OO Class 59 Opening post:

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OO Class 59 Opening post:

After the initial announcement of this model during the collectors club open-day last year, the model was researched and put into design stage. Tooling is complete and we are awaiting the arrival of the 1st shots. Please note: The CAD views shown are amalgamated views which combine differing features across the type.

As announced this model will benefit from the new design used in the class 73 and class 68 chassis but with the addition of an optional smoke generator, which was developed for use in our Black Label range.
    The smoke generator is specifically set-up for diesel operation and is an optional extra, You maybe relieved to know that it is designed as a 'Drop-in' fitment which will be as simple (in fact simpler) to fit as a DCC decoder. Dependent on response, we will consider making a 'factory fitted' version available as well.

The model will also be sound ready and will be available with our exclusive recordings. Please note the CAD views attached are 'Generic' i.e. they represent an amalgam of features found across the variants of the prototype. As always we welcome constructive discussion and specific comments can be posted below.
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

I find the concept of amalgamated design very interesting, I do not know can you tells us more of how then the tooling accommodates different CAD designs? How does the factory know how to 'de-select' the relevant features out of the design?

Currently I would say to me the bogies do not look 'beefy' enough compared to the detailing on them. One of the most striking features of the class is the serious metal heavy bogies. I am sure the 1st EP shall silence me!

I would have a go with the real smoke (clag?), happy to fit it myself, but unsure would I want it factory fitted?

Certainly looking forward to the 1st EP samples, it is looking like from the CADs that the 59 is going to show up the 66, big time! Any self-respecting geologist needs a fleet of 59s to haul his aggregates around the layout! I remember mentioning a 59 would be a good OO model soon as you announced the N, thus very please to see this project happening.

Do you have livery artworks like on other projects? Any chance of Aggregate Industry or Hanson liverys making an appearance? I have the DB Cargo with Schenker branding on pre-order.

Comment

During research we determine the major differences between versions of the locomotive, i.e. air cooler (Finned or serpentine) or Bell/ No-bell. If body shapes differ greatly, then separate cads are produced. We also produce a matrix for each model. This details all major and minor detail changes which we plan for the model and lists them by our product number and cross references to the CAD. This ensures the factory get the detail correct for each version.
      Your point regarding the bogies is noted, along with other details this will be carefully examined on arrival of the E.P. and I'll be sure to post detailed photos here for comment.

Regarding the smoke, if you can fit a decoder, then the smoke generator will be a breeze As we progress I shall also publish artwork here.
      Regards
      Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

A 59 is the only loco missing from my collection. This will close that gap nicely.

Comment

Eagerly looking forward to this release. The real thing was responsible for my interest in railways in the late 80's and the slow decline into poverty once the model railway spending bug got a grip.

Cheers
          Rich

Comment

Will be following this very closely. Probably my favourite Locomotive Class

Comment

I'm speechless... I'd love to fit my own smoke-generator. Cannot really wait to see the EP samples. Any idea when they are due?

Bachmann's Class 66 looks like a toy beside this. Any wonder I won't buy their Class 66, cannot be compared to this in terms of detail and features.
              Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                Joel Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                I think first shots are due very soon and naturally, we will post photos here first.

Looking forward to a certain Class 59 in a certain livery. No prizes for guessing which one. Would be nice to see if the wagons will be produced to compliment the National Power Class 59 in the future.

Comment

Gbrf 59003??

Comment

.. Lol... That is the second one I could be purchasing.... I am hoping 59201 Vale Of York will be done in National Power livery after the one which Dapol plan to do first.

Comment

National Power or ARC.... cannot decide!
                    Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Any ideas when the 1st pre-production models will be available??

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                        JeremiahBunyan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        A few posts up you'll see Joel has said they're due very soon.

Originally posted by Andy Dapol View Post
                      During research we determine the major differences between versions of the locomotive, i.e. air cooler (Finned or serpentine) or Bell/ No-bell. If body shapes differ greatly, then separate cads are produced. We also produce a matrix for each model. This details all major and minor detail changes which we plan for the model and lists them by our product number and cross references to the CAD. This ensures the factory get the detail correct for each version.
                      That is really interesting, I do not know why but I find visualising things like that interesting. A little like having layers in illustrator linked to a matrix, to remove the feature which does or not exist. (Also explained perhaps why 1st EP tooling is not spot on as there has been confusion and something not translated from the clear matrix to the tooling design?

Comment

• Andy Dapol
                        Andy Dapol commented
                        Editing a comment
                        There's a fine line between needing to produce spec. sheets for each variation of a model (maybe even down to an artwork sheet for a simple number change) and being able to produce generics with detail changes in a matrix. Despite the time saving aspect, it varies depending on complexity, simple projects may have spec sheets for instance. Sometimes having many individual spec. sheets can cause confusion as well. When the matrix is based on a tooling type, it basically states that 'this tool must be capable of producing this model with this variation, this variation and that variation'. etc. Each type is a line item on the matrix.
                        Generally its quite clear, but errors can creep in for other reasons. However, if the matrix is incorrect to start with then we defiantly have issues!
                        I tend to build the matrix up from a loco 'survey', photos, descriptive texts and information from those 'who know' this is then my master list for the tooling specification. CADs and especially the 1st EP is then compared to this information.
                        Mostly this is where errors and omissions start, perhaps a crucial photo angle was missed, or a unique variant was not available and has not been documented This forum will be a useful addition to this process as we'll have a wider audience to engage with.

159220 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks for the details Andy. It is a very appealing system of order and sense. I have been meaning to talk to a prof in manufacturing whether they have experience similar and more important is there any studies which go into explaining where the errors from design to manufacturer creep in. As truly interesting this one. Knowing how well a particular methodology is created and followed, it impresses me such detailed work flows are created for model railways. But I certainly see how the investment in research time pays dividends when coming to checking CADs and 1st EP for errors. I have actually never appreciated the work flow and detail which surrounds a 1st EP when looking at one myself and commenting, perhaps that is common among potential customers and explains a lot about reactions to CAD and 1st EP in not having the full matrix before them.

As I am sure you shall agree, as long as our descriptions/observations are perfect, then you can disagree with the results. But the description cannot be questioned.

Anyway, are you any nearer to receiving the 1st EPs of the 59s? Looking forward to seeing. (Though still a little lost in the amount of wagons which can be used, I have found the research into them very interesting)

I can feel the impatience creeping in...Cannot wait to see EPs
                      Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

• Andy Dapol
                        Andy Dapol commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Something UPS shaped this way comes.....
                        Busy schedule for the next 10 days or so, but news will be posted soon.

• JeremiahBunyan
                        JeremiahBunyan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Now you're teasing...! Now I am more impatient...!

159220 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sounds promising. These the first shots or 1st EP samples? The former being a busy schedule modelling one?

Something's telling me that this thread is going to see pictures of the EP samples shortly! Am I right? Just impatient...
                      Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Working...
                    X