More Class 73/0 liveries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Class 73/0 liveries?

Before looking at more modern variants of the Class 73, is Dapol planning on producing more liveries from the existing tooling?

I'm thinking particularly of a Class 73/0 in green with grey stripe and small yellow warning panels. Like this: http://www.dawlishtrains.com/uploads...52247_orig.jpg (Note the headlight and orange cantrail stripe were modern additions when E6003 was repainted in green)

You have done E6001 in plain green with yellow panels for the Collector's Club and E6003 in green with grey stripe but no yellow panels. However, green with grey stripe and small yellow warning panels was probably the most-seen version of the 73/0 in green, carried by E6002 to E6006.

As Finsbury Park has said will there be more liveries on the card for the existing tooling? I am thinking along the lines of NSE to celebrate the 30th year!
    Thanks all Darren

Comment

Most definitely. There are a number of new liveries planned which will ensure /0s and /1s for some time yet. The new /9s etc. are a discussion point at the moment, and would be an addition to the range at a point in the future.
      Regards
      Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

How about this? Another livery for the 73/0 and counts as a 73/9 too, technically!
        Last edited by 47352; 15 June 2016, 15:07.

Comment

Originally posted by 47352 View Post
          How about this? Another livery for the 73/0 and counts as a 73/9 too, technically!
          That looks interesting enough for me to want. Dapol!!! Dapol!!!! Where are you??? Me want that!
          Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Dapol View Post
            Most definitely. There are a number of new liveries planned which will ensure /0s and /1s for some time yet. The new /9s etc. are a discussion point at the moment, and would be an addition to the range at a point in the future.
            Cheers Andy thats good to know

Comment

Yes that it good to know Andy as I would like to see one or two Network South East examples, but also the Railtrack Blue/Lime Green which came before the Network Rail Yellow livery.

Comment

I would like to see a Network Rail 73138 produced, a clear winner of liveries, big geographical spread, popular livery but would need additional lighting (and a camera) to one end. 138 did run in NR livery with out the additional lighting for a short time, but for the highest sales potential and longest period in the livery, the lighting would need to be supplied. Hopefully the current chassis can allow this?

One thing I would also welcome, is some of the variation we see under GBRf.

BR Blue 73201 'Broadlands' has been with GBRf since 2009, it allows a diverse livery within modern 73 operations with GBRf. Great name too (my school was near the Broadlands estate). An even more appealing 73 would be GBRf 73119 'Borough of Eastleigh' either in its BR Blue or GBRf 'Europorte' livery. Especially if you do not proceed with the 73/9 tooling I am sure another GBRf would sell. 119 very unlikely shall enter the /9 programme anytime soon.

Another good one would be South West Trains 73109 'Battle of Britain'. Could then be modeled with an 2001- period with the upcoming SWT Class 450 (073). Though I am likely to de-brand it to run with GBRf as it did in the latter years of the livery.

I go with total agreement with others here that a NSE 73 is a must, 73129 City of Winchester is a good one!

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                  JeremiahBunyan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Please put me down for a SWT one...very colourful one and seeing as there may never be a 73/9 I may have to settle for one of these.

159220 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Joel Dapol Richard Dapol hopefully Richard shall be happy to share the 2nd batch line up with art work or livery samples for us all to discuss soon then. Sounds very promising! (And good compliments to the Olivias Trains limited editions).

159220 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just to confirm, is Richard Dapol working on livery drawings or awaiting samples of batch number two? No doubt many modellers are eagerly awaiting the chance to view and discuss.
                  Last edited by 159220; 9 August 2016, 17:14.

Presuming this thread has now become a 'Class 73 livery suggestions' post as lots of 73/1 liveries mentioned here?

If so, NSE is arguably the most important livery not currently applied to the Dapol OO 73.

Comment

For 73/0s , I'd have thought 004 and 005 in their special blue schemes would have been popular.

73/1s , Network South East , Intercity Mainline (with the tiny numbers)

Comment

There are so many options, but if I had to state a preference:
                    - 73205 London Chamber of Commerce as per:
                    http://kentrail.org.uk/istt_1990_cj.jpg

- 73005 Watercress Line as per:
                    https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8046/...7cdef588_b.jpg

- 73901 in Merseyrail as above;
                    - either or both of the Railtrack versions;
                    - 73109 Battle of Britain in NSE
                    - 73114 in Mainline blue
                    - 73003 Sit Herbert Walker as noted above in green
                    - one or both of the EPS / Eurostar 73s
                    - Broadlands in Royal Train livery...

ah the list goes on!!

