This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class 33 Decorated Samples

25th April 2016: The amended decorated samples arrived, there are still one or two minor changes to be made pre-production such as roof colours. One of the 'joys' of project management is the little surprises which we receive, one such is the addition of cab-front lining on 33103 which was not requested. Errors such as this often creep in during the development process and although time consuming, we have fully re-check each sample. A list of identified changes is below:

All models:
    • Paint edges of cab bulkhead black
    • Adjust roof spraymask to make clips same colour as main roof.

D6539
    • RAL 7044 for roof colour
    • Remove dataplate from non rad end.
    • cab bulkhead.

D6571
    • RAL 7044 for roof colour
    • Remove dataplate from non-radiator end.
    • cab bulkhead.

• Orange print missing from MU sockets/plugs

• Orange print missing from MU sockets/plugs

• Roof colour incorrect - Should be RAL 7011

• Roof colour incorrect - should be RAL 7011
    • No white stripe above cab windows (this was not present on previous models)
    • No white stripe below cab windows (this was not present on previous models)

Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

The new paint chips for the Dutch livery roof and all 'skylight' colours have just arrived and approvals given. Matching translucent fibreglass is difficult as it discolours extremely quickly!
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Very nice - love the addition of the Weymouth Tramway bell and light. Who's going to be the first to make it work?

Comment

• Andy Dapol
        Andy Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        I dare you😀

Excellent stuff.. These are on my shopping list.. Only problem is my wallet is hiding under the sofa and won't come out!!

Cheers
      Mark

Comment

These look very nice and I have pre-ordered some.
        Is the square pod on the Dutch versions stuck/clipped onto the cab roof?
        The reason I ask is that I don't think 33103 had that modification in that livery, but would be happily proved wrong if someone has a photo of it with it.
        Also what's the chance of 33046 being produced without the cab front number? As it initially ran without a number, then 046 was applied and finally 33046, it's obviously easier to add a number that remove it.

Thanks,

Keith.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
          Andy Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Keith, Good spot! you are correct 33103 did not have the radio pod until after it's Dutch days. This is a variation allowed for in the models and the deco sample is incorrect.
          Regarding the number, every model is a snapshot in time, it just so happens we chose this particular point in time. However your point makes sense and is quite valid.
          My only concern is: Were there any other detail changes along with the running number on the front? i.e. fuel tank, or other livery/lettering issues that maybe incorrect if the front number was deleted?

• Keith Ware
          Keith Ware commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Andy,
          I have been looking through some photo's of 33046, looks like there are no changes to livery elements or fuel tank on the earlier version without the number on the cab front compared to your version with the number on the cab front. However I have noticed one thing which if you have tooled up the body to reflect this then all credit to you as it took me a while to spot it. The number 1 end has no marker lights, probably a cab repair after crash damage?? Number 2 end has marker lights though they are painted over.

Hope this helps,

Keith.

The point of a cocktail stick rubbed over the number should remove it.. if it's a bit stubborn then add a touch of t-cut.
        Cheers
        Mark

Comment

Its good to see these in the flesh, as it were.
          I have modified so many Minitrix 27s to look like 33s in my time, and then put up with the Farish strange bogie version, I have almost forgotten what they should really look like. Cant wait to get this alongside the Heljan 33 in OO, as this to me has the right bearing and presence. If this is anything like the Dapol 27 (of which I have a beautifully weathered D5381 by TMC for my inter-regional London freight) it should be a cracker. I have eight on order (four green, four blue) for renumbering! Did I say I was a southern modeller?

Comment

I wonder if I should order 33102 in anticipation of a 4TC in N!

Comment

How about this. Purchase two underpowered Farish 4-CEPs going cheap (sorry Dapol for mentioning the other chaps). Overlay BHE sides and ends for a 4-TC and a 4-REP onto both. Swap the power cars around so the TC is unpowered, and you actually get a 4-REP with two power units (which is the right amount of power for a Farish 4-car EMU IMHO) and a lovely TC which if you did a good modification, retained the headcode lighting. You will be waiting a long time for a 4-TC in N otherwise.
              Oh and buy the 33/1 anyway, because its lovely.

