Rail Head Treatment Trains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rail Head Treatment Trains

I wonder is there any merit in tooling up the various modules of the RHTT which runs on FEAs which Dapol produce in both scales. I saw on the MREMag wishlist pole the RHTT featured fairly highly and I have personally made many kits of the RHTT with Dapol FEAs and have found they are rather popular with fellow modellers.

I know realistically the FEA would have to be re-tooled into the single wagon FEA-Fs - I am sure the FEA-S in GBRf and FEA-E in Freightliner would be welcomed from any re-tooling.

Hmm, my inner modeller says this is an interesting idea. I shall certainly consider this option although its not a trivial change due to the manufacturer of the loads.
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• baister1
      baister1 commented
      Editing a comment
      If you're considering them in 00, you definitely need to look at them in N too!

Thank you for the response. Sounds promising, could 3D printing of some of the modules help with tooling costs?

Comment

• Andy Dapol
      Andy Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      Injection moulding is still 'king' in terms of mass production. Although 3D techniques are catching up fast, injection still offers a superior finish, at least for now!

Oh yes, please do a RHTT. I've got some class 20's that are crying out for this

Comment

This is what I have managed to knock up in the past. Though would greatly improve with single wagon FEA-F. (and manufactured rather than kit built modules)
      The institute for manufacturing in Cambridge did a wonderful talk recently on the dosen or so experimental 3D printing techniques to address the speed and quality of 3D printing, though the price would be considerably higher than tooling and injection moulding!

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
        JeremiahBunyan commented
        Editing a comment
        Outstanding work mate!

This would be a fantastic model to have in ready to run, I'd certainly buy at least a 2 car unit, probably a 3 car unit as well! Plenty of locals capable of running this!

Could even be the start of more departmental rolling stock!

Comment

My 3D print model on Broadwater junction , with Dapol EWS management train around. wagons Dapol FEA with added buffer details to make single wagons, using NEM conversion kit to mount inner coupler. Must work well train run ok and no weeds !

Comment

159220 commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks fantastic. I have used the S-Kits modules before, but find them time consuming and fiddly. But with a good result as you can see from my photo above. Do you sell your 3D prints through a service? Forgive me, I do not know how 3D prints sell... Of course, can easily cling onto my rake as we patiently wait for what would be a superb model from Dapol.

I would really like some of the RHTT wagons.

There are plenty of suitable modern image diesel locos to run with them.

I have lots of DRS locos that would be suitable. 37s, 47s, 57s, 66s not to mention others that I would like to buy.

Would it be possible to produce all wagons/sets? As they all work in different locations and with different locos.

I would very much like these.

Comment

Originally posted by 159220 View Post
          I wonder is there any merit in tooling up the various modules of the RHTT which runs on FEAs which Dapol produce in both scales. I saw on the MREMag wishlist pole the RHTT featured fairly highly and I have personally made many kits of the RHTT with Dapol FEAs and have found they are rather popular with fellow modellers.

I know realistically the FEA would have to be re-tooled into the single wagon FEA-Fs - I am sure the FEA-S in GBRf and FEA-E in Freightliner would be welcomed from any re-tooling.
          Great suggestion, any info regarding when they entered service? Have they been around for a while or are they relatively new?
          Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

The FEA-F were constructed in 2005 by Greenbrier (Poland), numbered 642001 to 642050, they have through wiring for multiple working (NR NDS can confirm system) and 'plumbing' for rail head application. (Originally for the 2004 season, KFA wagons with GPS bogies were used before the FEA-F were delivered).

Not to be confused with RHTT circuits using re-engineered former Avon Binliner KFA wagons recently introduced in 2013 on the Southern/Kent circuit out of Tonbridge.

There are three standard 20ft 'containerised' pallets for all RHTT FEA-F (plus the 12 KFAs). (I include links to the companies involved for further information, I am sure you have a relevant NR contact?)

Sandite Module: Built by Socofer in 2004, composed of a 1,400 litre application system (tank, plumbing and nozzle) and an 'energy system' (NR moved away from Sandite application and replaced with LNT TrackGrip 60). 2-6 litre per minute application. Not all RHTT circuits have sandite modules. Can be identified as 3Sxx if sandite is included and 3Jxx if not. See: http://www.socofer.com/modular-solutions

Water Jetting Module: Built by Woma in 2004 (second build 2013), composed of a 1,450 bar spray system including a generator unit and water jets mounted on the FEA-F (cutting rate is 10mm per 30 second at full output! Thus system automatically cuts at sub 3 mph). 90 litres per minute max. application. See: http://www.woma.uk.com/complete-systems

Water Tank Module: Built by Protran (JND/Clarke Chapman) in 2004 (second build 2013), composed of a 17,100 litre water tank. Each tank can cover c.60 miles of water jetting. Longer circuits thus have additional water tanks. See: http://www.clarkechapman.co.uk/en-GB...-product-range

Edit due to: Edited facts surrounding Sandite. NR last used in 2009. The performance of S4 Sandite limited application to a maximum of 40 mph. Also was an expensive product. TG60 allows application at 60 mph (same as Water Jetting). Again only used in areas where rail adhesion is poor.
            Last edited by 159220; 23 August 2016, 00:35.

Comment

The RHTTs have a 'high polling' status on The Wishlist Poll 2016... we are not alone! Certainly more variation on the network this year with Colas locomotives running more diagrams and there seems to be an increasing loss of 'sandite' TrackGrip 60 modules in favour of additional water tanks and just the jetting module. Potential for more than one pack, but a variation in packs on offer?

Comment

I would really like to see several RHTT sets produced.

I have a lot of locos that I would like to run with them, in particularly DRS locos. With Class 68s covering some of the Yorkshire RHTTs at the moment it would be very good to re-create that scenario in model form.

I would really like the RHTT sets that operate out of York Works and Stowmarket which are operated by DRS locos.

Could some RHTT sets be produced for next autumn in time for the 2017 RHTT season?

Thank you very much in advance.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                Joel Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the suggestion. I am not sure we couldachieve this at the moment I am afraid as we are full on with already announced items, but it it good to go on the list though.

159220 commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds as if Joel Dapol is coming around to the idea of a RHTT....
            Working...
            X