No announcement yet.

Black Label A4 - Opening post:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought I would poke my nose in here and let you know how I'm getting on with mine.

My 1st Mallard was a jerky runner despite many hours of running in, it was of course replaced without issue by the Dapol guys and the replacement is a super smooth runner, this one however exhibits a lot of "real" flange noise on my R3 test track.

It's still got a bit of wheel "play" left but it sure makes some very high pitched squeels. My proper layout, under construction has 600mm Raduis curves or more so its flange noise should reduce and stop drowning out the speaker?

The other "little" tweak I have not yet worked out, is what the CV's are for both the AWS sounds, I was hoping to lower these but they are not listed? would be great if anyone knows them?

Overall though, it's a fantastic bit of kit, and "hello" everyone
    Last edited by Tankdave; 7th April 2017, 18:18.

Comment

Thanks, Neil, I will contact them on Monday, as you suggest.
      Rod

Comment

Just to add a little of my experience to the current discussion:- 1. I have been running my Mallard and Silver Fox since collection at Warley in November. Third radius has never been a problem but 2nd radius is a definite no-no. I have a few standard Hornby/Peco turnouts and those, being 2nd radius, do lead to the bogie jumping the rails - I just have to avoid those sections of track! 2. I run an Elite, not upgraded to latest 1.43, and on start up the 2 engines start to inch forward. This happens whether one or both are on the track. I have a dozen or so other engines on the track at any one time. I just hit Emergency Stop, re-start and there are no problems for the remainder of the running session. No idea why they do this but it is a minor inconvenience. 3. The only annoying problem I do have is that the Mallard loses its memory and reverts to running No3 at the start of each new session - has anyone else had that problem? Pete

Comment

I did notice my Mallard squeaked a bit when running round 3rd radius, but it wasn't too bad. Bittern can run round 1st radius fine, with no problems! Very odd.

Just an update regarding my 2 black label loco's switching on when not told to:

Since the London Show, DCC supplies and had both loco's for extensive testing.

I've received an email from them this morning that states despite trying a whole heap of different running aspects, with different controllers on different set-ups, on different layouts they cannot replicate the issue on either locomotive, so the fault must lie my end, but I honestly don't know with what.
          Now at this point I did think about upgrading from an Hornby Elite to an NCE Power Cab, however if DCC supplies haven't managed to replicate the problem on any of the 3 different systems they have, there is obviously something amiss with my set-up and probably not the controllor, although I don't know what it could be.
          My layout is end to end. Thinking the fault could potentially be within on or all of the 4 lines I have that are all accessible and linked via peco streamline code 100 insulfrog points with Hornby point power clips to make them live, I also set-up a solitary end to end track with no points and it made no difference.

The only conceivable thing i can think of at this stage, and this really is grasping at straws but the Hornby digital track is located right at the end of one end of track, would that make a difference? I don't have the loco's back in my possession yet to test them, but I've run out of all ideas if not...?

The thing I keep coming back to though, is I've created a big basic loop, nothing fancy, with no points, big enough to get a good run on the straights, and the loco's still have this fault.

So - what could possibly be wrong my end if all manor of possible solutions have been exhausted by both me and the technical department at DCC supplies?

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Trevaskus View Post
            I run an Elite, not upgraded to latest 1.43, and on start up the 2 engines start to inch forward. This happens whether one or both are on the track. I have a dozen or so other engines on the track at any one time. I just hit Emergency Stop, re-start and there are no problems for the remainder of the running session. No idea why they do this but it is a minor inconvenience.
            Post 65 and 66 seem to have the same issue and both using the Hornby Elite - creilly81 did DCC Supplies try and Elite? Sounds like a compatibility issue with that controller on these two instances?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveU View Post

Post 65 and 66 seem to have the same issue and both using the Hornby Elite - creilly81 did DCC Supplies try and Elite? Sounds like a compatibility issue with that controller on these two instances?

