X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed, it's been quite a while, any update Joel Dapol
    Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

It's been challenging year with regard to multiple project management, and particularly frustrating in regard to this model. We have experienced a number of issues during testing that I required to be resolved, additionally, electronic component quality and supply problems occurred, and the implementation of the decoration changes requested long ago.
    The 'knock on' effect is that it takes time for a problem to be revealed, time to resolve and, as is the nature of these things the factory will move schedules around if a project stalls whilst we or another subcontractor resolves issues.

We are now at the stage where I am expecting final paint 'chips' for the ARC and Powergen liveries and the model will start production shortly after I approve these.
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

With a certain retailer (to whom I do not shop with yet they are unavoidable) advising delivery August/September - can one assume production on the class 59 has started?

Can we expect to see pre-production livery samples, I remember before Dapol confirming the DB example was being edited.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
        JeremiahBunyan commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a bit of a shocker for a date. If delivery is due in August/September, then production should've been complete by now as shipping itself takes about 6 weeks and customs clearance takes 1-2 weeks. If they are in production or on their way then that's good news!

Hi,
      Thanks for the enquiry. it has indeed been a while since an update has been made. I wish I could simply agree with ans answer the comments above, but in fact the whole of manufacturing (in China) and transport to the UK is undergoing an extremely challenging period which creates uncertainty throughout. I will attempt to share a little of the challenges which I and my colleagues deal with on a daily basis in this (rather long-winded) post:

In common with other manufacturers (inside and outside of our industry and as has been reported and discussed elsewhere) we are affected by various delays in China (and indeed in the movement of product from China to the UK). Unfortunately, the old rules of what 'should be' have not applied for some time. Manufacturers such as ourselves have backlogs of finished goods, work in progress, and (due to space restraints preventing parts production) unused tooling (which needs storing). Only design is unaffected. Logistics and shipping also face delay due to insufficient/delayed vessels, loading/unloading delays caused by port and warehouse congestion as well as crewing challenges.

The ability of factories to progress product to the next stage varies almost on a daily basis as they are hit by another delay due to labour or material shortages, 3rd party delays (i.e. Electronic components and PCBs) or simply, lack of storage space due to shipping delay. All of this outside of their control. This means that some factories will be able to produce product today, whilst others must delay. That maybe reversed tomorrow.
      It all translates to a somewhat unpredictable release pattern of our models in the UK and means that statements made by us with good intention, based on available information are subject to revision due to the changing circumstances at our factories. (Currently the area in which our factories are based is the Chinese 'epicentre' of a new Covid outbreak which is creating many difficulties in simple day to day activities for our Chinese colleagues). The situation changes frequently and information travels slowly.

The result is frequent revision of project planning and release schedules and, although we do not take this view at present, if the situation continues this could eventually slow investment in new projects until 'pipeline' product is delivered and the delays revert to a more normal situation.

To answer the question more concisely, I have received and approved the paint chip samples mentioned previously and due to the combined effects of the above, I am waiting for decorated samples of the revised versions, in common with all our products, as soon as they are shipped to us (i.e. we are certain) and we have checked samples, we will issue an update. With production of the class 59 still scheduled for Q3, we would expect that allowing for shipment time) we will have the 59 in the shops during Q4.

Thanks for your continued patience.
      Andy
      Regards
      Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

159220 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for this thorougher and honestly entertaining/insightful read. I had my suspicious that the retailer was working on incorrect information. The class 59 has been a long developed product and I remain certain on delivery it is going to be a wonderful addition to the modellers board. Nothing seem's unaffected from production in the far east...I am waiting for all sort of things order a while ago.

Originally posted by 159220 View Post
      With a certain retailer (to whom I do not shop with yet they are unavoidable) advising delivery August/September - can one assume production on the class 59 has started?

Can we expect to see pre-production livery samples, I remember before Dapol confirming the DB example was being edited.
      To which retailer is one referring to ??
      Last edited by Andy Dapol; 2 hours ago. Reason: User name removed: Request by 159220

Comment

Working...
      X