Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK5 coaches

Hi,
    Are there any plans to produce the new MK5 coaches to go with the class 68 loco in the TPE colours?

Peter

Originally posted by Pete View Post
    Hi,
    Are there any plans to produce the new MK5 coaches to go with the class 68 loco in the TPE colours?

Peter
    From what I have heard and what I personally think is absolutely logical, Dapol are waiting to see if the Mk.5 coaches will be produced for and used by atleast another 1 or 2 TOCs. I'm not too sure but I think the Caledonian Sleeper Mk.5 and TPE Mk.5 coaches vary slightly. So it makes no sense for Dapol to invest so much money just yet. Hopefully we'll see 1 or 2 more liveries worn by these coaches soon.

This also includes new liveries for the existing TOCs, so maybe if Caledonian Sleeper and TPE change their livery then there's probably some chances

Regards,
    Jeremiah Bunyan.
    Last edited by JeremiahBunyan; 9 June 2018, 06:11.
    Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

All eyes were on Wales, many bidders had been saying Stadler this and that.... As we now know, KeolisAmey, was not the one proposing Mk5A (Please refer to the TPE as 'A' types) & Stadler UKLights for the 'Long distance' services. There are still further suitable new franchises, but not until c.2022/3 onwards. The Mk5 & Mk5A coaches, do vary in window arrangement/height and underfloor bits and bobs. But are part of the Civity UK platform, which includes the class's 195, 196 and 397s. All be it with significant differences.

This not with standing, once the Trans Pennie route is electrified in CP6/7. The next bidder/operator of the next TP franchise might choose a full electric, uniformed, fleet rather than 4 different fleets. (This pure, all be it, informed speculation) There is very much uncertainty in the industry over all these new ROSCOs and their new small batch, low interest rate, stock having long term futures. Watch this space (as in the next 5-7 years space).

Comment

Very unlikely that there will be more of them. The main reason they happened was because the sleeper operation had to have hauled stock - MUs wouldn't have worked. Then TPE wanted new stock as quickly as possible, but the DMU procuction lines were booked up well in advance. However, Stadler could vary their Mk5 design to suit and produce them much more quickly, given that the production line was open at the time and they had just designed UK-gauge loco-hauled stock. DRS could also get more 68s as the production line for them was also open at the time.

The railways in this country don't really like loco-hauled stock, given the obvious single point of failure. The circumstances which led to the TPE order are unlikely to be repeated.

As regards long-term futures of stock, with the number of fairly modern EMUs going off-lease in the next few years the ROSCOs are no doubt going to be getting twitchy - and that will mean that they will aim to cover their costs and make a profit on the initial lease period, which will filter down to higher ticket prices. This country needs a coherent national rolling stock strategy, as without it we see stupid situations where modern EMUs seem to have no further use, whereas clapped-out junk like the 150s are seemngly expected to go on and on when they should be heading for the scrapyard.

As to models, I would like to see them but I'd have thought there are potentially more profitable options - e.g. the IEP in N gauge, which is going to have a wide regional spread and at least three liveries straight away.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
          JeremiahBunyan commented
          Editing a comment
          At the moment Hornby have the sole rights to make the IEP in model form. When asked they said that the IEP was on their radar but they are waiting for the market to improve a bit.
      Working...
      X