Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• atom3624
    replied
    Hi Joel, the 68 is widely considered a 'market leader' in quality in the model railway scene - I know that having had a DRS variant - beautiful model and well done.

DRS do have different liveries which you have covered very well - including the 'early correction' on the Compass scheme which is a lot more pro-active than many would have been and hat's off.

When looking at the issue / distrubution of 'the real ones', not that models aren't real, there are more TPE's than any other region, yet only one model ...

This might have been acceptable in the grand scheme originally had it not been for those "£$"£$!! (meant in a friendly way) from Ireland.

That they are producing the Mk.5 coaching stock in that TPE distinctive livery has probably increased interest in your TPE 68 I would guess at least 3-fold.

Thanks for the reply and I await a re-issue / addition in anticipation - same or different number / name as there's an excellent choice available ...

Al.

Leave a comment:

• DavidInYork
    commented on 's reply
    Unfortunately there don't seem to be any additional new liveries in the pipeline at the moment on the real ones! I would assume that the two Scotrail ones will probably go back to DRS livery (whcih they had when delivered) once the Scotrail contract finishes later in the year.

• Joel Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    Hello Al and welcome. The problem we have, is reaching the batch size for the Class 68. I fear we have satiated all the DRS/Chiltern/Scotrail demand already (we have stock still) and I do not think we will sell a solo run of TPE Class 68's.

I am sure we will produce more TPE Class 68's but not for a while until we feel confident in having a fair stab at selling the other versions of Class 68 which will have to be made alongside.

• atom3624
    replied
    Hello.
    New to this forum, but not that 'new' ... !!
    There have been plenty of DRS variants produced - fantastic model that it is - but only one TPE variant - which courtesy of Accurascale's announcement to produce Mk.5 coaching stock has sold out everywhere!!

Is there any consideration to add to the 68 production, and specifically to TPE-liveried OO-scale variants please?

Thanks,

Al.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Were any updates on the next production run of the 68s made at the recent open day? Would be good to see the green-fade sample?

Leave a comment:

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
    replied
    Thank you very much for all of the replies.

I have just ordered some Kadee Couplings from Hattons. Hopefully they will be here for the weekend so that I can try them out.

I have also just had a quick read of the document about the speedmatching and it does look a bit complicated. This would be something to consider trying if the Kadee Couplings don't work.

Thank you very much for all of the help and I will keep you updated on the progress.

Leave a comment:

• JeremiahBunyan
    commented on 's reply
    http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/3.../prodlist.aspx Here's some Kadee's to fit British coupling pockets

commented on 's reply
    I cannot recommend Kadee couplers enough for multiple working. Not specifically to the 68, but I used to run either two Bachmann 159s or a 159 and a Bachmann 170 in multiple on DC. The Kadee locking mechanism was simple to use and very effective. I do not run multiple on DCC (yet), but I know the Kadee couplings come with NEM sockets which are interchangeable with the coupling on the 68. The coupling provided is hardly prototypical so not sure why that worries you.

http://s386633784.websitehome.co.uk/...s/Kaydee01.jpg

I personally think the level of detail and beauty of the design of the Class 68 model is the best out on the market place and shall represent a benchmark for all new models.

• Jimp
    replied
    I would suggest that the reason the couplings are causing you problems is that you have not speed matched you locos to get them running at the same speed.

Check this out ttps://tonystrains.com/locomotive-speed-matching-made-easy/

hope this helps

Leave a comment:

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Andy,

Thank you very much for the reply and the advice.

Firstly the potential issue about the locos been a mixture of DCC Fitted and DCC Sound is not a problem because all of the six that I have are all DCC Fitted. None have DCC Sound.

I have just looked in the instruction booklet for the NCE DCC Powercab Controller that I have and I can't find anything about how to increase or decrease the acceleration and deceleration of locos.

I have been checking the locos regularly and the coupling arms have been pushed as far into the loco that they will go but they have still been coming off completely. The height of the couplings is also the same.

I don't really want to change the couplings to the knuckle type couplings on the 68s because then it is going to mean that I have to run specific locos together all of the time and realistically this isn't prototypical. It would also mean that the locos would always have to remain in the same order if I modified one coupling on each loco to enable them to have the knuckle type couplings in the middle when the locos are running together as a consist, in order to leave one NEM coupling on each loco to couple up to normal wagons with NEM couplings.

I'm really not sure what to do now because I have six Class 68s, that at present I can't run together and this is why I bought six of them. I also can't run at the moment in top and tail formation. I have tried to do this on several occasions now and to no avail. I have been used one or three of the Bachmann Nuclear Flask FNA wagons. When on the curves/corners either the rear coupling of the first 68 will fall off completely or the front coupling of the second 68 will fall off completely. So it's not as if I can run them in top and tail mode either.

When I say the couplings fall off, I mean all parts of the coupling including the NEM part with the hook and the actual arm from underneath the loco. This then derails the loco or wagons or both.

Thank you very much for all of the help so far.

Have you got any further advice?

Thank you very much in advance.

• Andy Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    Hi, @DRS Crewe On A Mission,
    I've spent some time today running sets of 2 & 3 locomotives around my test track (R2 curves & R1 set-track turnouts). Initially I could not re-crate this using DC or DCC. However, if, using DCC I decreased the acceleration and/or increased the breaking delay of a decoder (either making one model significantly faster/slower than the other during acceleration or braking) then I found I could recreate this on a curve.
    If different makes of decoder or a mixture of one sound and one non-sound equipped loco are double-headed then this could occur, as the coupling will ride-up and over the other. This is not unusual with the hook and loop type couplings.

The solution would be to check speed matching of DCC controlled locos is equal for double headed models, ensure both couplings are fitted (including the arm) fully into the socket, making the coupling heights equal. Also check that the coupling mech. is not loose on either loco, as this could cause 'coupling droop', something that would accentuate this issue.

If you are intending to double-head often, a knuckle coupling is better suited to push-pull pressures as it is less prone to overriding, (such as the kay-dee, which can be found with an NEM fitting).

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Andy,

Hope you are well?

I have just messaged you regarding the OO Gauge Class 68s.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Andy,

Thank you very much for the reply. I really appreciate it.

For most of my curves I am using the Hornby R607 Double Curve 2nd Radius curves and Hornby R609 Double Curve 3rd Radius curves.

However I am also using a couple of smaller radius curves alongside the above two.

On my corners I have the curved track and then one or two pieces of straight track and then curves again.

• Andy Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    Hi. Good to hear you are pleased overall with your models.
    The issue you describe with the couplings is not one which we came across during testing. I shall run some production models on our layout here and let you know what I find. I am out most days this week, so please bear with me.
    In the meantime could you let me know what is the radius of your curves, do you have super-elevation and/or transition curves?

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
    replied
    Hi Dapol, Andy Dapol Joel Dapol ,

I wonder if you could help me please? I'm really pleased with the six OO Gauge Class 68s that I have bought from the first batch. Thank you so much for producing such amazing models.

However I have one problem which is the couplings. I am wanting to run two or more Class 68s coupled together but when I try and do so the couplings get fastened onto each other when they are going around the curves/corners of the layout which causes the locos to become fastened to each other, one or both couplings to fall off and either one of both of the locos to derail.

Have you got any advice as to how this problem could be solved?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X