Black Label A4 - Opening post:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Label A4 - Opening post:

Dapols Black Label represents a step forward in UK ready to run models.
    Now entering production, with customer despatch scheduled for November there is still a (limited) opportunity to reserve your model. To place a reservation, please download the expression of interest form (attached below) and return to Dapol by email or post to the
    address at the bottom of this post.

Released as strictly limited numbered editions, incorporating a highly detailed body and underframe, separate detailing parts as well as synchronised smoke, operating lighting and integrated DCC sound we are initially producing the LNER Gresley A4 in OO with valances circa 1936. 6 Versions in total will be produced:
    4468 Mallard - LNER Garter blue 2510 Quicksilver - LNER Silver
    2512 Silver Fox - LNER Silver 4484 Bittern - LNER Garter Blue
    4482 Golden Eagle - LNER Apple Green 4467 Wild Swan - LNER Garter Blue
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Mallard_Fox_Eagle-2_thumb.jpg Views:	1 Size:	20.1 KB ID:	563
    The 4th update newsletter has been sent to subscribers, and will be posted here shortly.

Description of the models:
    Die-cast metal, etched and turned parts have been extensively used producing a high quality feel, added strength and overall weight. Our new silent-drive mechanism ensures a responsive, smooth, quiet rolling run. Operating lamps and a bespoke integrated factory fitted DCC sound and control are featured.
    All work on both DC and DCC, combined with synchronised Chuffs, Smoke and emission of realistic steam from the whistle will achieve a new level of operational realism on your railway. Multiple speakers ensure accurate reproduction of sound from very low mechanical sounds, to high pitched steam and whistle sounds and ensures good reproduction both in your train room and at an exhibition.

FEATURES

· Exhaust beat Synchronised with puffing smoke

· Authentic sound recorded by Dapol from ‘Bittern’

· Short whistle with simulated steam

· Long whistle with simulated steam

· Speakers installed in both locomotive and tender for more realistic sounds

· Working front lamps, that can be switched on/off in DCC mode

· Locomotive and tender bodies in die-cast metal

· Locomotive chassis in die-cast metal

· Finely detailed wheels and valve gear including lubricators.

· Sprung driving wheel (Alternative traction tyre fitted wheel-set in box)

· Sliding cab roof ventilators

· Choice of cartazzi truck (pivoting for tight curves, limited travel for larger layouts)

· Glazed cab windows

· Sprung buffers

· Correct tender and locomotive body variations for each model

· Real coal fixed in tender

· Authentic decoration

· Etched nameplates

· Superb back EMF motor control in DC and DCC

· Silent drive mechanism

· Limited edition of only 320 units (400 for Mallard) with numbered certificate

· Collectors presentation case

Retail price £399.95

Return your expression of interest to:
    Dapol
    (A4 EOI)
    Gledrid Industrial Park
    Chirk
    Wrexham
    LL14 5DG
    Last edited by Andy Dapol; 3rd October 2016, 14:36. Reason: Updated due date from September to November.
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Hello,

I have a couple of questions which have come up from discussions with others about this model which I hope you can answer.

1 - Will the tender have a NEM coupling socket to allow switching between tension lock and other couplings? i.e. Kadee in my case.

2 - I note that you have developed your own smoke oil for this model/range. Will this be readily available from shops or direct from yourselves and would supply be safeguarded should the range not continue past the initial A4 run?

3 - Is the filling of smoke oil an easy task and would it require draining before transporting in the box etc?

4 - Have you given any thought for the articulated coaches which ran with the Silver and Coronation A4s's in their heyday?

All in all very much looking forward to this becoming available

Regards,
    Paul

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
      JeremiahBunyan commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think the coaches are a viable set to make. There's already a kit out there. If any RTR manufacturers have to make it, it'll cost just the same as a kit built one.

Hi Paul,
    1 - Will the tender have a NEM coupling socket to allow switching between tension lock and other couplings? i.e. Kadee in my case.
    Yes, NEM pockets are fitted as standard.
    2 - I note that you have developed your own smoke oil for this model/range. Will this be readily available from shops or direct from yourselves and would supply be safeguarded should the range not continue past the initial A4 run?
    The smoke generator has been developed to use 'Industry Standard oil - Seuthe' which can be used if you wish. The advantage of our oil is that it's vapour is lighter, therefore the effect realistic in that it floats. We noted that Seuthe oils tend to sink and cling to the model, which doesn't happen with our oil. This oil is also compatible with Seuthe smoke generators.
    We are producing a second type of oil, this will only be compatible with our smoke generator, as the Seuthe uses a different method of vaporisation to ours.
    3 - Is the filling of smoke oil an easy task and would it require draining before transporting in the box etc?
    Yes, I use a pipette, or small funnel (provided in the box) and one of my hates is draining smoke generators or finding the mess on arrival! Our unit doesn't need draining (unless overfilled) and won't ooze in transit (well tested travelling to exhibitions and also via couriers etc!)
    4 - Have you given any thought for the articulated coaches which ran with the Silver and Coronation A4s's in their heyday?
    Yes Although this will be some time in the making, if we in fact do so.
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• Bricky89
      Bricky89 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much for the replies Andy.
      Paul

Could almost change to 00 (if there was space) just to get a fleet of these they look stunning.

