Class 142 Decorated Samples

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class 142 Decorated Samples

Class 142 decorated samples have been reviewed and instruction for adjustments have been drawn up, photographs have been uploaded here for constructive comments to be posted by the public to iron out any wrinkles in the liveries. Comments will be discussed by the team here at Dapol and where relevant included in the final rendition of our improvement instructions.

Some points already raised - window surrounds are not the correct colour, Destination board surround not the correct colour, destination boards and text not correct colour, ATW needs window "Bluing out" and that the doors are not the correct colour.
    Regards
    Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Cheers for sharing pics

Any idea on delivery as some adverts have them down for June?

Appreciate this is jumping ahead slightly but can you confirm what liveries will be done next? I have ordered one from the first batch but there are other liveries I would prefer to have models of.

Best wishes

Tim

Comment

• Neil Dapol
      Neil Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      with some slight deco tweaks things may slip slightly but we will be making best efforts to minimize any impact. As for the next batch these have not been decided upon yet.

Kind Regards

Neil

Hi Neil

Nice work - looking forward to the Pacers arriving.

I've only looked at the liveries I'm interested in, but here are a few comments:

142025 Northern Spirit: the bottom turquoise "indent" of the N does not come up high enough on the body, it should come up about 3/4 of the height to the window, see: https://www.flickr.com/photos/markegdell/31677421933/

142021: looks good. The giveaway for the turquoise band should be whether it lines up correctly on the other side with the grilles along the body side that we can't see.

142065 Northern Rail: I'm not convinced that the blue is the right shade, but that might be a trick of the light. On 55761 the final window on the opposite side to the image should have no frame and be whited out for a toilet. On the side of 55761 we can see I think that the white and purple swoops need either to be a wider at the top or need to be moved a little to the left. The sample has the purple swoop finishing shortly after the start of the second window (top) in but the real thing has the purple swoop finishing further down the window (more like 1/3 to 1/2 way along the top of the window): https://www.flickr.com/photos/sboothby/33650931711/ Also note that 55761 has an all light blue disabled vinyl on the toilet side of 55761 see: https://www.flickr.com/photos/105285...6/17133574456/ Finally the blue half of the N in a circle should not be the base blue but a lighter colour (see previous link).

142081 Regional Railways: should the door step be painted yellow?

It would be useful to see both sides of each unit.

Cheers, Mike

Comment

• Neil Dapol
      Neil Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      Good comments Mike, I will discuss them with the team and make use of them.

Kind regards

Neil

Thanks for sharing the pictures with us Neil Dapol
    The model itself looks brilliant, just make sure the toilet window is not a hopper window. The livery application is, understandably, not going to be perfect, as it has been hand painted, but i'd be happy with those paint jobs. my only criticism is which Regional Railways unit was chosen, one unit chosen is Arriva Trains Wales, the other four all operated the wrong side of the Pennines for me, I do understand you can't please everyone, not one example that ran in Manchester though, we have 60ish of them, and we have from new!

Looking forward to them hitting the shelves, i'm still planning on more than one, but it looks like Reggie Rail for me, for now.
    Last edited by beeshill; 1 June 2017, 09:28.

Comment

beeshill I noticed the same thing that most of the chosen sets were for the NE/Yorkshire side of the country - slightly annoying, so guess I'll have to check whether any of the sets ever made it to the NW in those liveries or do some re-numbering.

Cheers, Mike

Comment

• beeshill
        beeshill commented
        Editing a comment
        It depends when you are modelling. The Northern unit almost definitely would've done. Northern Spirit would only've visited Carlisle. Tyne & Wear may've gone to Carlisle. The Regional Railways unit probably not that unit, but 142028 was allocated to Newton Heath in RR, can't remember if there was any others though.

All from recollection.

The running numbers in question have been advertised for some time now and it was decided it best to honor the announced models, rather than chopping and changing things so late in the day. I'm sure suggestions for future models will be welcomed when the time for batch number two comes around..... so get your Geography hats on...
      Regards
      Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

I appreciate that Neil Dapol i had commented on it earlier, although it doesn't appear to've been on "Digest", doh :-)

As for future models,
        142001-14 all carried GMPTE original allocated to Newton Heath
        142015-27 all carried Chocolate & Cream original allocation Laira, then 142017/23/24/26/27 Newton Heath, the rest Neville Hill
        142028-96 all carried Provincial, 28-49/51-70/96 Newton Heath, the rest Neville Hill

All above info was, as of, 1988.

I still say, though, the model looks superb, I am really looking forward to a Regional Railways unit.

Comment

Looking good. I would say that the purple on the Northern unit seems very dark and should contrast more with with the dark blue.

Comment

Looking at the Regional Railways version is the wrap around of the livery at the inner ends correct? It looks odd to me particularly in relation to the exhaust pipes.

Comment

We are going through the liveries again in some detail tomorrow (6th June) so thank you all for your input which will form the basis of the review,. A list of the of amendments will be posted in the next day or so. Thanks again.
              Regards
              Joel

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                JeremiahBunyan commented
                Editing a comment
                Looking forward to the list of amendments being published here.

Cheers

This afternoon I had an email from Hattons advising me that the Arriva Wales dummy has been cancelled. I think I only expressed an interest in the ATW units. Any reason why the dummy is being cancelled?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                Joel Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                The difference in costs on the dummy and motorised are now so small now that I doubt we would sell many. The last few years have seen the assembly cost aspect of a model escalate considerably compared to the direct material costs, this effectively means that anything that is produced that is complex and involves a lot of labour will increase as a greater proportion. This I am afraid probably rules out dummies in future. Bad news I know :-(

Hi Joel Dapol did anything new crop up in the meeting last week regarding liveries?
              Just thought i'd ask!

Thanks

Comment

Neil,
                Don't know if it's been said elsewhere but on the Northern Spirit turquoise and lime livery the tumble home should be grey.
                The vehicle side numbers should be on the lowest vertical section of the body side not the tumble home.
                The lime N should not extend to the tumble home.
                Looking forward to the release of these models...
                Any idea when the final revisions will be signed off for production?

Comment

• Neil Dapol
                  Neil Dapol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi there,

The points you have raised have already been passed on to the factory for correction. However I would like to thank you for your input.

Kind Regards

Neil

The leaflet I picked up from the Dapol stand at TINGS eartlier this month referred to dummy units being part of the Class 142 range, although I note that none of ones listed by retailers are dummies at the moment. Is it still intended to produce dummy units, please?

Comment

I had the Northern Rail dummy on order from Hattons and had an email saying the order would be cancelled as it wouldn't be produced. Only powered versions are being done.

Comment

Working...
                  X