IKA Megafrets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IKA Megafrets

Are you going to make a re run with the Stobart and Tesco containers?? Also, will you make more separate 45' containers in stobart

I hope we could get the latest livery carried on the 45ft containers too:

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/Th...LLP9/i-CHjVvM3

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/Th...LLP9/i-x426LWZ

Though Joel commented over on the container thread that they were leaving the curtain sided containers until the UK team is trained up on the standard containers.

Perhaps in the meantime, the Megafrets could carry some of the other standard pallet 45ft containers seen on supermarket traffic? (Which includes a Tesco branded 2xl container)

https://digest.dapol.co.uk/forum/mai...ontainer-packs

Comment

• Joel Dapol
      Joel Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      I think we are now confident about curtain sided containers and we will be starting this project in the next month or two. In the meantime, we are definitely open to suggestions on 45' container ideas, especially if accompanied with photos with details and numbers etc.

159220 commented
      Editing a comment
      That is excellent news. I listed good choices of 45ft containers here: https://digest.dapol.co.uk/forum/mai...?p=628#post628. An excellent site is the Humble Box, as Flickr seems to vary in container photos - seems most like a photo of the locomotive and not the containers!

Russell, 2XL and Unit 45 are essential containers for any working on the Megafrets. Tesco seems to be moving over to the high cube 45ft too, provided by 2XL.

Happily compile photos and branding references from the relevant company websites if it would help.
      Last edited by 159220; 30 June 2016, 14:54.

• Joel Dapol
      Joel Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      That would be great thank you. Decent photos and any information would be most welcome.

I'm not sure if anyone else shares this problem or whether its just the track, but I own 3 pairs of Megafrets and each time it goes over my Hornby set track points is derails and sometimes on 3rd radius curves. Is there a known resolution for this or is it a case of getting different wheel/points/or filling the containers with liquid gravity? Any advice would be much appreciated

Comment

• Joel Dapol
      Joel Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      HI Ben, not a commonly reported problem, I would add some weight and see if this corrects the problem. If it does not let us know.

Alright thanks Joel, I will test on other points first and add weight to the containers and see from there, thanks though.

Comment

I've had weathered and in-weathered wagons and not had a problem with any of them, they run quite well over straight and curved points...

I do use Peco points...

Comment

Yeah I was wondering if it is points as I use the Hornby short points, the set track ones so maybe I shall change to Peco for the layout

Comment

• pegleg90
          pegleg90 commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Ben,

I had a similar issue with the FEA wagons using Hornby curves (second radius and in particular S bends), straight and curved points. Can't say on IKA's. My conclusion was due to the tight radius and the length of the FEA body, too much weight was over hanging the track thus making it un-balanced and de-railing. Haven't done anything to the wagons as i've not used them since for one reason or another (mainly work)!

Hope this of some help?

Regards
          Alistair

Do you at dapol have any track that is optimal for running of the IKA Megafrets etc, so I can avoid derailments as much as possible with my future layout?

Comment

Joel Dapol Neil Dapol Are there any immediate plans for another run of the popular IKA Megafret wagons? No doubt if supplied with Russell containers they would prove popular. I find myself now in a unique position where I have more Daventry based containers than the wagons to transport them.

Comment

• Martin Jones
            Martin Jones commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting you say that about growth, maybe for DRS but have you seen the almost empty WCML Freightliners lately, mostly running half full or almost empty !

159220 commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry I have not seen, but I am on the WCML on Friday/Saturday and hope to catch some of the supermarket domestic intermodal services. By Freightliner WCML do you mean their Heavy Haul domestic intermodal which Russells contracts or Freightliner Limited intermodal on the WCML?

I have seen these two Russells Freightliner Heavy Haul images on Flickr from around the weekend. Looking as usual, full loadings. The loadings on the domestic intermodal with Malcolm (operated currently by DBCUK and a primary customer as ASDA), Russells (operated currently by Freightliner Heavy Haul (shortly to be Freightliner Group once merger fully implemented but retains pools for FFHH) and a primary customer as Sainsbury's) and Stobart (operated currently by DRS and a primary customer as Tesco) generally are fully loaded as to supply supermarkets (and a few other retailers) daily. Though on the 16th you might of seen more locomotives than containers!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117822...208553/sizes/l
            https://www.flickr.com/photos/609631...892762/sizes/l

I know of fairly reliable indication that both DBCUK and DRS shall be announcing further domestic flows.

159220 commented
            Editing a comment
            Joel Dapol Do you have numbers of the new IKA Megafrets to announce since July? Hopefully some new 45ft container liveries to be released separately and made in the UK....
        Working...
        X