Class 33 Production discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class 33 Production discussion

Do we have an RRP for the Class 33s as they are not yet on the website shop area.

Having picked up a 33 Crompton at the open day I'm very impressed with this diesel loco I can't wait to get the full BR green one & later on the Network Southeast one later on Great work Dapol will you release dummy versions in the future for double heading working ?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
      Joel Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad you like the loco, it's great to hear. We will look at Dummy locos later. The only problem is that the pricing differential is not as large as it used to be as the assembly costs for both dummy and working locos are not that different and it is the assembly costs that form a larger part of the total costs these days.

• Jeff Eastmond
      Jeff Eastmond commented
      Editing a comment
      I have found that with more recent models the motors are more consistent in their performance, and double-heading on DC with two powered locos is less of a headache than in the past. I'd rather have two locos that work on their own that can occasionally be put together for a bit of power working than have one sitting idle most of the time...

I've had the Crompton I purchased on Saturday on the rolling road for a few minutes just to check it out before I take it down the Club for an extended running in session tonight, works well, and will be a cracking addition to the stable. Just waiting for the pre-order non-yellow panel one to be received from a certain large box-shifter.

As an aside, what defines an NQP model? I bought a Britannia in the NQP scrum on Saturday and can't see any detail problems with it, and it runs well, if noisily - but then my other one did this initially, anyway. Bargain at £35...
      Last edited by Jeff Eastmond; 4 October 2016, 09:04.

• Andy Dapol
      Andy Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Jeff, Thanks for the feedback. We've made changes over the past 3 years to production methods which have improved the motors consistently. This will assist with double heading, also, if you use DCC then a good quality decoder will have excellent BEMF control, in a nutshell, this allows the decoders to even out the tugging and shoving between double headers even further.

Regarding NQPs: These are models which have failed the QC tests on arrival at Chirk. In this case the model in all probability was judged to be too noisy 'out of the box' If you are interested, then DCC Supplies offer Graded (A -D) models which are either uneconomical to repair or have been slightly damaged in some way. Link here: https://www.dccsupplies.com/cl-325/dapol-outlet.htm

RRPs are: £128.02 for the DC version and £153.61 DCC Fitted.
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Cracking model. almost as good as my Minitrix hacks from 1976
      Got six so far - 3x green NYE, 1x green SYE, 2x blue FYE. Awaiting 2x blue bagpipes, and the next batch with relish.

The bogies really are a huge improvement on the Farish version, although the Farish body itself was not bad in its day.
      Happy to have moulded handrails on the front and proper handrails on the doors - a sensible bit of value engineering there I think.
      The see through side grills are superb too, and the open window and light switch underneath a neat touch.

Can someone from Dapol explain how to fit the snowploughs? And do they negate the coupling being present? (snowploughs being fitted normally at both ends of the loco).
      I have tried to see how they fit. Obviously not over the NEM pocket, so does the entire NEM spring fitting have to come out?
      Might have to do some butchery and retain the side blades but keep the coupling present (something I believe that used to happen on the real ones too, in summer, as coupling these beasts was quite awkward with the centre Vee in place)

Anyway, well done chaps. Can we have silver roofed versions of Earl Mountbatten of Burma and Burma Star soon?

Best
      Bob

Comment

• Andy Dapol
        Andy Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Bob,
        Thanks for your kind comments. Yes, the NEM spring needs to be removed to fit the ploughs (they pull out, use a pair of needle nose pliers). A compromise due to limited space I'm afraid.
        We will announce the next production early next year.
        Last edited by Andy Dapol; 7 October 2016, 13:32.

