy Dapol Thanks for replying. Yes I am running these on DC. I am not the best where it come to electronics but I belive this to be the part you were refering to. It looks like it has something-L3 written on it? Do you know if this is the right component and where I could source a replacement?
      Thanks
      Will Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7002edit.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	3.04 MB
ID:	9780

Comment

Hi, Will238 Yes, that's the beastie. Its actually a pair of diodes.
        You would need a BAT54 which can be purchased from an electronic supplier or from our service agents here: https://www.dccsupplies.com/shop/bat...chottky-diode/
        Regards
        Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Great, I'll get some Thanks very much for your help Andy Dapol

Comment

Working...
          X