OO GWR Railcar - Opening post:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OO GWR Railcar - Opening post:

The EP of this model was approved early January. Since then the liveries have been drawn and approved and decorated samples are due to ship 3rd week of June. Additional photos will be posted on arrival.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	BR_C&C.JPG
Views:	305
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	486 Click image for larger version

Name:	gwr-8.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	487

Click image for larger version

Name:	gwr-10.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	484 Click image for larger version

Name:	GWR-11.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	488
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Andy Dapol; 7 June 2016, 15:32. Reason: added artwork
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Never knew the existed in the crimson and cream livery... Learnt something new today.
    Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Is it the intention that several livery versions will be released with moulded tail lamps on both ends or are the lamps detachable?

Comment

Hi, The original build had no front lamp brackets or footsteps as # 11 in drawing above, relying on the electric lights. Later a lamp bracket and two front steps were provided for a standard oil lamp to be fitted. Therefore in the tooling we have made two front slides to enable versions with and without lamps and brackets to be produced

Comment

• The Shedmaster
          The Shedmaster commented
          Editing a comment
          So it will presumably come with lamps at both ends as per the drawings above - which will look a bit odd with it running around with a tail lamp on the front but I suppose the alternative is no tail lamp on the back?

I really like the look of this. I think you have chosen a great selection of liveries and number too.

Is there any decision yet about the possibility of scaling this down to N gauge? I would buy all 3 post-war versions if it came out at 1:148.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          I think the N gauge( and O) versions would be fantastic additions. Just a bit too early with whats going on currently to commit and/or announce.

• JeremiahBunyan
          JeremiahBunyan commented
          Editing a comment
          Indeed they'd be lovely in N and O as I am sure there's many who'd want them. Surprisingly I've seen so many N gauge and O gauge modelers modelling the GWR. Funnily enough a gentleman in England has commissioned me to make a whole range of scenic items and locos etc. based on the GWR...... in T-gauge.

Originally posted by Richard Dapol View Post
        Hi, The original build had no front lamp brackets or footsteps as # 11 in drawing above, relying on the electric lights. Later a lamp bracket and two front steps were provided for a standard oil lamp to be fitted. Therefore in the tooling we have made two front slides to enable versions with and without lamps and brackets to be produced
        Please, please don't model an oil tail lamp as a permanent fixture on both ends, just for the sake of having a working tail lamp.

There are aftermarket suppliers like Springside and Modelu who do excellent scale, removable tail lamps with jewelled lenses, and a number of DCC accessory suppliers who produce working tail lamps for those who want them. Please just model the lamp bracket and don't compromise the appearance of the model by having permanently affixed lamps on both ends.

Comment

The later oil lamp is a separate part although on the first EP it was shown fitted

Comment

I find the oil lamp issue a bit of a red herring... it's not as though there is a driver fitted in each end... looking forard to seeing the end product. Is N°17 (Parcels Express) a possible future release? I assume that the slides are (or will be) developped at some stage.

Comment

• Richard Dapol
              Richard Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              Hi, Yes we are considering making no. 17 at a later date, as you rightly say new side slides will be required. Also new interior, glazing and roof modifications will be tooled.

It looks a great model, as I have had one on order since Adam was a small boy, it would be interesting to know when this wonderful creation will become available to us mere mortals.?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
              Joel Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              Hello Alan, we should be issuing some updated news shortly., our apologies for the unfortunate delay.

Not sure if I can post this or not but here goes ,Untill Dapol do produce the GWR Rail Cars in N gauge you could always get a 3D printed from BHE and paint it yourself there are The original No 1 streamlined ,The twin set, and the razor edge Parcels car out and possibly more to follow of there is enough interest .

Comment

• Andy Dapol
              Andy Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              Ohh-er! I shall have to chat up Ray for a pint now

"Since then the liveries have been drawn and approved and decorated samples are due to ship 3rd week of June"

Any news?

Comment

• Andy Dapol
              Andy Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              Good point 47352 I shall nudge the PM for news on this.
              The samples have arrived and there are a few changes needed. I shall post the pictures later on as I am just heading to TINGS.

We are just finalising the lighting for these railcars. We intend to have the following lights working.
            Directional - forward front three lights showing white and one red on rear.
            Cab lighting directional
            Function key for interior lights in DCC
            Would appreciate comments in regard to prototypical operations

Comment

• The Shedmaster
              The Shedmaster commented
              Editing a comment
              The correct forward lights should either be one above each buffer (Class A headcode) or the top one only (Class B headcode) - there was never a requirement for all three white lights to be illuminated simultaneously. These lights were only required to be illuminated after sunset, during for or falling snow or when passing through a tunnel.

The integral rear light was barred from use as a tail lamp just under a year after No.11 was delivered and would thus be incorrect for any later liveries as it was then required that an oil tail lamp be used at all times.

Originally posted by Richard Dapol View Post
            We are just finalising the lighting for these railcars. We intend to have the following lights working.
            Directional - forward front three lights showing white and one red on rear.
            Cab lighting directional
            Function key for interior lights in DCC
            Would appreciate comments in regard to prototypical operations
            All three white marker lights would not all have been on at the same time in ordinary service.

They were provided so that the railcar could show either the headcode for an ordinary passenger train (single light top centre - this was the one used most often) or the headcode for an express passenger train (one light above each buffer - a headcode I strongly suspect was seldom, if ever, used on GWR railcars!).

My experience of the preserved 'angular' example at the KESR in the 1980s was that each light had an individual switch. A good solution would be for the model to have a simple microswitch underneath, so the user could select between 'ordinary' or 'express passenger' headcode if they wish. Bachmann has done this very successfully with the models of 10000 and 10001 (albeit with different selectable headcodes).

Please don't have all three white lights on at the same time - that is a very modern phenomenon, for modern railway standards, and it does not apply to the GWR railcars.

Comment

Hi,
              Thank you both for the feedback on the lighting arrangements which is really helpful and much appreciated. I need to make some changes

Comment

• Finsbury Park
                Finsbury Park commented
                Editing a comment
                The Shedmaster's comment is absolutely right about tail lights. However, if you will include a microswitch underneath the model for the white marker lights (as I mentioned above), could you incorporate an on/off microswitch for the tail lights as well? That way modellers have the option of using the electric tail light or not. This is, again, a feature that Bachmann included with 10000/10001 which I think works very well.

Hello,

I think that the roof colours for No8 and W10 are not quite right. I am pretty sure they should both be the same shade of GWR roof grey. This is a darker shade of grey than BR coach roof grey (which you have about right on W14W).

The correct colour for both Railcars should be same shade that you used for the N Gauge Society K41 in post-war livery (No 147 IIRC). In spite of its BR-style numbering, W10 is still in GWR livery and the colours should match accordingly.

I know of the colour photo of it at Swansea with a very dark roof but I am almost certain this is due to weathering and accumulated soot/diesel deposits (just look what the same weathering has done to the cream canopy valance above it ). When new, the roof would have been the same shade of grey as the post-war coaching stock.

Last edited by Matt Pinto; 29 September 2016, 14:14.

Comment

Working...
              X