Comment

I have only just found out about these loco's and have put my name down straight away as they look brilliant. I know they seem expensive but I have had other loco's converted to sound and smoke etc and they actually work out more expensive than these A4's. Plus these have the bonus of two sound chips, smoke that looks far superior to sleuth and it emits in time with the piston chuff how brilliant is that. Another bonus is the metal bodies which will prevent melting by the smoke generator, I normally fork out for metal chimneys and repainted.
      Does anyone know of a better release date yet please?

Comment

• Andy Dapol
        Andy Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi, we are currently working on a release date and will post an update as soon as it is confirmed.

Richard, I have also posted in your class 68 area, but I thought it worthy to record in the specifically relevant area, that I support waveringly your decision to delay this model until mid-next year, which, (I should point out on your behalf as modesty will prevent you from doing so) are due to the difficulties of your predecessor in resolving those unacceptable (and hazardous) problems, which were exhibited rather spectacularly at your openday yesterday!

Well done for a difficult decision well made - I applaud you!

Rob

All very best for now and happy modelling

Comment

• Joel Dapol
        Joel Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        see my post in the Class 68 thread `I am not sure who you are but you are obviously out to cause mischief and in my view this type of behaviour is rather pathetic. This type of attempt to spread misinformation serves no good. Rather than delete the post I am leaving it up and will let the good people who reside here *make their own reasoned minds up. All I can say is all the above is a rather malicious attempt to cause trouble and bears no relevance to what I think was a rather enjoyable *and successful open day and reflects positively to the excellent design team that now resides at Dapol.'

Once more Joel, my sincere apologies for communicating the highlights of interest to the modelling public at large, I sincerely did not realise they were for my ears only. Please do not blame Richard, I accept all responsibility.

I felt my support and admiration for Richard should outshine that of your most rude subcontractor, who clearly was upset for what must be understandable personal reasons. Personal relationship breakdowns are never pleasant.

Yours in modelling brotherhood
      Rob

Comment

Hi, I've been watching this model with interest. However, I'm a transition era model and wonder if a BR Green version (or two), such as Mallard, 60022, or one of the 'Empire', such as 'Dominion of Canada', 60010, could be produced. I'm fairly certain that accurate models of these versions would be well received.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          I think this would be a great idea if the range proves to be as successful as initial finding would indicate.

Hi could you please give a date when the A4 Range will be available for dispatch, and when will you require the initial deposit to confirm my order

Comment

• Neil Dapol
          Neil Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi,

Our sales team are in the process of contacting all of those who have expressed interest in owning one of the Black Label A4's at the moment. You should be hearing from them over the next week or so to firm up your order and to take a deposit from you if you wish to proceed with purchasing one.

Does the DCC Decoder support ABC Braking Mode (asynchonous DCC)? And, where can I find the expression of interst form, which does not appear to be attached to your initial post as stated.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
          JeremiahBunyan commented
          Editing a comment
          Most welcome... Sorry for the short forms (which I use only in a hurry).

Some common abbreviations used by many on online forums:-
          HTH - hope this helps
          FWIW - for what it's worth
          IIRC - if I recall correctly
          IMO/IMHO - in my opinion/in my humble opinion
          TBH - to be honest
          SWMBO - she who must be obeyed

• Andy Dapol
          Andy Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          ABC is a Lenz proprietary protocol supported by Loksound in addition to Lenz. Our decoders support brake on DC.

• Northgate
          Northgate commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, without ABC, this otherwise extreemly attractive locomotive cannot realise it's potential on 'Northgate' as the extensive storage loops work automatically using this system and are largely out of sight of the operator.
          By the way, in addition to Lenz & ESU Loksound, most Zimo Decoders support this system as do many decoders from the smaller European manufacturers.
          Yours, BrS

I saw the Black Label A4 on Saturday at the NEC and have to say I'm impressed with this. Now, can you figure out a way to reduce it in scale to N gauge please!?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          We may try :-)

Hi Joel, quick one; I notice a few OO loco's are DCC sound. Is there any consideration for DCC Sound in N?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          I think Andy is better equipped to answer this, but in the short, yes there is and we are actively working on it now.

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          On one or two models fairly well advanced and on new products, we are now looking to build it in from the start.

Awesome! Thanks Joel. Looking forward to hearing the developments. Where are you guys at in the development cycle, if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Do you have an update of when you will be taking the deposits and when you are expecting the loco's to arrive.

Comment

• Neil Dapol
            Neil Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            The sales team are in the process of contacting people who have expressed interest previously. Please feel free to contact us directly if they have not been able to get in touch with you yet.

Collected my Mallard & Silver Fox at Warley - certainly not disappointed. This sets a new benchmark for others to aim for - video on YouTube already! Can't wait for a GWR King to the same standard at some future date.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
            Joel Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            Hello Pete, we are really pleased the models have met with your expectations, we were certainly delighted with them. Did your certificate arrive by the way?
        Working...
        X