No announcement yet.

Liveries for the next production run of Class 73's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see the word "PROMISE" has been added unnecessarily lately...
    Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Class 73/0 (JA type) - For Basingstoke !
      Looking forward to the expected Class 73/0 from Dapol, which will shunt the item seen in the photos below into the sidings.

Click photos to enlarge.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E6001 Class 73-0 (02).JPG Views:	1 Size:	377.6 KB ID:	7491
      Above: A Hornby Railroad range Class 73/0 much modified by yours truly. Here seen in Barton Mill carriage sidings on my part built layout "Basingstoke 1958-67".

Click image for larger version  Name:	E6001 Class 73-0 (03).JPG Views:	1 Size:	382.9 KB ID:	7492
      Above: Being only "railroad range" a lot of missing detail had to be added such as cab steps, and below the bufferbeam brake hoses. It does however run very well even though it only comes with a simple motor bogie mechanism, and will pull 10 coaches up my 1 in 100 gradients. As my DapolClass 73/1 seen below, has already demonstrated it can haul a lot more. This Hornby item will hopefully be replaced soon by the new Dapol JA (class 73/0).

Click image for larger version  Name:	E6039 at Barton Mill carriage sidings (02).JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	7493
      Above: My Dapol class 73/1 just fits into my era (1958-67) and is seen here testing my new handbuilt pointwork for the Barton Mill carriage sidings. This new Dapol model has already replaced a Hornby railroad range equivilant.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E6039 at Barton Mill sidings (05).JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.18 MB ID:	7494
      Above: Another angle on my Dapol Class 73/1 lugging a 9-car rake of Bulleid coaches through the pointwork. In the foreground can be seen another crossover under construction (part of the "Down East Yard") and in the background the beginnings of the triple arch road bridge over the Basingstoke to Reading line.

Click image for larger version  Name:	E6039 passing Barton Mill (01).JPG Views:	1 Size:	876.5 KB ID:	7495
      Above: Having got tired of shunting E6039 is now off to Waterloo on the Up Fast, and passing Barton Mill signalbox. The loco, carriages and even the signalbox have already received certain modifications to make them more suited to an exhibition layout. Mods to the loco include buffers in retracted position (needed when working with Buckeye fitted stock in real life). Kadee couplings which are more realistic, especially on this model. Suitable Headcodes (91 being a London-Bournemouth Fast). And just a bit of weathering around the diesel exhaust, as the loco was new in late 1966, so right at the end of my era. The (missing) third rail will be added to this 4 track mainline just as soon as I get around to it. The layout is big 87ft x 22ft 9in, so construction is rather drawn out, but 80% of the baseboards and track are now complete, with basically just the main station area to be completed, before signalling and wiring commences. The completed layout will be on virtual permanent exhibition in one of the Museums buildings, at Mora La Nova (Southern Catalonia Spain).

THE MODELS.
      The Dapol Class 73's, both 73/0 (JA type) and 73/1 (JB type) types will form a small part of the final layout fleet, of around 130 locos. Both types are needed on the layout as the JA's could NOT run with EMU or TC type stock, only loco hauled coaches, freight and the DEMU fleet. Due to a wiring error in the original design. The later JB's corrected that wiring fault, so could run with the EMU/TC stock, coaches and freight but NOT the DEMU fleet, or with an earlier Class 73/0 JA type in Multiple only in Tandem. So the Models of both types will be needed to operate some of the unusual combinations of stock as described below, during the 1966 and 1967 layout schedules.

THE REAL LOCOS AND OPERATION DURING 1966-67.
      At the interesting time of these locomotives introduction 1962-67, both types were used fairly intensifly on some rather odd combinations of stock between London Waterloo and Bournemouth. As the 4REP "Power pack EMU's" were having a few teething problems in addition to being delayed in construction.

This meant the original class 73/0 JA types, were to be seen substituting for ailing steam locos often on semi-fast services hauling normal coaching stock, as well as parcels and certain freight duties.

