Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Duke 71000
    commented on 's reply
    Well having been a modeller since the 1970's. The Editor of two Societies (GRS & JRS), and the owner of an Imports/wholesale/retail model railway business. In addition to having numerous qualifications in real railways, as well as Marketing, Market research and Advertising. I am indeed very aware of the market place. Probably more so than anyone in Britain. As I have access too a large expanse of worldwide market research from numeorus sources, covering the last 40 years of the hobby.

As Dapol currently have nothing in the way of OO scale carriages that they are responsible for design and production. The items in this category that they currently offer, would in my experience be much better marketed as something along the lines of the Hornby "Railroad" range. i.e. to Junior modellers. They therefore need to consider how and what to produce to modern standards in the way of new coaching stock. If Dave Jones (DJ Models) can launch LSWR Gate stock (originally built around 1904) through a single retailer in todays market place. I see no reason why Dapol could not enter the market doing some rather nice period stock including catering vehicles with possibly LED table lamps. Especially as Hornby seem to have a never ending demand for Pullmans.......

The Duke 71000

• JeremiahBunyan
    commented on 's reply
    Indeed, Dapol have found the perfect solution for the HST sets.
    Last edited by JeremiahBunyan; 17 November 2017, 03:20.

• Arthur Hodgett
    commented on 's reply
    I think you are correct Jeremiah. Farish in (N) never sold all the catering coaches for the HST, they were in the bargain bin for years. Dapol have decided to compromise on just one catering coach for the whole HST range and thankfully it and the TGS are included in the main pack, which means they sell the two more difficult to sell coaches in the same quantity at the main engines. I think this is a good way to produce and sell the one of coaches in any rake. I hope the idea catches on for other sets.

• JeremiahBunyan
    replied
    When you put out an example where you listed company ABC producing coach type 123 and say they don't do catering vehicles, then it's not entirely the best option asking company PQR to pick up the so called slack. Whilst the suggestion is good and no doubt sensible there's probably a reason why Hornby and Bachmann haven't made catering vehicles. If you ask Dapol to jump in then the success (if any) on Dapol producing a certain catering vehicle is dependent on what Hornby or Bachmann release in the first place. And also is there concrete evidence that Dapol will be able to sell 2000-3000 units in order to recoup their investments?

To be really honest I've been in the hobby since 1999 and I've been on online forums since 2006 and not once have I seen someone asking for catering vehicles apart from Mk1 variants. So how popular were they?

Leave a comment:

• The Duke 71000
    started a topic Gaps in commercial coaching stock ranges

Gaps in commercial coaching stock ranges

Obviously with an increasing number of manufacturers getting into the business of British outline, and the expanding ranges as a result. The competition gets fiercer !

However numerous gaps also begin to appear, particularly with regard to coaching stock. Simply because coaching stock was often turned out to general designs with a number of variations within a family. The BR Mk1 being a good example.

Although the Dapol range of coaching stock RTR and self assembly type models, is I think most would agree a little dated by current standards. I would have thought this should be a good excuse to start adding one or two modern models to the same level of quality as the expanding locomotive range provides.

There are of course many coaching stock types not yet modelled. But there are also gaps in some otherwise fairly comprehensive ranges. For example the good selection of SR Maunsell coaches in OO (from Hornby), has a gaping hole of NO catering vehicles. This also applies to the same companies Hawksworth range, with again no catering vehicles. Again that other concern Bachmann has just upgraded their Thompson coaches, but appears to have again totally overlooked catering vehicles. As for Southern Bulleid coaches, I would guess the very limited Bachmann range, is due for an upgrade. But as the speed this company appeares to be working at, we the customers may have to wait decades. So as that range is limited to currently just four types, with around another 15 more types not yet modelled. Including First class coaches, Catering types, "Shortie" types, "Multi-door" types and the BRCW built variants. Does this open the door to someone else jumping in and stealing a march on the copetition ????

The Duke 71000
Working...
X