Making the most of the 63' DMU chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making the most of the 63' DMU chassis

The 121/122 production has literally flooded the market with bubble cars, and in reality they were not that common. They just have a certain charm and are of course a cheap short DMU for small layouts.
    However, add a clean (uncluttered with engines) unpowered 63' chassis and a couple of new mouldings and hey presto. Take your pick from the generic Derby look suburban and outer suburban designs all with a family look like the 121/122.

Class 149/150 DTS. These Pressed Steel/GRCW Non-Gangwayed trailers actually ran with the 121/122 rather than the Dapol dummy 121/122 unit approach, which only ever ran in multiple like this in the later years. Great model choice and almost identical body to Pressed Steel 117 DMS below.

Class 116 DMS - TS or TC - DMBS. 108 sets built. 1957 - 1995. Derby 3-car BUT Leyland engines - Birmingham and South Wales regions.
    Class 117 DMS - TC - DMBS 42 sets built. 1959 - 2000. Pressed Steel. Paddington/Wales/Bristol/Cornwall then cascaded into Scotland. Probably best model choice of liveries/regional distribution/longevity.
    Class 118 DMS - TC - DMBS 15 sets built. 1960 - 1994. BRCW Western and Midland version of 117. Headcode box only significant difference, and only a real train spotter would be able to tell unless up close. Could be done in same way as the 121/122 roof variant approach, or someone could do a 3D printed aftermarket version.
    Class 125 DMS - TS - DMS. 20 sets built. 1958 - 1988. Derby 3-car RR engines - Eastern region.

Class 127 DMBS - TS(L) - TS - DMBS. 30 sets built. 1959 - 1989. Derby 4-car RR engines. Non-Gangwayed. Bedford St Pancras route. Non standard hydraulic transmission. Very unloved.
    Class 115 DMBS - TC(L) - TS - DMBS. 41 sets built. 1960 - 1994. Derby 4-car BUT Leyland engines. Marylebone services.

OR, if you wanted to do something that looked different to the 121, then choose a class 120 Swindon unit.
    Class 120 . DMSL - TBS (or TSL) - DMBC. 58 sets built 1958-1989. Swindon 3-car. Western, Midland and Scottish regions. Liveries limited to Green/whiskers, Green/SYP, Blue grey FYP.

With my commercial head on, I would think Dapol should consider the 117 as it has so many livery and regional choices: Green/whiskers, Green/SYP, Blue FYP, White Refurb FYP, Blue-Grey FYP, GWR150 Choc/Cream special, NSE, and Regional Railways.
    Modellers could hack these into 4 car units or trailer units for their 121s/122s if they want them.
    Bachmann has committed to the 57' chassis for its 101, 108 and possibly 105 DMU fleet, leaving all the 63' fleet open to Dapol.

Surely the 117 is a goer, Joel?

You make a very persuasive argument. Because of where my layout is set I've got plenty of Dapol's 121 and 122 DMUs, I've also bought a 121 powered chassis to use with a 3D printed Class 128 DPU body. I could also use a 3-car suburban DMU (I think Class 116 but I'd have any of a 116, 117 or 118 if they were available) and a Class 120 as these units also served the area I'm modelling.

The only possible fly in the ointment is Bachmann's intention to do the 117 (I think) in OO, which might eventually get shrunk to OO.

Comment

Hi John
      I'm not sure about the Bachmann shrink ray, especially since Dapol has most of the design of the 117 in the CADs for the 121 already, there is not much to do.
      Bachmann in N has the 57' chassis and will copy the Cravens 105 from their OO efforts next, if any.

My wish list includes a 117, 205 and 123 so I'm just trying to be commercially savvy to forecast what's next. I also have the 128 3D print and its great. But if I had all the time in the world I would take what was available now and modify it, but I simply don't. I have BHE 119 unit brass sides waiting to be moulded to three 121 bodies and chassis to make a GRCW unit, but progress is 0% so far due to work pressures (just gone self employed so that's a no brainer surely).

My project list is longer than my bucket list, so I'm just hoping one day the most likely DMUs will appear. It's just a matter of guesswork that what I think is most likely will appear!
      best
      Bob

Comment

Couldn't agree more on the Cl 117 / 118 suggestions. I would love to have three or four car DMUs running next to my 121....

Comment

I think the derivative choices from the 121/122 are an excellent idea, so thank you for the input on these.
          Regards
          Joel

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Originally posted by Bob G View Post
            The 121/122 production has literally flooded the market with bubble cars, and in reality they were not that common. They just have a certain charm and are of course a cheap short DMU for small layouts.
            However, add a clean (uncluttered with engines) unpowered 63' chassis and a couple of new mouldings and hey presto. Take your pick from the generic Derby look suburban and outer suburban designs all with a family look like the 121/122.

Class 149/150 DTS. These Pressed Steel/GRCW Non-Gangwayed trailers actually ran with the 121/122 rather than the Dapol dummy 121/122 unit approach, which only ever ran in multiple like this in the later years. Great model choice and almost identical body to Pressed Steel 117 DMS below.