The website shop will be getting updated shortly.
      Regards
      Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

I took delivery of my green SYP version yesterday and almost returned it thinking the rear lights didn't work. Thankfully someone on the N gauge forum put me right. I knew there was a switch somewhere but just couldn't see it and there was no mention in the instructions. Can I ask if there is any reason not to fit headcodes as Farish did, as instead we have 2 very brightly lit rectangles? Now to the worst bit in my opinion - the noise. I ran it in for the recommended period each way and it was still this noisy..............
        https://www.dropbox.com/s/oqq4q5gzvi...%2033.MOV?dl=0

This morning I have run it for another half hour in each direction and the whine has not abated.
        Sorry to be negative but, having the old Farish one, I am starting to wonder why I spent over £100.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
          Andy Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi @newportnobby,

Head codes appear bright under DCC, it's a compromise, as under DC they must still light at lower voltages (slower speed), so will be brighter at higher speeds. Most DCC decoders allow dimming of the lights (ref. your decoder manual/supplier) its easy to set them exactly as you wish. Factory applied head codes are almost always 'wrong' for many peoples needs (depends on where you are modelling, and what is being hauled etc.) There are many excellent waterslide transfers available e.g. http://www.railtec-models.com/showitem.php?id=1005 so we felt this was a reasonable option. Your will find that applying head codes will also reduce the brightness of the HC box lamps.

Listening to your video it sounds like something is not right with the drive train, that sound is not 'usual', and the 33s I have tested are quiet.
          It could be the drive gear not engaging with the worms correctly, so (If you wish, before you return), you could try this:

1) Remove the bogies (gently, but firmly pull away from the loco)
          2) Check the brass worm (visible inside the body) for any foreign objects/debris.
          3) Do the same for the bogie mounted gear, check for any sign of moulding flash on the topmost gear, also check for wear, since if the bogie was not seated correctly then it may have accelerated wear of the main gear. If so, return/exchange.
          4) Optional:if nothing is visible, you could apply 12v power to to visible pickup strips at this point, if the noise is still there, then the problem is internal.
          5) Refit the bogies by pushing back into the chassis (you will hear a click when they locate)

Retest the model. If the noise is still there, but was not present in step 4, one or other bogie has an issue. If the noise was present in step 4, then its an exchange/repair.

Regardless of this of course, you have the choice of requesting an exchange/refund from your dealer, or a repair via our agents.

Thanks Andy - will make a few checks but I run DC not DCC (yep - I'm a dinsosaur)

Comment

I have just got round to unpacking and running in my D6571 and decided to compare it to my class 26 and 27 and was a little surprised to notice that there was no visible engine exhaust port, so I checked the pictures on the project managers blog and it appears to be missing there too! but only on the model with no yellow panel. has anyone else noticed this?

Regards,

Alex

Comment

The green model is correct as can be seen from the attached photo. The exhaust port was different when originally delivered

Colin

Comment

• Hailstone
              Hailstone commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you very much, I had been unable to get a clear picture of the roofs of early 33's. can you tell me when they started to change them?

Regards,

Alex

• Crooked Spire
              Crooked Spire commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Alex

I'm not sure when the modifications were started and from looking in the reference books I have I cannot find any information on it. It is possible it was when they were painted in BR Blue. I have not been able to find any picture of a 33 with the exhaust modification that is not in blue livery, also blue livery was applied when locomotives went through the works either for an overhaul or for major repair

see my post below for more information and some images (couldn't find out how to attach images to a reply to a post)

Colin

• Jeff Eastmond
              Jeff Eastmond commented
              Editing a comment
              I've been wondering about the exhaust port on my Green Type 3s, and can see what I presume is the original location at the edge of the square roof panel above the first bodyside window in the picture. I can't see a corresponding recess in the same place on my 'no panel' model. The SYP model has the revised arrangement, which is probably wrong.

EDIT: Having read further down, I am still confused. Looks like I will be getting the paint out and putting a black blob roughly where the exhaust port should be - on the opposite side of the roof to the 'feature' noted in the previous paragraph...
              Last edited by Jeff Eastmond; 28 November 2016, 08:29.

Hoping to receive mine at some point this week. I've ordered the Dutch one, but I'm also after a BR Blue 33/1 but require one with a headlight, is one of those in the pipeline, or available, if so which do I order? Also and I know this is thinking ahead but don't think I've seen anybody ask, will there be a 33/2 'Slim Jim' in the future?

