Next run of HSTs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next run of HSTs?

Given how popular the Dapol HST is I would imagine at some point, when things start to clear up a bit at least, another run will be commissioned?
    Am aware that the Blue Pullman set is almost a given at this point and after the 3 Gaugemaster sets I feel we need some more "run of the mill" models after a flurry of excellent, special liveries.
    I would love to see:
    - EMT revised liveried Angel buffered set. 43 467 "Nottingham Fire Service" & 43 423 "Valenta" with appropriate TS & TFBO. If this had the very fine buffer detail with white outlining this model would look outstanding IMO.
    - Hornby have recently re-released the First Great Western Purple HST and to say the least it has been a very very popular model. Of all the HST liveries this is certainly the most amassable, also the previous set released in 2011 goes for crazy money on ebay now, that is if they even become available. Certainly a demand for this very standard but much beloved livery. 43 159 + 069 + TGS + TFBO. I also feel this set complements the recent Gaugemaster releases. This is a set I personally would consider getting multiples off and renumbering the Cl.43s.
    - "FGW Specials" 43 172 "Harry Patch"+ 43 027 "90 Glorious Years" +purple TGS + TFBO. 2 solid special liveries, this set would complement the standard purple bookset, enabling the special liveried PCs to run on different trains rather than at the 2 ends of a single set.

- "The final Slammer". Mid-May will see the end of HSTs out of London as well as the withdrawal of manual doors across the National Rail network. The recent relieved 43 102 would be the main point of this set with the addition of whatever the other PC (maybe utilise the full red livery of 43 238 to save duplicating the current EMR set?) and appropriate coaches will be on this final run in May.

Just my 50p on what I personally would like to see & what I think would commercially work well.

Thanks very much for your excellent suggestions, I will definitely put them forward when we chose the next batch of liveries.
    Regards
    Joel

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Originally posted by Joel Dapol View Post
      Thanks very much for your excellent suggestions, I will definitely put them forward when we chose the next batch of liveries.
      Much appreciated. Hopefully some come to fruition!

Comment

If I may pitch in....

- LSL Blue Pullman (I won't be unreasonable, I'd gladly accept it with a tampo printed top headlight)
        - Frist Great Western Barbie
        - GNER
        - Virgin Trains
        - Midland Mainline
        Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Originally posted by JeremiahBunyan View Post
          If I may pitch in....

- LSL Blue Pullman (I won't be unreasonable, I'd gladly accept it with a tampo printed top headlight)
          - Frist Great Western Barbie
          - GNER
          - Virgin Trains
          - Midland Mainline
          I think the Blue Pullman is a given but I would want to see the additional light really.
          GNER was not done long ago and they do come up for sale regularly on ebay, same for Virgin trains which seems to be the cheapest way to get a Dapol HST full stop at the moment.
          Midland mainline I would hope gets a lot of attention as it tends to be an afterthought when HSTs come up, I personally would like to see the buffered EMT sets but I'm sure there is ample provision for VP185 sets.

Comment

I would like to see another CrossCountry HST as although there are some coaches for sale in XC livery the power cars are hard to find secondhand. Would match nicely with the XC super voyager too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gellico View Post

I think the Blue Pullman is a given but I would want to see the additional light really.
              GNER was not done long ago and they do come up for sale regularly on ebay, same for Virgin trains which seems to be the cheapest way to get a Dapol HST full stop at the moment.
              Midland mainline I would hope gets a lot of attention as it tends to be an afterthought when HSTs come up, I personally would like to see the buffered EMT sets but I'm sure there is ample provision for VP185 sets.
              The extra headlight could be quite a big expense for such a modification. Dapol will be the ones who can decide whether it's worth the money or not. I personally think it's not worth the extra money. The N gauge market is much smaller when compared to the OO gauge market. the NMT sets seem to have a slightly different top headlight, yet no manufacturer has invested their money into creating the tooling for those when NR stuff sells like hot cakes.

