• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andy Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    No problem, glad to have helped.

• woodbury22uk
    commented on 's reply
    Andy Dapol I understand the fine dimensions we are working with here. Also I recognise that on a curve the wheelset moves in the bogie frame tilting the axle laterally making one wheel fractionally higher than the other as one pinpoint slides down the cup and the opposite side rides up the cup. Pleased that the axis of the cup will be no more than 0.06mm offset from the true axlebox centre on the N wagons. That will do for me.

• Andy Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    Hi, yes it was. I had attempted to explain why the center does not align. when the bogie is dismantled or viewed without weight on the wheelset.
    There is inevitable vertical play when the axle is fitted into the bearing cup. If centers of the cup were aligned with the (dummy) axlebox this would mean the wheelset sits too high when loaded. By positioning the center below the desired position, when loaded (placed on the track) the position of that wheelset is correct within the tolerances.

In OO the tolerance is a scale 3/4 inch, in N, a scale 1/3rd inch.

• woodbury22uk
    commented on 's reply
    I thought that the point made by steadfast was that the pinpoint centre does not align with the axlebox centre. Hopefully this will not be an issue with the N version. It would put me off buying a Class 59 if the the ideal wagons were compromised.

• Andy Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Jo, (@steadfast),
    Thanks for your kind comments and observation. Having re-checked the model against the point you raised I believe this is due to 'model railway' tolerances and can be present on many wagons from all manufacturers.
    In order to accommodate variations in gauge the pin-point axle design is created with some side to side play, due to the conical nature this has the effect of raising/lowering the wheelset within the model. In the examples I checked this was as much as 0.25mm. Of course making these tolerances even smaller would make the wheelset too tight to run freely and reduce the 'compensating effect' of independent axles.
    This difference is most obvious if the model is viewed without weight on the wheels at eye level. When viewed from above and placed on track there was no discernible problem with the models checked. In 2mm (your chosen scale) these tolerances are reduced by 50% making them even less visible.

• Joel Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    Hello Jo thanks for the message. I think Andy is best to answer this but he is on holiday currently. I am sure he will answer on his return, however, I do know the N gauge version is currently in tooling.

Cheers

Joel

• steadfast
    replied
    Hi there Andy Dapol Joel Dapol

I couldn't see a section for the JHAs in the N gauge section so here we go.

Despite being an N gauge modeller, I've purchased a 4mm model of the JHA and on the whole think it's a cracking model, capturing the shape well of a prototype I am very familiar with that I am around most days working on the real railway.

One thing that has jumped out is that there is a discrepancy between the position of the yellow axlebox on the bogies and the actual position of the axle, whereby the axle doesn't align correctly and there is too much wheel visible below the bogie sideframe. Seeing how the model has a flat floor, I presume this has been done to allow flange clearance? I see this has also been carried across to the CAD of the N scale models.

Looking at other wagons with a similar lack of flange clearance, the bottom of the wagon is cut away underneath to offer the greater clearance. On your own Ferry vans and IHA / KIA Tiphook steel wagons, the floor is flat and raised above the bottom of the solebars to give clearance . The Farish BDA wagon has semi circular cutouts in the floor, again allowing for the flange to be hidden withing the wagon body. Looking at the bogie rotation angles on the 4mm JHA, the flanges would not interfere with the body sides when at maximum rotation so this would not cause a conflict with the flanges of the wheels.

If it's not too late, please consider revising this on the N scale JHA model, as it makes the wagon proportions look off, and also presumably makes the wagon sit higher (as I have an inner wagon, I cannot measure buffer height). If the wagon height is compromised, it may consequentially look off mixed with other wagons or with locos, especially in N where long trains can be run.

All the best
    Jo

Leave a comment:

• Joel Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    Hello Darryl, my apologies for the interjection. The JHA's are now complete, however, we are experiencing problems arranging reasonably priced container space coming out of China, especially on the run up to Chine New Year. Freight chances have gone up five fold and space is hard to book. As a result there is slight delay but hope to have them shipped soon after the return from CNY.

• daz9284
    replied
    Andy Dapol , hi mate, hope you and your family are doing and keeping well, as well as everyone at Dapol. Just wondering if there is an update on when the JHAs are due to arrive on our shores?

many thanks
    Darryl

Leave a comment:

• Andy Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    Hi, Thanks for the suggestion. Nothing on the horizon currently, but if you start work, then someone will probably release one just as the paints drying

• daz9284
    commented on 's reply
    many thanks mate. just upped my order of the with rails of sheffield. can't wait for them. before i start trying to modify one of your Freightliner HIA's into a MRL IIA, do you have plans to release them in the future?

• Andy Dapol
    replied
    Hi daz9284 There have been various difficulties recently due to the virus in China and the UK, however we have managed to overcome this by working closely with our factories to minimise impact on production. However this has required some changes in production schedules to suit. The JHAs are next in line after our Turbots. We still anticipate these to coincide with the class 59 release.

Leave a comment:

• daz9284
    replied
    Andy Dapol I hope you are well and keeping safe. I know that there will be a delay with the corono virus, but is there an update as to when the JHAs can be expected to be with retailers? many thanks, Darryl

Leave a comment:

• daz9284
    commented on 's reply
    shame. probably jumping the gun but what about box wagons Mendip JNA's, JYA's??

• Andy Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    IanS
    Hi Ian, more of an FYI than a correction , and you are correct a 'natural' finish was in vogue at the time. From the original specifications the actual colour was RAL 7001 cunningly described as 'Silver-Grey'! though it is a solid, rather than metallic paint.
    Also worth note is that the early livery wagons underframe/bogies etc. were RAL Grey-Brown (A sort of dark Chocolate), whilst the late livery were black.
    Rgds
    Andy
Working...
X