Comment

• Neil Dapol
              Neil Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              33/0's were the first batch t arrive, 33/1's won't be far behind.... interesting concept with the 33/2's possibly worth investigating, but as BRCW found out could be expensive to make.

(cont. from my reply to Alex above as I wanted to insert images)

I believe the green model has a minor issue in that the original exhaust port has not been modelled (although I have only seen pictures of the model). On the low quality picture below I have highlighted where the exhaust port is and it should be a circular hole in the roof. It is possible it was not practical to model this. If you look at the Heljan OO model in green livery they have modelled the exhaust port.

Click image for larger version  Name:	D6510 Exhaust port.jpg Views:	1 Size:	252.3 KB ID:	3072

I believe the Green SYP model should also have been produced from the same mouldings as the green liveried model and as currently produced is incorrect . As well as the exhaust port being changed, when the modification was done the removable panels had retaining clips added. These retaining clips have been modelled on all except the full green liveried model.

I have not been able to find a picture of any green SYP with the modification made. Even without a full roof view it can be determined if it has been modified by looking for the retaining clips which are prominent. The first picture below shows D6552 in green SYP taken in May 1969 and the second picture shows D6502 in green FYP taken in December 1968 both with original exhaust ports and roof panels

Click image for larger version  Name:	D6652 May 1969 green SYP.jpg Views:	3 Size:	476.5 KB ID:	3077

Click image for larger version  Name:	D6562 December 1968 green FYP.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.65 MB ID:	3078

The dates these images were taken and that the locomotives have still to receive the modifications to the roof panels and exhaust ports leads me to believe that only the BR Blue onwards liveried locomotives had the changes made. This would give a date around 1967 for the modifications to have started being made

The last picture shows D6520 is BR Blue livery in March 1967 with the modifications made and clearly shows the retaining clips for the roof panels

Click image for larger version

Name:	D6520  March 1967 BR Blue modified exhaust.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	3080

Colin
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Crooked Spire; 12 October 2016, 22:47.

Comment

I am so disappointed to read in reviews in two mags and online that the painting of the green models is not perfect. I have a green and a blue on order and although I will see for myself I believe that I will have to cancel the green one. I am not a rivet counter but regretfully accept that quality control has failed in the paint application and hope that this will be addressed speedily.

I am eager to buy a well painted 33.

Gerry

Comment

• Andy Dapol
                Andy Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                Hi, I'm sorry you are disappointed after reading reviews Gerry. Having read the RM review myself, I agree that this models not up to the expected standard, nor is it to the standard of other examples of this model I have examined myself. However, the majority of comments I have read are complimentary about the models inclusive of its finish.and running.
                I am sure that if you were to examine one for in the flesh, then you will have no difficulty in finding an example which is satisfactory.

Originally posted by newportnobby View Post
              Thanks Andy - will make a few checks but I run DC not DCC (yep - I'm a dinsosaur)
              I removed the bogies and checked for foreign bodies but could not find anything so it has gone back to the retailer for replacement. Watch this space.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
                Andy Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry that you had to do this, its a shame (with hindsight) that I did not suggest you contact us directly for an exchange, as I would have liked to examine this model myself to locate the issue. However, I'm sure you'll update us once you receive the replacement.

Originally posted by gerry9253 View Post
              I am so disappointed to read in reviews in two mags and online that the painting of the green models is not perfect. I have a green and a blue on order and although I will see for myself I believe that I will have to cancel the green one. I am not a rivet counter but regretfully accept that quality control has failed in the paint application and hope that this will be addressed speedily.

I am eager to buy a well painted 33.

Gerry
              I have to say the paint job on the one I have just returned was immaculate. The photos show a Dapol - Farish comparison I was making for the N Gauge Forum.
              The one that Railway Modeller had was certainly a very poor example, though.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                Joel Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, the ones we checked were all fine. Perhaps we thoroughly vet review samples before we send them, especially as we generally get accused of this anyway..

Re SYP 33 it is really a great starting point for 33008 Eastleigh in one of its many versions correct exhaust ! just need to renumber and add orange lines and ole flashes ! - every cloud ......! :-}
              Robert

Comment

Working...
              X