Black Label A4 - Opening post:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

Ok I followed the steps JIMP suggested and all is well.
    however, I've laid a test track in my kitchen / dining room that really allows the loco to get up some speed.
    it runs brilliantly, but when I place another loco on the same track (in this case a HORNBY s15 with loksound decoder installed) if Bittern is stationary it behaves very odd.
    The lights turn off and it really slow shunts backwards and stops before the lights come on again and the process is repeated when I operate the other loco. Yes they are set to 2 different addresses.
    It only happens intermittently it appears.
    Bittern is fine when on the move, control is fine it just happens now and again.

Any idea's?

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by creilly81; 19th January 2017, 15:11.

Comment

• Bulver
      Bulver commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Chris, don't know if this helps, but have you disabled 'dc' capability on the loco. Might not be the cause, but definitely worth checking CV29 to see if dc running is enabled. If so, disabling it may help with this problem.

What controller would be the most recommended to use for these models by the way?

Comment

• Matt79
      Matt79 commented
      Editing a comment
      For info I am using Piko SmartControl. This works very well but I am pretty sure you would be ok with any of the popular dcc systems - if they have enough power. I have read elsewhere that the models can draw around 1.5A so you would need a moderately powerful system. The model is meant to work with DC control also (with reduced functionality) but I have not tried this.

• Jimp
      Jimp commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine works ok on a NCE power cab, which comes with a 1.5 supply, this can be added to if necessary

• Pete Trevaskus
      Pete Trevaskus commented
      Editing a comment
      I have two A4's, the Mallard and Silver Fox and both run perfectly happily with the Hornby Elite and Railmaster.

Hi Bulver,

How funny as Dapol technical said the same thing.
    Yes DC running was enabled as standard so I have written value 2 to CV29. So far on my window layout it's been ok - fingers crossed!
    Many thanks for that though.

Comment

Hi, I have just received my A4 Golden Eagle, everything is great about it bar the fact the running gear has started to squeak, has anyone else had this problem and would a quick bit of peco oil on all the wheels and running gear be a good idea?? the visible parts of the loco look well oiled already from when i got it out of the box.

Cheers

Comment

hi my Golden Eagle will not stay on the track it derails on all my turnouts both 3rd and 2nd radius very disappointing. i am waiting returns response from Dapol

Comment

• Neil Dapol
          Neil Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          Have you contacted our sales team? They will organised a pick up and replacement for you?

Pick up has now been organised, thanks

Comment

My Golden Eagle arrived on Friday. I placed it on the track, switched on the DCC power and although there was sound from the loco (briefly) the DCC power cut-out within a few seconds. Thinking I hadn't placed it on the track fully, I checked and tried again. As before, after a few seconds the power cut out but this time with an 'over heating' smell from the tender. Disappointing but Dapol response cannot be faulted. The faulty model was collected today and a replacement will be sent.

Comment

Hi is there a recommended minimum radius for the Black Label loco's?

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              3rd radius + I think someone did run it one 2nd too.

• Pete Trevaskus
              Pete Trevaskus commented
              Editing a comment
              My two locos run happily on 3rd radius but definitely do not like "standard" 2nd radius turnouts

I received my Golden Eagle last week and like others I found a problem immediately. The loco moved approximately 2 feet and stopped, brief sound, no smoke and no lights. I swapped tenders with my Mallard and vice versa. The Mallard ran fine with the Eagle tender but again Eagle wouldn't work properly when with the other Tender. Dapol agreed to swap no questions but due to some mix up they missed me off their parcel pick up list and I await that as I type. My Mallard runs brilliant and I thought my Eagle was just a one off, can happen to anyone thing but having read the other Eagle problems I am a little concerned that my replacement will be ok. I will update when it arrives. Sorry Dapol, I really do love the Mallard.

