N Class 142 Opening post:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N Class 142 Opening post:

The artwork is being prepared for this model as the tooling has now been modified from its original form. We took the opportunity to add some variations in the form of radio pods and some additional detail as shown in the photograph (this Engineering prototype is a combination of roof types and other detail) The tooling modification addressed an inaccuracy in the windows, in that the overall window height was 0.8mm too narrow.
    All model features remain the same:
    • Pickup from both axles in both cars
    • Low profile motor
    • Dapols unique 'No-Gap' corridor connector
    • Operating lights
    • Lightbar ready
    • DCC (6 Pin) ready
    • Working Scharfenberg coupling
    • Two door types
    • Large & Small headcodes
    • Roof ribbing variations

Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

As someone who wants to start out in British N gauge....Me thinks this is good starting point. Must put in a pre-order in the next couple of weeks.
    Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

• Francis
      Francis commented
      Editing a comment
      This could turn out to be a cracking model, Andy. Glad you've been able to sort the windows. Looking forward to seeing the latest shots when they're ready. Definitely one on the "to buy list" if everything goes to plan. Best of luck with it. Adrian

This looks very good.. Any idea of how soon we could see a painted sample?

Cheers
    Mark

Comment

• Joel Dapol
      Joel Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      We are just checking the decorated artwork now, so samples should not be too long, probably 4 or 5 weeks.

• JeremiahBunyan
      JeremiahBunyan commented
      Editing a comment
      Can't wait then!

Excellent news. Thank you Joel Dapol . Looking forward to seeing them.

Cheers
    Mark

Comment

Looking very good.
      Any chance of a Chocolate and Cream Skipper? Perhaps from Kernow or Osborns?
      And definitely with the DCC sound of squealing wheels on Cornish branchlines.
      Of course to go with the 117 you are going to produce

I do hope so.
      Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Bob G View Post
        Looking very good.
        Any chance of a Chocolate and Cream Skipper? Perhaps from Kernow or Osborns?
        And definitely with the DCC sound of squealing wheels on Cornish branchlines.
        Of course to go with the 117 you are going to produce

I do hope so.
        Bob
        AH chocolate and cream yes please

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Dallimore View Post

AH chocolate and cream yes please
          Sounds tasty...
          Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Working on the next set [of liveries] for Donkeys at the moment! I'm sure one will be more Skipper than Donkey!
            Last edited by Andy Dapol; 27 June 2016, 15:29.
            Regards
            Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              You got me excited there for a min..!

• ADHDboy
              ADHDboy commented
              Editing a comment
              Original provincial livery would be nice, appreciate there are differences on doors etc though so may not happen

• sawyerm1982
              sawyerm1982 commented
              Editing a comment
              ADHAboy - provincial livery was found on examples with both the original and revised doors so should'nt be a problem.

Here is a link to one in 1989 in provincial with original 4 piece doors painted blue...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/941309...-NFas5N-NNetMu

And here is a link to one still in provincial with newer style yellow doors in I would say early 90's given that the GMPTE one still has original doors and full glass upper destination blinds...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/metrom...-dw4nVz-5xJiWG

I think the last provincial liveried pacer survived until 1998/99

Hi Andy
            will the axles be fixed as with the real thing, or will they rotate a little to get the units found the curves?
            Cheers, Ged.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              As each unit only has two axles I don't see the need for them to rotate. They aren't that long either.

• Andy Dapol
              Andy Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              Axles do rotate, they are pin-point types. As a result there is little/no side play, also they do not 'swing' but don't worry about tight curves, I have tested it on R1 (9 inch) curves and it runs just fine.
              Last edited by Andy Dapol; 1 July 2016, 09:52. Reason: added radius in inches

Jeremiah - they are long for a vehicle without bogies (the same-ish wheelbase as a VGA)!

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes I am aware of their length. But they aren't so long to need rotating axles.

Well it depends on what radius you are talking about - have you ever run a VGA round 9 inch curves? IIRC the Pacers are actually slightly longer wheelbases than VGAs (which will just about go round 9" curves). It also depends how much slop there is in the wheelsets.

Comment

• Francis
              Francis commented
              Editing a comment
              That's correct about the wheelbase Mike. The VGA are 29ft 6inch whereas each car of the 142 is 30 ft

ADRIAN

Andy, could I ask a qs about the 142 in Northern livery please?

Will the livery carry the WWW.NorthernRail.Org branding on the side panel and also the Northern logo etc towards the inner ends. I ask because I've just come across a photo of the real thing in Northern colours but devoid of any badging!

Thanks very much

Adrian

Comment

• VoyagerBen
              VoyagerBen commented
              Editing a comment
              I really hope so.

The logos have been removed on quite a few...if not most Northern Rail trains. It is not exclusive to the class 142s. I assume the logos have been removed because the Northern franchise changed hands in April. It is now called Northern and is run by Arriva.

Kind regards,
              Ben.

• Joel Dapol
              Joel Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi Francis, the liveries we are making are complete with the full Northern Rail branding. We have just gone through the corrections on the first sets of artwork, but will post the next iterations here when they come though.

• Francis
              Francis commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for your reply, Joel.
              Responded by placing a pre-order!!

Adrian

I am looking forward to this model.

Will wait for GMPTE or Provincial livery though, and then probably buy both!

Tim

Comment

I too am hoping for GMPTE and Provincial, I was astounded that these two liveries were omitted from your first release, seem as it was 2 of the first three liveries that the class ever carried. I must say, though, that the look of the model is superb!

Ste

Comment

Could you scale this up to oo gauge ?, seeming as all the researching and development has been done, and that you have covered the differences with the roof's and door's and other details, I am sure it would be a very good seller in oo gauge, the Hornby one looks very tired and toy like now.
                The only thing that could stop you wanting to upscale it to oo gauge is if Realtrack model's is doing the class 142.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                  Joel Dapol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think that may be a real possibility. However, if a OO model does not come to the market soon then this may be a good choice of model.
              Working...
              X