Yes Steve - one of the controllers DCC supplies used was a Hornby Elite on the same software version I'm running. That's why I'm utterly stumped!! 😳

Comment

Further to posts 65 - 68, my layout is not end-to-end; has drop wires to a copper strip ring bus and the main power cable is soldered to the track. It therefore appears that Creilly81's problems are not linked to the way the layout is set up. I use the Elite with Railmaster on a computer but the problem happens whether I use the Elite alone or with Railmaster. Perhaps we should invite DCC Supplies to come and look at our problem in-situ to actually see it in action?

Comment

Further to posts 65 - 68, my layout is not end-to-end; has drop wires to a copper strip ring bus and the main power cable is soldered to the track. It therefore appears that Creilly81's problems are not linked to the way the layout is set up. I use the Elite with Railmaster on a computer but the problem happens whether I use the Elite alone or with Railmaster. Perhaps we should invite DCC Supplies to come and look at our problem in-situ to actually see it in action?
                  Hi Pete,

I did speak to DCC supplies yesterday afternoon, who were extremely helpful and understood my frustration. They did say my problem was a one of a kind though as they or Dapol were not aware of any such issue with the locomotives when operating.

They have tested and tested my locos using a whole armory of idea's but to no avail. I did agree with them though, that when I receive the loco's back hopefully tomorrow, that I would record a short video of the problem in its entirety to send to them with (just for reference and to rule any possibility of it out) a quick diagram and video of my layout so if there was something glaringly obvious that I'm not aware of, it could be ruled out.
                  There are model railway clubs in and around this area, however I'm not a member of any and don't really have any free time to dedicate in taking this issue further and perhaps testing them on another layout myself with a different control set-up.

I've attached a brief layout diagram of my setup. The red track is the Hornby Digital track section where the power is fed to the track.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I see that these are available to order, but no apple green ones left - are there any plans to do any more apple green versions?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                      Joel Dapol commented
                      Editing a comment
                      We are probably not going to run the valanced versions again for some time I am afraid. If you interested in Golden Eagle, drop me an email (joel@dapol.co.uk) and I may be able to sort something out.

Reading the blog it looks that Dapol service probably exceeds expectations but was slightly concerned about number of issues, however further review indicates probable third party issues. Will remain interested if and when a BR era version becomes available.

Comment

Andy, I love my Black Label, it is the best A4 that is or has been on the market, however could I suggest that you remove the smoke, lights and sound etc and bring it out, built the same way in die cast metal , as a regular model.

Comment

I note there have been no recent posts on the Black label locos. Does this mean that all the initial issues have been resolved, or has everyone just given up?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                          Joel Dapol commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I think you will find most people have been delighted with their locomotives and the small number of issues experienced have been resolved as a matter of course. Out of interest, have you purchased one yourself or seen one running?

I note there have been no recent posts on the Black label locos. Does this mean that all the initial issues have been resolved, or has everyone just given up?
                        Hi Pete,

I have both Bittern and Mallard which frequently run on our club layout every Wednesday evening - they are defiantly a firm favourite. It's true to say a few people have experienced some niggles, but nothing much, and they were sorted out by Dapol quickly anyway.
                        Bite the bullet and go for one - honestly you will not regret it. They take Railway Modelling to a new level in terms of realism and performance.

Comment

Thanks Joel & Creilly81. I have a Mallard and Silver Fox. Both are now running well, apart from the minor niggle that the Silver Fox loses its memory and I have to re-set the running number at the beginning of each session. The problem of the engines creeping forward when first put on the track, as raised in earlier posts, seems to have simply gone away - possibly as a result of updating the Hornby Railmaster/Elite software? Anyway, I am pleased with the locos and pleased that earlier minor problems experienced by others are also resolved.

Comment

Joel, On a separate point, what are the chances of a GWR King to the same standards at some time in the future? Not everyone is an LNER fan, even if it is the iconic A4

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                              Joel Dapol commented
                              Editing a comment
                              A good question and a very good candidate for a future model, I will put it on the development list, thank you.
                          Working...
                          X