No announcement yet.

A good suggestion fot a GWR HST set.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion: A good suggestion fot a GWR HST set.

If you'll do a GWR HST set, how about this? Pwercar #43187 is now named "Y Cymro/The Welshman" and has a dragon on the side. I think it'll be a perfect set...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/30561983355/
    Last edited by JeremiahBunyan; 27 October 2016, 15:37.
    Jeremiah Bunyan...

Originally posted by JeremiahBunyan View Post
    If you'll do a GWR HST set, how about this? Pwercar #43187 is now named "Y Cymro/The Welshman" and has a dragon on the side. I think it'll be a perfect set...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/30561983355/
    For an initial book-set release (Power Car (powered), 2x Mk.3, Power Car (dumy)) I'd prefer basic liveried Power Cars i.e.: 43188.

I'd support 43187 as a loco only release. The idea of loco only releases for HST special liveries has been raised across multiple threads here lately. Joel has posted that dummy locos don't make economic sense for Dapol, or modellers. But I wonder if Joel (or Andy, or Neil) can let us know what Dapol's thinking is on the idea of releasing HST Power Cars as singles, rather than the (to date) practice of releasing them as powered plus dummy twin packs? How likely are you to run with this idea specifically, of releasing powered HST Power Cars as single packs?

Comment

The only problem I can see with this is the fact that to be prototypical it could only run on a layout based on the present time. That is unless you are keen on collecting Class 43 power cars, to be frank this is in a rather insipid livery, there are more colourful ones that could be done.

Geoff c

Comment

Yeah, I think in the first instance lets get standard GWR liveried HSTs, then look at some specials.

With regards to the comments from Dapol about dummies costing about the same as powered, I can appreciate that might be the case on some of the more complex models, but I reckon there isn't too many fiddly fine detail parts on the HST power car, so I would wonder if the HST power car is still one of the more 'cost effective' dummies to produce and thus somewhat more viable as a dummy.... I'm just surmising though based on (as I see it) a few handrails and windscreen wiper - I may be being too simplistic though....

Comment

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          More time than you think I'm afraid, plus all the painting etc. I am really amazed how many man hours it takes to mould, paint and assemble a wagon, never mind a locomotive.

• RailGooner
          RailGooner commented
          Editing a comment
          I wish there was still a meaningful cost difference between powered and dummy. With cost effective dummies, one might assume there to be a greater appetite (amongst manufacturers and consumers) for them. I could then have a display cabinet full of HST specials, and form many trains from only one powered Power Car and one rake of Mk.3s.

But I'm sure Dapol have scrutinized the figures. If their figures are correct then they've correctly assessed my likely response to the RRP of powered/dummy being nearly equal: I'd buy powered all day long and not dummies. Surely if dummies (especially HST Power Cars) were meaningfully cheaper than powered, Dapol would produce them. I'm appreciative that while it was feasible Dapol did produce Dummies, as is MBH! Other manufactures haven't ever shown the same consideration, despite (as it seems to me, due to larger batches of each part number) being in a better position to do so.

So IMHO single item POWERED HST Power Cars seem to be the best bet for me getting all the special liveries I (and others too) want.
          Last edited by RailGooner; 28 October 2016, 11:04.

• JeremiahBunyan
          JeremiahBunyan commented
          Editing a comment
          I for one somehow don't like dummies, while I understand how they aid in double-heading etc, I still feel a dummy loco is less valuable and more like a sitting duck!

Moreover in my opinion a dummy loco is practically same as a powered version just without the motor and it's necessary wiring. Most dummies are still light fitted and many have DCC compatibility. So it's literally the cost of the normal model sans the cost of the motor.

Well it seems that dummies are doomed then.... along with Pound Sterling against US$ and Euro.... so really the question becomes; does Dapol have faith in the market to produce special liveried *powered* HST power cars, ie. will enough people want to pay 'full price' for a one-off livery Joel Dapol ???

I can see some advantage in *powered* one-off power cars, as one always ends up with a few powered models (of any class loco, from any manufacturer) that has an epic technical malfunction, that ends up residing in a siding just on display, which would mean that having a 'spare' *powered* power car offers a useful level of redundancy within the fleet, as and when a unit fails.

Comment

I wonder about twin powered specials say the recent blue grey and intercity redos - not with the gammy vinyl application please! as a collectable. Then the Royal sets and certainly Harry Patch and a GWR green PC Having seen pairs of EMT pc on East coast I wonder if a market for a set of those. I would love a rtr version of the early PCs with the black upper that the BRB had painted out just as a fantasy PC but can alawys paint some up...

The problem would I guess stem with slow sales of the general release NMT cars - a chicken and egg situation as no suitable stock ever appeared rtr.

HSTs still missing include several Western area liveries, MML , GNER and vertiable feast of ECML liveries inc the VTEC strange effort now on the line and not forgetting a NMT. Local hauled Anglia ML and DRS sets come to mind and a sleeper gets my vote how many liveries !!

Comment

Originally posted by robert shrives View Post
            inc the VTEC strange effort now on the line
            'The Flying Coke Can Livery' as I've heard it referred to - quite accurately. Now also with dirty brown lines at various points where dirt gets into the joins between vinyl sections and really shows up against the white.

A definite contender for worst ever HST livery!

Comment

• Joel Dapol
              Joel Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks great from the livery shop though IMO. Beauty I guess is in the eye of the beholder :-) and we will be making pristine versions only, thankfully.

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              One of my favorite liveries is the Virgin Trains East Coast livery...! I think it's outstanding!

Unfortunately a red back base with a white swoosh isn't enough for me to compare it with a Coka-Cola can.

I Would say NO to the suggestion of " If you'll do a GWR HST set, how about this? Pwercar #43187 is now named "Y Cymro/The Welshman" and has a dragon on the side. I think it'll be a perfect set..."

As i'm sure most people who would want this would buy more than one and it'll be easier to rename and number locos if it's the standard set.

I'm also pretty sure if it is a standard set release someone would make the transfers for 43187 "Y Cymro/The Welshman" and the dragon for the sides

Comment

• Joel Dapol
              Joel Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              HI Robin, I have to agree I think we will stick tot he standard unnamed version.
          Working...
          X