Class 116 DMS - TS or TC - DMBS. 108 sets built. 1957 - 1995. Derby 3-car BUT Leyland engines - Birmingham and South Wales regions.
            Class 117 DMS - TC - DMBS 42 sets built. 1959 - 2000. Pressed Steel. Paddington/Wales/Bristol/Cornwall then cascaded into Scotland. Probably best model choice of liveries/regional distribution/longevity.
            Class 118 DMS - TC - DMBS 15 sets built. 1960 - 1994. BRCW Western and Midland version of 117. Headcode box only significant difference, and only a real train spotter would be able to tell unless up close. Could be done in same way as the 121/122 roof variant approach, or someone could do a 3D printed aftermarket version.
            Class 125 DMS - TS - DMS. 20 sets built. 1958 - 1988. Derby 3-car RR engines - Eastern region.

Class 127 DMBS - TS(L) - TS - DMBS. 30 sets built. 1959 - 1989. Derby 4-car RR engines. Non-Gangwayed. Bedford St Pancras route. Non standard hydraulic transmission. Very unloved.
            Class 115 DMBS - TC(L) - TS - DMBS. 41 sets built. 1960 - 1994. Derby 4-car BUT Leyland engines. Marylebone services.

OR, if you wanted to do something that looked different to the 121, then choose a class 120 Swindon unit.
            Class 120 . DMSL - TBS (or TSL) - DMBC. 58 sets built 1958-1989. Swindon 3-car. Western, Midland and Scottish regions. Liveries limited to Green/whiskers, Green/SYP, Blue grey FYP.

With my commercial head on, I would think Dapol should consider the 117 as it has so many livery and regional choices: Green/whiskers, Green/SYP, Blue FYP, White Refurb FYP, Blue-Grey FYP, GWR150 Choc/Cream special, NSE, and Regional Railways.
            Modellers could hack these into 4 car units or trailer units for their 121s/122s if they want them.
            Bachmann has committed to the 57' chassis for its 101, 108 and possibly 105 DMU fleet, leaving all the 63' fleet open to Dapol.

Surely the 117 is a goer, Joel?

Excellent list I draw up a similar list a couple of years ago, it is fascinating what units can be generated from a few extra tools. Liveries abound for me it would be the choc and cream or the BT livery as limited editions. but love NSE and B&G.

Comment

I do believe the old DMUs (or Bogcarts as we called them in my spotting days) are poorly represented in N. Living in Wolverton at the time so served by AM10s, it was only when I travelled on other lines e.g. the Varsity line, that I came to appreciate just how many classes of DMU existed (ably helped by my Ian Allan books)
              Bob has made an excellent and convincing case for more. Well done!
              Last edited by newportnobby; 20 June 2016, 15:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob G View Post
                The 121/122 production has literally flooded the market with bubble cars, and in reality they were not that common

and for the 120 and the 118, don't forget blue/SYP.......white roof dome.......

Matt Wood

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Wood View Post

and for the 120 and the 118, don't forget blue/SYP.......white roof dome.......

Matt Wood
                  Some 122s also wore Blue SYP with white roof dome. W55003 was one (photographed in June 1967), I'm getting a Regional Railways 122 repainted and renumbered to represent this unit.

Comment

Since the Farish dmu's have half of the visible passenger space taken up by their motor, I think Dapol would be onto a winner no matter what heritage dmu they produced; especially if the decoder option allowed sound as an option as well.

Comment

I would be delighted with any of the DMUs that appeared on the Western Region. A 117 would be great and should be an easy follow on from the 121 with many livery variants and wide geographical spread (particularly in later years). A class 120 cross-country DMU would also look great and regularly does well in wish-list polls.

Comment

In Support of Bob G--definitely cl 116/117/118--but as I have 2 questions--!) can a body from a dummy unit be put on a powered chassis and have all the lights working etc or do I have to get a separate Chassis??
                        2) will I be lucky enough to pair up DMBS units with DTS before too long!!.(my DMBS's are getting lonely lol) Comment::- as a former guard (London Division WR) I seldom (key word) saw a DMBS on it's own Slough-Windsor/ Bourne End-Marlow/ Twyford -Henley all worked paired with DTS, the exception being the Greenford branch from Ealing Broadway initially Sundays but for some time as older units disappeared up to the Turbo's arriving.

Comment

Another vote for some combination of 116/117/118. I'm modelling a bit of Birmingham (up the line from JohnLambert) and 116s would be ideal, though as especially in later years mixed-class sets became common, I could live with other types.

FWIW I found a kitbuilt 116 second-hand, while not perfect (or motorised) it fills a gap (and is better than anything I could build) but it sure would be nice to have something of the 121/122 quality,

br-class-117-kitbuilt-2 by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Comment

Class 117 seems a good idea with a good range of liveries over several years from 1959 to 1999. Should benefit from Class 121 chassis and design work as we used to convert class117 to 121s!

Comment

Hi, I believe when first Built the 117 (and possibly others) did not have Corridor/gangway connections, so can some one more knowledgeable answer, when were they fitted and what liveries was "in Vogue" at the time.

regds
                              Chris Newman

Comment

Working...
                              X