Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilux5972
    replied
    Great news. Just preordered the Dinmore Manor special edition.

Leave a comment:

• Miss Prism
    replied
    Good to see an update posted at: https://www.dapol.co.uk/OO-Gauge-Prairie-Update

I'm still intrigued as to how that pony can clear a full-relief cylinder on second radius curves, but I guess the proof will be 'in the pudding'.

Btw, in the catalogue, '4314' should read '4134'.

Leave a comment:

• Hilux5972
    replied
    Do we have an update on the Prairie? I plan on getting both Hornby and Dapol Prairies but it doesn’t seem like there’s been any progress on this. No news at all.

Leave a comment:

• LNER4468Fan
    replied
    Guys I doubt Dapol are going to drop their model just cause another company may get their version out quicker, plus it's been pointed out that Hornby got theirs in production first.

Leave a comment:

• Ed-Farms
    replied
    Originally posted by Joel Dapol View Post
    A nice idea but with an announcement already in the offing for a mogul, it makes this project less attractive as there are so many shared parts. we also need to revisit the BOB/WC first
    Now that the previously announced mogul will not see the light of day, perhaps this presents the chance to do the 43XX and Prairie in N Gauge

Leave a comment:

• The Duke 71000
    replied
    63xx MOGUL
    As there in no provision to add comments to the 63xx Mogul project page, I suppose I'll have to leave a comment here !

I'm pleased you have put a photo revealing the interior mechanism of the expected 63xx. However I have one question, what is the PCB board for ?

The Duke 71000

Leave a comment:

• The Duke 71000
    replied
    PRAIRIES ? FIRST PAST THE POST !
    Well it would seem we have a race on our hands. As the latest news from Hornby is that they are revamping their GWR Prairie, and introducing both 5101 and 61xx variants. Supposedly for release during 2019 !

I would guess however that the 5101 model seen as an unpainted sample is probable for late 2019. But the 61xx CAD drawings are most likely to mean this model won't arrive before spring 2020.

This information gleaned from the Kernow Models web site.

Hornby R3719 5101 class, Large Prairie, general purpose type.

Hornby R3723. 61xx Large Prairie Originally intended for London commuter services out of Paddington.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	R3721_Side.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.2 KB ID:	8328Hornby R3721 (side view) 61xx Large Prairie.

The Duke 71000

Leave a comment:

• Miss Prism
    replied
    You have lengthened the conn rod? And shortened the slidebars?

(I can probably understand why - the clearance geometry is very tight.)
    Last edited by Miss Prism; 19 October 2018, 10:27.

Leave a comment:

• Miss Prism
    replied
    ATC rollout on Moguls is not known, but generally started in the early '30s. It might make an interesting potential 'add-on plug-in' to the front NEM pocket. Here's a standard one with Saint 2938.

Leave a comment:

• Miss Prism
    replied
    It is very difficult to date the introduction of the lower belt seam on the firebox. Generally, this seam (with rivets either side of it) probably did not appear on Moguls before the late '30s. In any event, the seam is very subtle, as per 5322's:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/briane...7669537628532/

A few snaps:

Last edited by Miss Prism; 18 October 2018, 11:16.

Leave a comment:

• Miss Prism
    replied
    Excellent news on the washout plug positioning, Richard.

Note how thin the rims on the washout plugs are - almost microscopic in 4mm:
    Last edited by Miss Prism; 18 October 2018, 12:32.

Leave a comment:

• Richard Dapol
    replied
    Hi Miss P,
    Thanks for your post. All models will have the washout plugs in the lower position close to the handrail. The CAD for the outside steam pipes shows this, I have attached a scrap view for reference which also shows the separate driving wheel splashers and box covering the air pump. It appears from many photographs that the earlier series of 43xx and 53xx have the washout plugs in the higher position, although pictures of the later 63xx and 73xx do show some in the higher position, but the lower position seems the norm as you rightly say.
    Tooling is underway and we hope to have an EP during December
    Kind Regards, Richard

Leave a comment:

• Miss Prism
    replied
    It may be a trick of the light, but on the image of the 63xx in the Project Manager's Blog, the front edge of the smokebox door looks to be very sharp, almost square. I refer you to the drawing I gave in post #13, which shows the rounded edge and the profile.