The newer Class 73/1 JB's, although not officially part of the Bournemouth electrification scheme, were soon heavily immersed in helping out. Much of the stock for the Bournemouth electrification was being tested in public service from Easter 1967, pending full service introduction on 10/7/67. I myself as a child was a passenger on a relief train at Easter 1967 formed of a 4TC-4REP-4TC (in that non standard order). Further as the 4REP's revealed certain teething problems, their Restaurant vehicles were in some cases temporarly transfered into TC units. Odd combinations of restaurant TC stock with Class 73/1 power were a daily occurance. However a Class 73 was only HALF the power of a 4REP (1,600hp as against the 3,200hp of a 4REP). So 2x Class 73/1 was sometimes seen, although this revealed an arching problem from all the shoes on the ED's (Not fully cured until Class 73/1's were used on the Victoria -Gatwick Airport service with a 500hp GLV some years later). Even an ED sandwiched between two 4TC units was not unknown. Cromptons (Class 33/0) diesels were also seen hauling TC stock as well as the few Class 33/1already available working in unison with TC's. But again the Class 33 at 1,550hp were not really up to the timetabled schedules for trains supposed to include a 4REP. As a result of that fact many trains were only formed of 8TC and either an ED or Crompton for motive power. Another odd combination was tried successfully at this time namely a Class 73/1or a Class 33/1 + 8TC and a 1000hp 4VEP. This certainly gave better power (2,550 or 2,600hp), but created a problem at Waterloo as not all the platforms could accommodate 13 vehicles.

The virtually unique mix of operational Diesel and Electric traction in one train was resurrected in the late 1980's early 1990's, when the 17.30 and 18.30 Mon-Fri departures from Waterloo to both Salisbury and Southampton (Dividing at Basingstoke) were formed of 8VEP-4TC-Class 33/1. This 3,550hp combination was rather fun to drive (I was a Driver on the South Western at the time). Leaving Waterloo, you could wack the power handle open in the leading EMU cab. The EMU's responded immediately, but the Crompton at the rear had about 5 seconds of delayed reaction as the Sulzer diesel engine had to acquire RPM. So first you moved slowly as the electrics tried to drag the Diesel at the rear. Then the Crompton kicked in and you rocketed forward, and had to use the brake to not exceed the 15mph out of the platform. Out on the line 90mph+ was quite easy assuming the Crompton had not got a speed restrictor which caused it to return to "tick over" at about 88mph. But even 2,000hp of EMU was enough at line speed to keep the whole train at about 95mph. So first stop Woking was possible in 5 minutes under schedule, assuming no adverse signals.

At the time (1966-67) of this unusual steam, diesel, electric service. Many drivers were in the process of retraining from steam on the new traction. As steam drivers had no qualms about exceeding the nominal 90mph maximum on the Southern Region, if they could get their Bulleid Pacifics to go faster. (106mph on the Up at Surbiton with a Merchant Navy on the Bournemouth Belle was one reliably recorded incident). They had the same atittude towards the new traction. It was not long before rumours of certainly Class 73's and 4REP's hurtling down the mainline at speeds in excess of 100mph, particularly between Micheldever and Eastleigh, began to surface. Management eventually responded to these "rumours" by sending Locomotive Inspectors out with those Drivers rumoured to be speed freaks. In more recent times at the introduction of the "Wessex Electric" units, the first trains authorised for 100mph on SR, Locomotive Inspectors where even known to hide behind bridges with Police type "Speed guns". So two of them were rather shocked to record a Class 50 and 8 coaches doing a reputed 126mph on the Up Fast at Fleet. The train may have been 20mins late leaving Salisbury but it was certainly early at Waterloo. So early in fact, it was never discovered who the driver was. As the booked driver had been rushed to Hospital in Salisbury with suspected Peratanitis......

Well that little lot should give you plenty of reason to get another Dapol Class 73...........

The Duke 71000
      Last edited by The Duke 71000; 9 July 2018, 15:28.

Comment

Working...
      X