Besides, there's a few other minor differences in the LSL Blue Pullman set. If they do one, then potential customers would want all. Let's see what they have to say
              Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

I think running some of the 'celebrity' power cars as twin packs with no coaches would be an easy win, especially as many people will already have full length FGW/GWR and VTEC/LNER sets to run them with.

I know Gaugemaster have already commissioned the retro liveried GWR set and Rails of Sheffield are doing the NRM VTEC pair, but there are others that would be popular. 43272 with its 'Spirit of Sunderland' branding and 43300 with its 'Craigentinny' branding to name a couple. I'm not too familiar with the GWML but I believe there are quite a few special liveries that could be done there also.

I think Grand Central & Cross Country would be popular re-runs, especially as there is plenty of unsold Grand Central mk3's around so it would just be a case of re-running the power cars.

In terms of new full sets, there isn't a great deal that hasn't been done now. Midland Mainline teal and FGW Barbie spring to mind as the most obvious gaps.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                  Joel Dapol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great Ideas regarding the Cross Country power cars, something we will definitely look at.

I'd like to see Crosscountry - preferably the whole set as it would be difficult to complete it otherwise (some types of carriage only ever appeared in the set, and some of the others would now be difficult to obtain). I notice that the GWR set Gaugemaster are having done is to have printed representations of the sliding doors - might this be possible for Crosscountry?

Other one is the second (blue) Midland Mainline livery, which Dapol hasn't done before.

Plus 43102 and Another as a pair - possibly whatever it runs its last train with before withdrawal in May? Assuming it's not 43272/74, because those have the 3-aspect headlights and although Dapol does have tooling for these (used on the EMT livery set) it's a separate insert and doesn't look like it would be practical to print onto it.

Comment

Midland Mainline (teal) and GNER with the original headlights and coaches with blue doors would certainly be of interest. Given how well the twin packs sold last time, could we see more Swallow sets too?

Also wondering if there is an update on the FGW Fag Packet models? Can we expect them soon?

Comment

Is there any likelihood of Dapol doing the power car painted in EMR purple / white? (43274) - possibly with 43102 in swallow livery? Those two ran together most of the time for the final few weeks of HST operation on the midland.

Comment

I've seen the Great Western 'Fag packet' set in person and whilst the printing is good and the white stripes have been dealt with quite well (no doubt a difficult thing to print on such a small scale), the base shade of green is completely wrong. How is a mistake like that made? The green used on Farish's 57 was much more on point - why not just match that?

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                        JeremiahBunyan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        The unfortunate part is that Dapol were informed about the incorrect shade multiple times by multiple people on facebook and via email. I'd like to give manufacturers the benefit of the doubt and assume that studio lighting washes out models. I do prefer to see things in person and make up my mind. So it is quite disheartening.

I can see that the following would be a clear win (from what I have seen online and from talking to people at shows in the past) :

EMR Purple 43274 and Intercity 43102. (without coaches, just PC's as those modelling the MML would most likely already have a full set with the previous release?)

Cross Country (Sell for crazy money online)

Midland Pullman (43055 and 43046) Who wouldn't want one?

First Great Western Dynamic Lines (Like XC, sell for crazy money online)

East Midlands Trains buffer fitted. Possibly 43423 "Valenta" and 43480? (Ex-GC power cars) Coaches still readily available from first EMT release

I would like to see one of the Midland Mainline liveries. It would be nice to see the 3-light cluster tooling make a return, as it's only been used so far on the East Midlands Trains set. (it would also be needed for 43274 in purple) I would love to see 43057 and 054 in the teal and tangerine livery, and 43066 and 045 in the later blue livery. (just not at the same time, I wouldn't be able to afford it!)

Hope this helps, Are there any plans for a new run of liveries any time soon?

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                        JeremiahBunyan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        EMR 43274 (Aubergine) and Midland Pullman get my vote. However I do with that Dapol get the shape of the black headlight surrounds correct.
                    Working...
                    X