Compared to the initial CAD, you have chosen to change the position of the upper washout plugs to be in the 'raised level', as per the preserved 5322. This was rare, and atypical of the class.
    Last edited by Miss Prism; 14 October 2018, 15:05.

Leave a comment:

• The Duke 71000
    replied
    Dapol 63xx 2-6-0, large layouts, and even larger Diesels.

Andy,
    Thanks for the update on the 63xx 2-6-0. I would post my comments on the new 63xx page, but as yet there is NO provision to do this !

I must say that I am more concerned with the 63xx mechanism, as detail on the bodyshell is something I can always alter, or add.

The problem with the real life 63xx is that these locos were often tasked with hauling trains of up to 12 carriages, particularly on Inter-regional services to and from the Southern Region. This means in model form adhesive weight becomes a very important factor.

As I mentioned before you posted the latest pictures. If the boiler is filled with electronics instead of these being put in the tender, I have a nasty feeling the loco will be severely limited in its capacity to haul a realistic load.

The motor, worm gear and flywheel appear themselves to be sufficient to haul a 12 car train. But much of the boiler appears to only contain a lightweight electronics board. I would seriously recommend the electronics go in the tender and the boiler be filled with lead, to give the model as much adhesive weight over the driving wheels as possible. Or sadly this model may end up being as gutless as the outdated Bachmann version, which "couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding".

My other concern is the "Clip-Lock" tender coupling. Which certainly sounds better than damage prone tiny wires and microscopic plugs. However what do I do if I want to shorten the coupling to get a real life gap between loco and tender. Is this loco-tender coupling on a flexi-mount to enable it to be realistically close coupled ?

FIRST TIME HALF THE LAYOUT HAS BEEN PUT TOGETHER.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Basingstoke layout (02) 6-10-18.jpg Views:	1 Size:	335.9 KB ID:	8055
    Above: HALF of my part constructed 87ft x 25ft "Basingstoke" layout, with the 4 track Hook station in the foreground, and the 2 track Reading to Basingstoke line to the left. The large 40 track Fiddle Yard starts at the scenic break and beyond the second scenic break in the distance is Oakley station and beyond that Battledown flyover. This layout is obviously large enough to run full 12/13 car trains, so a DAPOL 63xx 2-6-0 will be a useful addition to the fleet to haul Reading - Basingstoke - Bournemouth Inter-regional trains if it can haul 10-12 car loads!
    Picture taken from 1st Floor level, inside our Museum alongside two large Spanish Broadgauge steam locomotives, which helps to put some scale to the layout.... The other side of the layout including Basingstoke station is still under construction. This was the view at 09.50 Saturday 6-10-18 just before Visitors beagn arriving for our Annual open weekend.

YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS !

Click image for larger version  Name:	Young Driver.jpg Views:	1 Size:	455.5 KB ID:	8056
    Above: Having just had some fun driving my maroon Dapol "Western" up and down my "Basingstoke" layout. 10 year old "Mr Atomic" (in cab window) is just about to take visitors for a little ride on our 900hp 5ft 6in gauge Bo-Bo diesel. Not the first full size diesel he's driven either, as a month back he was in charge of a new 6,000hp Co-Co with the blessing of the Freight Companies Operations Director who accompanied him in the cab. So if you fancy driving something bigger than your Dapol modles, for a small fee you can drive this Beastie called "Yay Yay" . Anything can happen in Spain....

The Duke 71000
    Last edited by The Duke 71000; 6 October 2018, 23:58.

Leave a comment:

• MMCC
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy Dapol View Post
    MMCC, Hi, Thanks for your comments. To answer your question take a look at the CAD I published in the 63xx thread <here>. (although the models are being developed together, the threads should have been separated, which is now the case). You'll note the plates are separate parts and there is no moulded 'bead' or plate. Therefore, if you wish can be replaced with those of your choice. This will also be the case with the Prairie.

BR versions will of course feature the appropriate smoke box numbers and shed plates. We'll show these in due course.
    Thanks for the reply and for pointing that out for me! It's good to hear you have it all in hand and I look forward to the model in due course!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X