No announcement yet.

More Class 73/0 liveries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just reading back through this thread and I don't think on my first reading I registered Finsbury Park's comment #14.2 re cab/compartment lighting. He makes a very valid point and has convinced me of that which I already suspected: that cab lighting is an irrelevant gimmick.

Thinking it through, a little light bleeding in to the driving cab from the headlights ought to be enough to convincingly simulate console lighting. And telling myself that, has helped me to turn disappointment to satisfaction with some models!

To benefit from compartment lighting though, a model would need to have etched compartment grills and perhaps some detail behind. That would surely add cost, but done well it might be worth paying for.

Comment

• woodbury22uk
      woodbury22uk commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess the “electricity bill” issue only applied on electrified lines. But I recall lights being turned on and off on DMUs and diesel hauled trains. On my 20 or so cab rides I only remember cab lights being on for a few seconds while the secondman rummaged in his bag for the driver’s cigarettes!

• The Duke 71000
      The Duke 71000 commented
      Editing a comment
      Woodbury22uk,
      Not at all, BR had to pay its electricity bill for stations, yard and depot lighting, the electric kettles train crew used to make tea. In other words everything a domestic house or factory used, as just another "customer".

For example when I rented a ex GWR carpenters unit (signalling dept), at Taunton station around 1994. There was an electric metre in the adjacent building. I asked the Railtrack letting agent what should I do in relation to paying my electric bill. You won't get one he stated. BR was put on a flat rate charge per annum by Governement a few decades back (1978), so nobody comes to read metres anymore. The rate for the whole Bristol to Penzance region of BR was a flat £1 Million per annum at that time (in 1994), he revealed !
      The Duke 71000

• woodbury22uk
      woodbury22uk commented
      Editing a comment
      The Duke 71000 Of course I expected BR to pay for its electricity in general . My comment related to the use of lights on trains as mentioned in your post #16.1.

If anybody has any other photographs of E6004 they can share this would be much appreciated and be most helpful in generating the artwork for this locomotive. I am looking for (preferably colour) images of it with it in BR Green, with grey/green stripe with SYP.

Any photographs of the other locos mentioned above would also be much appreciated.
    Regards
    Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• Finsbury Park
      Finsbury Park commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you bought a copy of the Colour Rail http://www.colourrail.com photo ref DE25 that I mentioned on the previous page? It'll only cost Dapol a few quid and is an excellent close-up 3/4 view of the loco in that livery.
Working...
X