Comment

• Postie32uk
                Postie32uk commented
                Editing a comment
                Why hasn't anyone produced a dummy unit for these locos is a mystery to me in N and 00 with the Heljan 00 and now Dapol N someone must remember them hauling the emu down to Weymouth not just me?

The pictures suggest black window surrounds (same as the blue/grey class 121's). Hope not - this would spoil the model.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
                Andy Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi, Looking at the pictures I think you are referring to the Green & Blue liveries? If so, this is a 'trick of the light' caused by the camera angle, it's not at all apparent under normal viewing conditions and is not a printed/painted effect.

Viz 4TC spoke to Bachmann stand staff at GCR event last weekend and chance of a N gauge model promptly discounted as market not big enough for them and Kernnow have publicly on other models said no to n gauge - the thumper for example, so Dapol have a wonderful chance to start a Mk1 model range and pick up on missing models on the 64 foot chassis. Cannot wait for 33s, even if 33103 has roof NRN plate it will pop off for sure
              Robert

Comment

• Crepello
                Crepello commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for that info Robert, although it's negative; at least it's saved me the price of a 33/1!

• LeftToMyOwnDevices
                LeftToMyOwnDevices commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s a real shame, as a 4TC would surely help to drive up sales for the 33 102. You could even to do them together as a box-set…!

If Dapol don’t feel like ‘tooling-up’ up for it, then would anyone (Revolution…?) like to commission Farish to do a limited run? As far as I can surmise, they would only need to ‘tool-up’ for the DTSO at each end. I think the TFK is basically an FK (without buffers) and the TBSK is a BSK (without buffers). They already do an FK and a BSK (I have both types, in green!), so they have already got half of it done already. Just need fitting a B4-type bogie throughout, perhaps…?

So, please sing-a-long with me:
                “all I want is a 4TC…
                far away, it’s the best for me,
                with one N-norMOus 33…
                oh, wouldn’t it be luv-erly…?!”.

On a more positive note, I have now stopped buying any more second-hand Farish Class 33 models, in anticipation of Dapol’s own imminent arrival…

Charles.

• Bob G
                Bob G commented
                Editing a comment
                When Farish did the 4-CEP I thought they would only need to tool up one coach for the two driving ends, as the CK and SK were really Mk 1s they already did, but no, they did the whole train as if it was completely new. I don't understand the logic except for the super-accuracy they can get with roof details and underframe details etc.
                So they are unlikely to do a 4-TC as you have suggested. Or put the Kernow ones through the shrink ray (still waiting on the Thumper, the 2-HAP, the MLV...)
                Bob

The yellow paint on 33 030 looks likes in goes onto the roof grill slightly and looks very fuzzy on that edge (5th photo above). This area of painting looks much better on the other liveries.

Also I'm sure you are aware but 33 102 doesn't have any door handrails.

Colin
              Last edited by Crooked Spire; 23 June 2016, 21:26.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
                Andy Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi, Many thanks for your eagle eyed alertness!
                One issue with decoration samples is that they are hand made. This can cause variations in finish, also items such as handrails can occasionally be missing; especially if the purpose of that sample was purely for paint proofing.
                However, one cannot be complacent, and issues such as this are always commented on to avoid errors from being missed.

Great looking Loco---Only problem --my area of interest is the green one!!!---could/should I be tempted to go "Dutch"---will look forward to seeing some "Sectorised" for further temptation.

Comment

The Class 33 is coming along nicely - can't wait to add one to my collection. Any chance of a blue liveried D pre-fix numbered loco?

Comment

I will be adding one with no warning panel to my fleet just as soon as they become available
                  Last edited by Hailstone; 14 July 2016, 17:35.

Comment

• Crepello
                    Crepello commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This version should be popular as the 33s lasted until 1966, according to my evidence, before succumbing to the yellow cab-fronts.

• newportnobby
                    newportnobby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The Southern Region were notoriously late in applying yellow fronts
                Working...
                X