Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class 33 motor noise and light failure

Hi

I took delivery of a blue 33 (2D-001-000) yesterday and it's an excellent loco to look at, really captures the 33.

Unfortunately the motor is surprisingly load, like a small chainsaw running around the layout, and hasn't changed substantially with running in (no lubrication applied, instructions said it wasn't needed). It's certainly one of the loudest I own. I can just about live with that, however when running it earlier today it went over a point, there was a visible spark underneath and a small pall of acrid smoke, after which the lighting in one direction no longer worked. The point in question is a Kato Unitrack #4 which has not caused any issues with any other of the wide range of locos which have run over it; a couple of people have mentioned potential issues with wheel back-to-backs?

My conundrum is that I live in Japan and sending locos back for repair costs real money (I got dinged for about 3000 yen on postage and customs last time I sent one back). How can I resolve this without ending up (too much) out-of-pocket? Is there a replacement part available? Can solder if necessary. TBH I'd rather be able to repair these myself in case it happens again, especially out of guarantee. Come to think of it I have a Western with the same issue, though I didn't notice whether it was out of the box like that or failed while running.

Thanks

railsquid

Hi, railsquid Noisy models can be tricky to troubleshoot remotely so with your help, lets try to work through it from a distance.
    The first thing is to check that nothing has moved in transit. in practice there is very little on this model that can move, but occasionally the bogies can loose location in in the chassis, this causes the worm gear to engage the gear in the bogie at the wrong angle, causing a 'buzzing' sound. 1st thing is to follow the suggestions I gave to newportnobby :
    1) Remove the bogies (gently, but firmly pull away from the loco)
    2) Check the brass worm (visible inside the body) for any foreign objects/debris.
    3) Do the same for the bogie mounted gear, check for any sign of moulding flash on the topmost gear, also check for wear, since if the bogie was not seated correctly then it may have accelerated wear of the main gear. If so, return/exchange.
    4) Optional:if nothing is visible, you could apply 12v power to to visible pickup strips at this point, if the noise is still there, then the problem is internal. (this would be especially good to know in your case!)
    5) Refit the bogies by pushing back into the chassis (you will hear a click when they locate)

Retest the model. If the noise is still there, but was not present in step 4, one or other bogie has an issue. If the noise was present in step 4, then its an exchange/repair part.

Perhaps you could try the above and report back?

I'm more than happy to send out parts if we can determine with some accuracy what is needed, I'm also interested to locate the exact issue, as by doing so, it can be ironed out in the future.
    Last edited by Andy Dapol; 13 October 2016, 17:51. Reason: added emphasis
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll have a look when I get a quiet moment (small child in house makes that difficult).

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Dapol View Post
        Hi, railsquid Noisy models can be tricky to troubleshoot remotely so with your help, lets try to work through it from a distance.
        The first thing is to check that nothing has moved in transit. in practice there is very little on this model that can move, but occasionally the bogies can loose location in in the chassis, this causes the worm gear to engage the gear in the bogie at the wrong angle, causing a 'buzzing' sound. 1st thing is to follow the suggestions I gave to newportnobby :
        1) Remove the bogies (gently, but firmly pull away from the loco)
        2) Check the brass worm (visible inside the body) for any foreign objects/debris.
        3) Do the same for the bogie mounted gear, check for any sign of moulding flash on the topmost gear, also check for wear, since if the bogie was not seated correctly then it may have accelerated wear of the main gear. If so, return/exchange.
        4) Optional:if nothing is visible, you could apply 12v power to to visible pickup strips at this point, if the noise is still there, then the problem is internal. (this would be especially good to know in your case!).

So, finally got round to looking at this; no sign of anything untowards in the bogie gears or brass worms. I've applied power from a 9 volt battery to the contact strips and it does seem the noise is internal - I'll upload a video later. It looks a bit tricky to take the bodyshell off, so I haven't peeked further inside.

Methinks I'll be sending this to DCC supplies under warranty, probably in the New Year now.

Comment

Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFMGjOHdA5s

Sounds even noisier when running on the layout.

Comment

• newportnobby
            newportnobby commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome to my world.

FWIW the 33 is now on its way back to the retailer - never occurred to me to check their returns policy - for replacement.

In the meantime I've also received a Class 27 (Dapol not Minitrix) which (touch wood) runs acceptably quietly with all lights present and correct. All lovely models, just wish for a bit more consistency and reliability in the lighting/motor departments.

Comment

Replacement on its way, fingers crossed. Moreover a green one arrived today (2nd hand as new-condition), works perfectly (fingers crossed, wood touched), lovely loco.

Comment

Replacement has arrived, also running fine.

Comment

Working...
              X