X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1977joey
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy Dapol View Post
    Thanks for the suggestions and requests everyone. They are all noted and taken under consideration.
    That’s good to know Andy,

Thankyou, I will keep everything crossed

Cheers,
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• Andy Dapol
    replied
    Thanks for the suggestions and requests everyone. They are all noted and taken under consideration.

Leave a comment:

• 1977joey
    replied
    I thought I would resurrect this thread as I’ve seen there’s been no more posts for over a year.
    I just wondering if there were any more thoughts of Dapol giving us N Gaugers a larger suburban DMU? Class 116, 117 or 118.? Either would be more than welcome...

Cheers,
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• chriswrightmk
    replied
    A range of liveries are feasible -green, blue, blue/grey, NSE BT, GWR,Regional Rlys, white/blue W Yorks?. Likeiwse there are various cab variations and early years with no corridor connections.. Two car sets operated in latter years

Leave a comment:

• Bob G
    replied
    Just want to add that I model two eras so will want 2x 117 DMUs in Green and 2x 117 DMUs in Banger Blue.
    I'm sure these will be announced just after I have cut and shut a multitude of 121/122 bodies.
    It IS possible (but not pretty) to make the centre coach from the remains of about three 121 bodies...

Oh and the idea of 121 trailer coaches is also a good idea

Best
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• IanS
    replied
    Originally posted by Matt Pinto View Post
    Here's an idea to help spread the development costs a bit, how about doing the Class 117 in instalments? No, I am not going doolally, there really is a method in madness (and not the other way round).

To start with, tool up the DTS to go with the existing class 121 bubble cars. You can sell these to existing class 121 customers and it should be cheap to tool as it is just 1 new bodyshell and an unpowered chassis.
    Some years ago I suggested the best use of the tooling was to design the tool from the outset to use inserts which would make the 121 DMBS with two cabs, but with the ability to change:
    Sides to make the DTS
    Ends to have cab or blind/corridor end.

Then produce first of all the 121 DMBS, with the 121 DTS following. The production of a 117 'power twin' would then be almost completely tooled (just a trailer chassis with engine mouldings would be needed) and be a bonus high value product from tooling (hopefully) paid for by the 121. Thereby the centre trailer could be produced later for those wanting to turn their 2 car 117 into a 3 car.

Thinking even more carefully there is little reason why the base tools might not also allow inserts to be made to produce other long frame units.

I don't know if Dapol did use this concept or progress so far down the line with the idea to maximise flexibility, as there would obviously be an increased initial cost.

However if you are producing 'just 1 new bodyshell and an unpowered chassis' there's not much you aren't making a new tool for, so it will not be a 'cheap tool' it will cost the same as every other tool does, as you are making an entire new coach, unless the costs can be apportioned to other potential products.
    Unfortunately Bachmann have announced a 117 model in OO which will cause Dapol to consider carefully the viability of developing the dmu product line in that scale, which in turn impacts the costs which would have to be borne by the model in other scales.

Leave a comment:

• Chris Newman
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Matt, seriously like the idea, DTS to go with the DMBS. and for the 117 it does not need a corridor connection until I think you get to plain BR blue, which IIRC I think was about the time the were renumbered.Nice one!!! Chris

• Matt Pinto
    replied
    Here's an idea to help spread the development costs a bit, how about doing the Class 117 in instalments? No, I am not going doolally, there really is a method in madness (and not the other way round).

To start with, tool up the DTS to go with the existing class 121 bubble cars. You can sell these to existing class 121 customers and it should be cheap to tool as it is just 1 new bodyshell and an unpowered chassis.

The good thing about the Class 121 DTS is that it actually gives you 2 elements that you can reuse in making a Class 117. The bodyshell of the DTS is exactly the same as the DMS from the Class 117.

Now all you need to add are the 2 remaining bodyshells to produce a Class 117 since you have the DMS bodyshell and the unpowered chassis from the Class 121 DTS, and the powered chassis from the class 121. I really think this is an excellent way of killing 2 birds with one stone.

Leave a comment:

• railsquid
    replied
    I'll take at least one 117 set in blue/grey, pretty please.

Leave a comment:

• newportnobby
    replied
    I'd be up for at least one 1st Generation WR green DMU for my layout based loosely on Oxford

Leave a comment:

• Chris Newman
    replied
    Hi Andy, Definitely a vote from me for any of the three types requested (the more the Merrier!!), (2 liveries, Green with "Whiskers" and green SYP, Thank you) You never have enough "Green"on a layout!!. Chris

Leave a comment:

• 1977joey
    replied
    Cheers Andy, I have everything crossed

Cheers,
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• Andy Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the 'UpVote' on these units.The more the better!
    We do make note of all requests made and refer to them in our forward planning and product development. As always we will make announcements on new projects once development has reached an appropriate stage.

• 1977joey
    replied
    Any update on wether we might see any of the larger suburban sets produced in N at all? I'm still eager for a couple of 117's if they are ever done and/or 116's...

Cheers,
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• JohnLambert
    replied
    A £250 RRP sounds fair for a three-car unit. I just hope I can still afford the four versions I'd like to have (green with speed whiskers, green SYP, plain blue and blue/grey).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X