No announcement yet.

Making the most of the 63' DMU chassis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Western Region class 116 units were all gangway fitted by 1972, other regions by the mid-1980s, 117 and 118s were also gangway fitted by '72 (source, British Railways First Generation DMUs by Hugh Longworth). I think the gangways were recycled from old Collett coaches. I guess liveries would be either plain rail blue, the white and blue DMU livery or BR corporate blue and grey.

Comment

In1972 all 116s, 117s and 118s would have been plain banger blue. Some went refurbished white with blue stripe in about 1977.They did not go blue/grey until about 1980.

Comment

Thanks to John Lambert & Bob G For your answers, So my Green Requirement for 1st Generation DMU's Need no Gangway Connection--but I think an easy Add on if provided in spares bag and kept in place with a few small dabs of Adhesive!! for those modelling later era's, any thoughts guys??

Chris
        Last edited by Chris Newman; 1 November 2016, 00:36. Reason: adding afterthought, after rereading--to make better sense.

Comment

Hi all I have now found, including myself 3 hardy souls who are cutting and gluing 121/2 shells into 117s ! Looks like I will get 131 as a bonus and cabends for 119 with Farish coaches - mine will of course be nearly finished by the time the RTR hit the shops !!

Comment

• Scruff
            Scruff commented
            Editing a comment
            need pictures robert shrives please!

Cheers
            Mark

• Joel Dapol
            Joel Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Robert, An excellent article for the club magazine if yiu have the time :-)

Hi,

I also would love to see the Class 117 DMU done in N gauge, the larger suburban units are really lacking in N. The 121/122 is an excellent model, so would be great to see it's larger cousins made ready to run...

Cheers,
          Mark

Comment

Another vote for a 117 here.

Cheers, Mike

Comment

Interesting comments and something for us to look at in the future. My fear is the cost of the tooling and the achievable RRP. Although there is large degree of commonality in the tooling, more is required than you might first imagine, however, definitely worth exploring. I would imagine an RRP of around £250 for the base DCC ready model would be the ball park figure. Feedback based on this premise would be most welcome
              Regards
              Joel

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• Steve-Spotter
                Steve-Spotter commented
                Editing a comment
                I would certainly pop in for a couple at this RRP. Would certainly be a nice addition to the multiple unit market instead of a constant stream of 101/108/121's. Another first gen DMU would always be most welcome to follow on from that lovely class 50. And of course, another unit type which could operate alongside the 50's on a prototypical layout...

Interesting thought Joel... Admittedly, 'the other mob' have amortised their three car 101 / 108 toolings over a fair period now, but they are doing a BR Blue three-car 108 (at a well-known Liverpudlian store) for under GBP 190.00. Allowing for the 15% discount, that puts the RRP around GBP 215. If you could do factory fitted sound for an RRP of around GBP 300.00 ...

Comment

Originally posted by Joel Dapol View Post
                Interesting comments and something for us to look at in the future. My fear is the cost of the tooling and the achievable RRP. Although there is large degree of commonality in the tooling, more is required than you might first imagine, however, definitely worth exploring. I would imagine an RRP of around £250 for the base DCC ready model would be the ball park figure. Feedback based on this premise would be most welcome
                Many thanks Joel for the response

I'd definitely have a couple.... Especially the Blue/Grey & Network SouthEast version if they were to be done. My layout is just DC anyway & that price sounds reasonable for the base DCC ready model.

Best regards,
                Mark
                Last edited by 1977joey; 23 January 2018, 19:26.

Comment

Personally I would like a 118 as it would suit my area of modelling better but I think a 117 definitely falls into the "close enough" category.

As for pricing, £250 is a little steeper than I had been hoping for but it is such a useful type of unit that I would still squeeze one in at that price, even if I had to save up a bit for it.

Matt

Comment

A £250 RRP sounds fair for a three-car unit. I just hope I can still afford the four versions I'd like to have (green with speed whiskers, green SYP, plain blue and blue/grey).

Comment

Any update on wether we might see any of the larger suburban sets produced in N at all? I'm still eager for a couple of 117's if they are ever done and/or 116's...

Cheers,
                      Mark

Comment

• Andy Dapol
                        Andy Dapol commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for the 'UpVote' on these units.The more the better!
                        We do make note of all requests made and refer to them in our forward planning and product development. As always we will make announcements on new projects once development has reached an appropriate stage.

Cheers Andy, I have everything crossed

Cheers,
                      Mark

Comment

Hi Andy, Definitely a vote from me for any of the three types requested (the more the Merrier!!), (2 liveries, Green with "Whiskers" and green SYP, Thank you) You never have enough "Green"on a layout!!. Chris

Comment

I'd be up for at least one 1st Generation WR green DMU for my layout based loosely on Oxford

Comment

Working...
                          X