Easi-Shunt and Nemcoups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easi-Shunt and Nemcoups

I'm not being paid by Dapol (it would be nice though!) but I'm a big fan of these couplings. They really are much more discreet than the Rapido which I used for years and saw no reason to replace--until the Easi-Shunts arrived. I've fitted all of my locos and coaches, plus the majority of my wagons now. I use the Nemcoups on virtually all wagons, as there's only a real need for magnetics on the ends of rakes, which keeps the cost down. Pity our OO colleagues, with no such luxury. I did worry about them being difficult to couple up when putting them on the track, but with the aid of a cheap LED torch, it's no problem.

I've been using the dummy knuckles supplied with wagons and coaches for a few years now and they're great for closing the coupling gaps right up. They are also more reliable than Rapidos as they don't seem to lift when under load, which causes allot of uncoupling problems. I just started using the Easi-Shunts this year and I've found they work really well. They aren't as small as say a Micro-Trains magnetic knuckle but they work reliably and for the majority of stock these days they are easy to fit. I also like the fact they come in various lengths so you can match them to your stock and get the best results.

The only downside is that they are a bit expensive if you choose to move over to them, fitted to every wagon the cost would soon mount up. I fit them to my loco's and the end of Wagon rakes, which is a good compromise.
    ​​​​​​
    ​​​​​​

Comment

Yep, agree with both - I have used the dummy knuckles on all my stock and retrofitting the NEM pocket when required for quite some time now. The Farish HTAs particularly look really good with the knuckle, which they are equipped with in real life. A nice move by Dapol. My only complaint is that you get 5 long, 5 short per bag for NEMCOUP, whereas I usually use just the short ones.

Comment

I use both the magnetic and dummy knuckles. I have had some problems with the dummy ones uncoupling due to the coupling pockets being slightly out of horizontal. As I model todays railway I keep the wagons in rakes with the magnetic couplers on the ends, would there be a market for NEM coupling bars, I appreciate they would need to be in different lengths, I have had a few 3D printed but the quality was not good so I would prefer injection moulded ones. Any thoughts?

Comment

• JR_P
          JR_P commented
          Editing a comment
          geoffc I just happened to chance across NEM coupling bars on Shapeways website earlier today - thought they looked quite promising, but you say the print quality was poor?.... could they have been smoothed down satisfactorily or is it not worth wasting time with?

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          I think this idea may have potential, do other modellers have any comments?

To answer JR_P's question. The ones I had made were produced locally, they did have a lot of ridges, were brittle and not good dimensionally. I am not well versed in 3D printing, but I gather that there are several types of plastic that can be used and the finish depends on the layer thickness. Not having used the Shapeways one I would not like to comment on the quality. As we already have injection moulded NEM fitting couplings, quality and dimensional accuracy has been proven to be good. I would suggest that 18, 20, 23 and 28mm overall length would be the ideal sizes as these equate to the overall sizes that can be made up by Easi-Shunts

Comment

• JR_P
          JR_P commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the info :-)

I imagine the Shapeways ones might be a bit better, as they do some pretty high quality prints, but from what I can tell 3D printing is 'always' (for the time being) going to have ridges....

Joel Dapol - is there a chance that you would produce a NEM Schafenberg coupler? That would complete the full suite of couplers (along with NEM bars) and eliminate any incompatibility.... so, for example, I have a Dapol FGW 153 - it has the Tomix(?) close-coupling Schafenberg coupler.... I want to couple it to my new (just ordered!) Farish FGW 150 - it has a NEM pocket. Now, on the latter I can either have a knuckle, or a traditional 'rapido' coupler, but the one coupler I can't use is a Schafenberg :-( .... do you see my problem?

Ironically, you can get a Schafenberg coupler that fits the traditional pocket (I have some of these from DCC supplies), but because Farish design their newer stuff with the NEM pocket (quite rightly), the DMUs/EMUs like 150s & 350s can't be fitted with the more realistic (working) Schafenberg coupler.... so frustrating....

Comment

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          We have looked at it and touched briefly on this somewhere else on the digest. I think Andy can offer more useful information.

An internet search for Tillig 08827 will throw up an NEM pocket compatible injection moulded bar coupler. I think there is a market for bar couplers to suit the Dapol coaches and wagons which might require more than one length.

Comment

I use these couplings extensively on my layout. Occasionally they uncouple when running but this is normally due to height issues which are easily resolved. Uncoupling always seems faultless. I have become fairly good at replacing any springs that occasionally go astray when changing the coupling from one item of stock to another and the spares supplied with each set were a very welcome inclusion. Always wondered why the name was changed from Easi-shunt to Easi-fit?

Comment

Joel Dapol and Andy Dapol I notice that the NEMCOUP dummy knuckle is out of stock everywhere that Google can find and I also notice it is out of stock with yourselves - i've nearly exhausted my current supply and need some more; will you be producing another batch of these soon?.... please do :-) !

As an aside, there does appear to be a single retail outlet (who I won't name) who are clearly profiteering by this short supply by selling half as many knuckles per pack (5 instead of 10) at twice the regular price, ie. I'd have to pay four times the regular price to get the same number of knuckles as normal.... not cool.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
              Joel Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              They have just been restocked now so should be available form your usual sources soon and prices should be back to normal.

• JR_P
              JR_P commented
              Editing a comment
              AWESOME :-) !

Thanks Joel Dapol

Will the Nemcoups be restocked anytime soon, out of stock most places as well, apart from the eBay seller selling 5 for twice the price of 10

also if they are going to be restocked any chance of selling them in packs of one size, I only use the short, so have loads of long I don't have any use for but need more shorts.

thanks

Comment

In the same boat here and disappointed that they don't seem to be being included with the recent wagons and locos either. A shame for those that have adopted them.

Comment

I usually buy mine from Hatton's; they're not easy to find on their old website but the new one seems better. Just enter Dapol N gauge couplings in the search box. Surprised to hear Vonzack's point--hopefully Dapol will comment.
                Last edited by Crepello; 24 September 2018, 18:00.

Comment

Hattons showing out of stock

one point of interest, the last batch I got was from Antics, and they were selling them as packs of 10 all of one size, as they should be sold, why do I have to by 5 short and 5 long when I only need short.

antics are also out of stock now, just as I found they were selling bags of one size they sell out, typical

Comment

Just received the new Dapol GNER HST, the power car pack and coaches have the dummy knuckles with them so that's fantastic. The Power car pack also has a set of Easi-Shunt couplings too, although they won't go on the HST for me, good to see them in the box.

Comment

Any comment from Dapol on the lack of stock of Nemcoups #AndyDapol have they been discontinued which would explain zero mention of them in the Dapol Shop??????

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                        Joel Dapol commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hi They should be back in stock now. I will check but we do have them now.
                    Working...
                    X