New Next18 Class 121 Lights issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Next18 Class 121 Lights issue

Ok so after promising to never but another Dapol product after fiasco with the 4 6pin versions of the class 121 & class 122 and their lights not working properly, I succumbed to temptation an bought one of the new Next18 versions, hoping for some improvements

What a mistake to make that was, Headcode light and Head and tail lights only work at one end and that,s the end with the exhaust pipes, what is wrong with Dapols QC this is beyond a joke now.

This really is the last Dapol Product I will buy.

I can’t speak for the DCC aspects, but I had an ATW 121 from this new batch and its running qualities were SO POOR, after several replacements (all of which were equally as bad), I abandoned it and took a full refund. Shame really, because it was a lovely model in all other respects - good crisp paint work and nicely detailed.

I have to agree though; what kinda QC process does Dapol have....?.... cos if their QC includes ‘runs like crap’, that would be why my examples got through QC....!

Comment

• Joel Dapol
      Joel Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your comments. Jeanette H did you buy a DCC fitted version or did you fit it yourself?

JRP, of course we have a QC system. All chassis are tested at the factory as this is a simple operation at the end of the assembly stage. When the products arrive in the UK we check a sample and if okay we pass for dispatch. At the end of the day if we have a 100% fail rate, what's the point in sending them out? You do not explain why the products failed, perhaps this would offer some further insight. It would also be interesting to know your preferred retailer? I presume as these are replacements they are aware of your issues.

Incidentally, I would prefer that these discussions are discussed civilly without the need of pointless insults, I do not want this place to be a facsimile of other toxic and unpleasant places other wise found on the internet. We are striving for improvements and constructive criticism is the key

Kind Regards

Joel

Mine was bought DCC ready and I fitted a LaisDCC 6 function decoder which is the same as the Dapol Imperium decoders so would have thought it would work as designed.

most Next18 decoders are 4 function so needing a 6 function like the Imperium/laisDCC rather limits choice

how are the lights supposed to work on this model, just in case I am misunderstanding something here.

thanks

Comment

• Joel Dapol
      Joel Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      The decoders may need re-programming prior to use to cover all the functions so may not work straight out the packet. This is certainly true for the Class 68 and other of our recent locomotives that require more than 4 functions to operate fully. I have asked our technical manager to answer this, but he is currently out of the office so it may take a day or so so please be patient.

I can confirm the decoder will need a little programming. Please see the attached which should help.

Let me know if this does not resolve your issues.
    Attached Files
    Regards
    Joel

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• Pleno Organo
      Pleno Organo commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Joel,
      Two things, firstly many thanks for yur assistance with my class 121 purchase from Ttd Models at Tings. It was much appreciated.
      Secondly, I have read the above file which appears somewhat contradictory. It is headed N gauge, but then goes on to describe the Imperium 21 pin decoder. The N gauge models have a Next18 decoder not 21 pin. I have since found a post on RMWeb by JPendle which discribes how to map functions on a Next18 decoder. By following his instructions it is possible to alter the functions so that F0 is for the No.1 end (which is the exhaust end, not as discribed in the file, the non exhaust end) and F1 for the No.2 end. Both are directional, so attaching to another unit, whichever end is attached can be switched off and the leading end, switched on. The same proceedure also applies to other N gauge models with lights, using Next18 decoders.
      I hope this may be of assistance to other readers.

Originally posted by Jeanette-H View Post
    Ok so after promising to never but another Dapol product after fiasco with the 4 6pin versions of the class 121 & class 122 and their lights not working properly, I succumbed to temptation an bought one of the new Next18 versions, hoping for some improvements

What a mistake to make that was, Headcode light and Head and tail lights only work at one end and that,s the end with the exhaust pipes, what is wrong with Dapols QC this is beyond a joke now.

This really is the last Dapol Product I will buy.
    Maybe you should update you post and admit that there was nothing wrong with the Class 121 and it was just that you hadn't read the instructions.

Your response on the N Gauge froum after being advised to try the 121 with the blanking plug in

"
    Hi
    Looks like it might be me not reading the instructions first
    On DC With blanking plug lights work correctly
    On DCC it appears that F0, F1 & F2 are used to turn the lights at on end on/off at each end, not something I have encountered before and a bit odd that its possible to have white lights at both ends on or red lights at both ends on at the same time,
    Very odd
    "

Comment

If I get it working the way the instructions say it should (as long as the 21pin instructions posted above are correct for the Next18 decoder) I will admit I was wrong, still don't understand why this model needs such a complicated lighting setup, why would I need white lights or red lights at both ends, not something I have encountered before.

so even after reading the instructions I am still not convinced it's all down to me but will update after I have tried the instructions posted above.

Jeanette

Comment

• Crooked Spire
        Crooked Spire commented
        Editing a comment
        When stabled in a siding vehicles often have red lights showing at both ends.

Ok firstly apologies for my casting dispersion on this Dapol Product I have now followed the instructions listed above and all is now working as I expected, although in my defence those CV adjustments are not included in the N-Gauge Next18 Decoder instructions, so I am sure I am not going to be the only one struggling with this.

Thanks for the instructions Joel

Jeanette

Comment

• Pleno Organo
        Pleno Organo commented
        Editing a comment
        I have just purchased a class 121 and had the same issues with the lighting. I eventually found a post on RMWeb from JPendle where he discribes mapping and ends up, for Next18 decoders in these classes, with No.1 end lights controlled on F0, and No.2 end on F1. Both are directional so if using the unit singly, both F0 & F1 need to be pressed. It is very useful.
    Working...
    X