Comment

Hi there - would also like to suggest 73205 in Inter City Mainline Livery - would fit in nicely with the 4TC set in RTC colours for the Channel Tunnel Testing Set which is being released early next year - a sure fire hit !

Comment

Originally posted by Finsbury Park View Post
                        Before looking at more modern variants of the Class 73, is Dapol planning on producing more liveries from the existing tooling?

I'm thinking particularly of a Class 73/0 in green with grey stripe and small yellow warning panels. Like this: http://www.dawlishtrains.com/uploads...52247_orig.jpg (Note the headlight and orange cantrail stripe were modern additions when E6003 was repainted in green)

You have done E6001 in plain green with yellow panels for the Collector's Club and E6003 in green with grey stripe but no yellow panels. However, green with grey stripe and small yellow warning panels was probably the most-seen version of the 73/0 in green, carried by E6002 to E6006.
                        Do you have a historical photograph of E6002,4,5 or 6 in the livery you describe rather than a photograph of a preserved locomotive?
                        Regards
                        Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Hi Neil. Sorry for the delayed reply, I don't come here too often.

Photos of JAs (or class 73/0s) in green with grey band and small yellow panels in their original BR days can be found at:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/8683485853/ (E6004)
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/robert...7603648772112/ (Unidentified)

Colour Rail http://www.colourrail.com
                          Photo ref DE25 (E6004)
                          Photo ref 258866 (E6006)

The Power Of The Electro Diesels (OPC 1980)
                          Black and white photos, plates 11, 12 and 13 (E6004 and E6006)

I have a decent colour photo of E6004.

For some reason E6005 seemed to be extremely camera shy!

Hope this helps, please do a JA in this livery!
                          Last edited by Finsbury Park; 27 September 2016, 12:33.

Comment

• Finsbury Park
                            Finsbury Park commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Thanks Neil. I look forward to the hope that E6004 and/or E6006 will appear in green/grey stripe, small yellow panel.

Is there any chance that you could do away with the cab lighting as well? As I mentioned on the GWR railcar thread, you almost never see or saw a locomotive or multiple unit in motion with the cab lights on (after dark they reflect off the inside of the windscreens, making it almost impossible for the driver to see ahead, and of course they are invisible from outside during the day). Yet manufacturers insist on including this all-but pointless feature.

Seeing a loco in motion after dark with its engine room lights on, however, was much more common, but they are never included in a model!

• Neil Dapol
                            Neil Dapol commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I will post the livery list in the near future, hopefully there is something there for everyone, I will have to speak to our technical department over what changes are going to be made to the internals....

• Finsbury Park
                            Finsbury Park commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I have just noticed an important detail difference...

Note that in this photo, E6004 has the large, round buffers https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/8683485853/
                            However, in this photo, the unidentified JA still has oval buffers. https://www.flickr.com/photos/robert...7603648772112/

All the photos I can find of E6004 and E6006 in green with small yellow panels show the large buffers, while I have a photo showing E6005 with large buffers in all-over green (therefore it must have had them with the small yellow panels - if it ever carried small yellows?). Thus the unidentified loco is the above photo is most probably E6002 or E6003. Unfortunately it's impossible to enlarge it enough to be certain.

All of this really goes to prove that the 'safest' (in terms of documented prototypical accuracy) option for a JA in green with small yellow panels has to be E6004 or E6006, modelled with the large, round buffers.

Can we look forward to seeing art work/livery samples of batch two shortly? I am looking forward to seeing the line up!

Comment

• Neil Dapol
                            Neil Dapol commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I am in the process of finalising the liveries and loco running numbers, I will let you all in on the secret shortly and hopefully we can all gauge how we like them we are trying to incorporate some of the Digest suggestions in the batch whilst saving some, for later batches.

159220 commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Okay thank you. A pleasing surprise would be GBRf Europorte 73119 'Borough of Eastleigh' or Network Rail 73138 with additional lighting GBRf has given such a wonderful range of liveries on the 73s over the last decade and I would buy every single one!
                            Last edited by 159220; 28 September 2016, 11:06.
                        Working...
                        X