East Cost HST Livery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East Cost HST Livery

We are currently working on the next batch of HST liveries. The one we are concentrating on at the moment is the post National Express, East Cost livery. We are basing this model on set EC51 with power cars 43367 & 43239. If anybody has coaching stock information - "running numbers" and coach designation code letters etc. that they are willing to share with us this would me most appreciated.
    Regards
    Neil

Dapol Staff Member

The 2015 Platform 5 coaching stock book has EC51 as 41120, 41150, 40748, 42215, 42091, 42146, 42150, 42154, 44094 (which I think is still the normal formation for the set, although obviously it's now in Virgin livery).

Are you doing the power cars in the ex-National Express livery? They had this initially but later at least most (all, I think) of the power cars were painted in grey with the purple stripe. The trailers remained in ex-NX livery apart from the ex-EMT set, which was vinylled into the grey livery although not until fairly late on.

As regards letters, I think that the guard's van area is A, the seated are of the TGS B, then the TSs C, D, E, F G, the TRFB J and the TFs L and M. I would advise checking this though!
    Last edited by DavidInYork; 12 January 2017, 17:11.

Comment

Really welcome news.

Could we have an image with the livery in question please?

A couple of questions if I may:
      1) Will the Power Car book set include two powered ends this time?
      (based on discussions here about the cost of producing dummy vehicles)

2) If you are looking to produce a 'real world' set, what packs are you intending to sell the vehicles in, original power car book set with coach packs / full set / power car book set and individual coaches as before?
      (my preference would be to buy in one or a small number of packs)

Cheers, Mark.

Comment

I will post a photograph of the livery in question shortly. The sets will include one powered car, one dummy car, a first and a second coach. The remaining coaching stock will be available to purchase as individual coaches to complete the set to what ever point people wish to extend to.
        Regards
        Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Hope this helps with this particular livery choice
          Regards
          Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• Cape Town Trev
            Cape Town Trev commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the Electra vinyls and mk3 coaches to do this set. Messed up the power car vinyl so took a pause. If Dapol are going to do this livery please do not make me wait too long for the full set.

• Cape Town Trev
            Cape Town Trev commented
            Editing a comment
            My Electra vinyls are still waiting. Hopefully Dapol will clarify the EC liveries being produced. This is the one I want. Power cars and tgs with buffet in one pack suits me. I would then get one first and three standard classes.

Yes!!!! Fantastic news! I am definitely buying this, just what I need for my modern ECML layout. I do prefer this version of the East Coast livery, great choice!

Are you using your existing tooling to produce the power cars? I have found that on all my HST sets (Cross Country and East Midlands) the bogie wheels grind into the underside of the chassis and I know several others have commented on this issue on other forums. I wondered if you were going to make some design tweaks to rectify this?

Many thanks,
          Ben.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
            Joel Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            We will check this out and see if we can identify the problem. This is the first I have heard about this though, but will check with our technical people.

Originally posted by VoyagerBen View Post
          Yes!!!! Fantastic news! I am definitely buying this, just what I need for my modern ECML layout. I do prefer this version of the East Coast livery, great choice!

Are you using your existing tooling to produce the power cars? I have found that on all my HST sets (Cross Country and East Midlands) the bogie wheels grind into the underside of the chassis and I know several others have commented on this issue on other forums. I wondered if you were going to make some design tweaks to rectify this?

Many thanks,
          Ben.
          The roof details are also incorrect for this livery - but I appreciate that it may not be viable to vary this given the cost of tooling and the size of the market.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
            Joel Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            There are so many variants, I think inevitably compromise is necessary, but it is good to get different viewpoints on what is a compromise too far.

Whilst I cannot contribute in other ways, just wanted to say that the choice of livery is good. I like it. Personally love the silver, but do be careful of that silver, under some light it looks like silver and under other lights it looks like silver with a hint of a blueish tinge to it.

Not sure if you'll posted your intentions to produce certain liveries before, I'll check in a while, but I will be looking out for a Virgin Trains East Coast or GNER one.
          Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Hi Neil,

Good choice of livery.

Just a thought: Most people will want several of the standard trailer, depending on the space they have, but only one Buffet and one TGS per set. Why not package the power cars with the TGS and Buffet coach, and have the standard trailers as the add on coaches? That way you don't need to worry too much about how many of the TGS/Buffet cars to tool up... and no one will moan if the Buffets and TGS's run out later on.

cheers

Ben A.

Comment

• Cape Town Trev
              Cape Town Trev commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree wholeheartedly. I was going to post a similar comment.

• Boco_D2
              Boco_D2 commented
              Editing a comment
              I second that suggestion, I think it would be a much better arrangement.

• Joel Dapol
              Joel Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              A good idea and definitely worthy of consideration, Would this be the case even given the compromise on the buffet cars we modelled?

The choice of a TF & TS with initial booksets was the only option as TGS and Buffets were sadly not available. I do agree and your suggestion is one I would support wholeheartedly. I certainly won't be buying a bookset with a TS and TF ever again unless all the coaches are available. I have a few incomplete sets (Not all HST) due to staggered or non-production.

Comment

[QUOTE=JeremiahBunyan;n4405]

Not sure if you'll posted your intentions to produce certain liveries before, I'll check in a while, but I will be looking out for a Virgin Trains East Coast or GNER one.

I'll go with the Virgin Trains East Coast Livery as well that's a definite one for me

Comment

My retailer as asked me if I want to order some Hst sets. My question it shows a Virgin East Coast set plus coaches and not the livery suggested above ie East coast under Public ownership. Can you confirm the VEC livery is correct please. Pleased about the GNER set as well.

Comment

• DavidInYork
                  DavidInYork commented
                  Editing a comment
                  According to the Hattons website, Dapol are doing all three ECML liveries (GNER, EC and VTEC).

Yes I have found that out since I posted. The East coast livery described as Silver and not as shown previously ie Nation express livery rebranded. Clarification needed pleased.

Comment

Just discovered this post; if it is the EC re-branded NXEC livery, I think i'll skip this offering. I prefer the 'official' EC livery. Although, I have seen that the EC re-branded ones lasted into VTEC, whereby the white 'kite-shaped' portion was painted red & 'Virgin' emblazoned across it.... I'd imagine most/all have now been re-vinyled into 'official' VTEC.

The biggest problem with the East Coast DfT franchise (not EC itself), is that post-GNER, the liveries have been so inconsistent.... there was a NXEC re-branded GNER livery, an official NXEC livery (not sure if it ever made it onto the mk4s though), the EC re-branded NXEC livery, the official EC livery, the VTEC re-branded EC livery and finally the official VTEC livery.... I don't think any single livery has lasted longer than a few years.... a bit frustrating if you want to represent a wide time frame!!!

Comment

• DavidInYork
                    DavidInYork commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Only one trailer set (EC64) ever made it into the grey livery, and that was done with vinyls and fairly late-on. All the others remained in NX livery with EC branding. Most of the power cars were painted in the plain EC grey - can't remember how many power cars remained in the rebranded NX livery by the end, but it wasn't very many. As would be expected, Virgin / Stagecoach vinylled everything pretty quickly once they took over the operation.

Recent franchises are mostly using liveries which aren't tied to an operator's brand so that they can be carried across later (Scotrail, GWR, Transpennine Express, Northern). It is unfortunate that some of these (TPE and Northern especially) are going to date quickly so by the time the franchise ends they will probably be looking at a new livery anyway.
                Working...
                X