Comment

Concerning the 'Golden Eagle', I too had a similar problem. Loco worked ok at first, some of the sounds were not on the 'f' buttons referred to. Second day, nothing worked, tripped 2 dcc controllers and also a dc controller. Dapol, as ever, were great with their response, loco picked up last Thursday and now awaiting the replacement. Is this problem only with this loco? Shame, as it is a fantastic-looking model, can't wait to have the replacement to run.

Comment

I am extremely happy with the Mallard and Silver Fox but one small inconvenience is that the Fox loses its memory and reverts to DCC code 3 after each running session. Has anyone else found this problem?

Comment

Wonderful models and lovely detail, so must praise for Dapol in running production on these models. a slight concern though on first running them. Like BryanHowieson's post on the side blog, "Some sound issues with the A4's, I am getting the same but slightly odd issues. I have purchased the Mallard and also just received the Golden Eagle. Both have run on a 'straight length of track - on programming mode and oddly, both decoders were not recognised by my dcc controller when usually Loksound decoders are, as they are produced by the same controller maker, ESU. I am running the Ecos 50200 [with version 4 software]. so 1st question is whether the sound decoder is 'Loksound Version 4 in both models? the Ecos controller could only recognise them as both as "generic NMRA" decoders. so at this moment, I cannot hear most of the sounds noted in the handbook, pge 12 including the 4 different sounds of the staff. I have changed the values in the cv's to match those on page 12 of the booklet, but still can't get to hear all the sounds noted in the booklet. that was last week. this weekend, I set up some track as some concerns have been raised on the models running on 'curves'. only tried it with the Golden Eagle - it ran ok on the straight, but as soon as it went into the curve, the controller tripped. put back on straight section, and turned back on - and it tripped straight away. I tried a trusty '37' diesel on the same straight track and curve and no problems with tripping. So team Dapol, do I need to send both A4's back and secondly, is the decoder set up [and compatible] for use with the ESU Ecos controller?
                  Last edited by Munchkin56; 6th February 2017, 15:14.

Comment

• BryanHowieson
                    BryanHowieson commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Hi, I've had no response so far to my post (including Dapol) to my sound problem - so nice to see that Munchkin56 has at least seen it. My impression, based on the layout of the owners' guide, is that these decoders are made by Broadway Limited (BLI) from the U.S. I have some of their N scale sound locomotives - I have not had any particular problems with those, although I use a Digitrax DCC system for my N scale layout. If I am right that these are BLI decoders, perhaps there is some problem with European systems (my OO/HO layout is on the Roco Z21 system) 'speaking' to the US BLI decoder? Cheers, Bryan.

Dapol have now replaced my eagle thank you Dapol a fantastic service

Comment

Received my replacement 'Golden Eagle', thanks for fantastic speedy response to my request for help. Now for the running, only had a short section of track to test on last night, so will try a more substantial test for it later.
                    Rod

Comment

I received my replacement 'Golden Eagle' and all seemed ok until this evening. I was running it as normal when it suddenly stopped. All of the functions continued to work ok (sound, smoke etc) but there was a whine from the motor which increased with the throttle but no movement in either direction. I have decided to return it and request a refund - I have lost confidence in the reliability of this particular model and when you think how much it cost......

Comment

• Neil Dapol
                        Neil Dapol commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I am very sorry to hear that you have had a less than perfect experience with your Golden Eagle, you will receive the refund that you have requested.

We have now received it back at our base, it has been given a preliminary examination with which I can confirm that the mechanism is locked up as you have described. The model will now be sent for an intensive examination to determine the cause of the fault.

Whilst opening the packaging of your returned locomotive extensive damage to the cab area, tender and whistle was observed, with parts missing or lying in the packaging. The packaging is however undamaged.

Regards

Neil

• Trussel
                        Trussel commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I am absolutely staggered to read that the model arrived damaged in the way you described. I take great care of my models and there was absolutely no damage to the Golden Eagle when I placed it in the box (I have witnesses to that effect). The inference from your remarks is that since the packaging wasn't damaged I had placed the model in the box damaged. I refute this absolutely.
                    Working...
                    X