No announcement yet.

Class 68 Update - Production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No one has left the company in nearly 12 months.

Pertinent information is posted on the Dapol Digest relating to our projects, with the class 68 project information updated just this morning for those that are interested.
    Regards
    Neil

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Well I can't wait for the 68 to hit the uk my exhibition layout is ready and waiting

Comment

• Neil Dapol
        Neil Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Not long to go now.....

Originally posted by srihaggis View Post
      Looking forward to receiving mine. Ordered a scotrail version, though I don't have anything for it to run with! Make us some decent MK2s please :-)
      I am all ready! it is a 50:50 mix of mainline blue to first blue for those asking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_563.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	4692

Edit: Did a fleet of these prematurely last year for the Chiltern 68 (virgin silver and DBS grey):

Click image for larger version

Name:	msg-22366-0-09162100-1453856117.jpg
Views:	1083
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	4730
      Last edited by 159220; 10 February 2017, 12:03. Reason: Thought to show of the Chiltern Mk3.

Comment

• DavidInYork
        DavidInYork commented
        Editing a comment
        You need three more

159220 commented
        Editing a comment
        I have got that

Have they arrived in the UK yet?

Comment

Hattons appear to have their DCC ready models in stock now.

Comment

Just looking at the pictures of them on the Hattons website. Do the Chiltern-livery ones have the orange multiple-working socket above the bufferbeam? I can't see it in the photos, and if missing this would be a notable omission as it's very obvious on the locos which are fitted with it (the six in Chiltern livery, plus 68008 and 68009).

Comment

• woodbury22uk
          woodbury22uk commented
          Editing a comment
          Some close up photos here which will possibly answer your question:-
          http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/ind...-68/?p=2618811
          Last edited by woodbury22uk; 15 February 2017, 19:56.

• DavidInYork
          DavidInYork commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks - unfortunately it needs a front-on (or close to) photo of one in Chiltern livery to be able to see, and there doesn't appear to be one on that page.

For anyone who doesn't know which socket I'm talking about, see this photo:
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britis...ne_service.JPG
          It's the large orange socket above the buffer beam, between the coupler and the ETS cable receptable (which is also orange). It's very obvious when you see one of the real locos, and is present on both ends of locos 68008 to 68015.
          Last edited by DavidInYork; 15 February 2017, 20:31.

Looking for some help with my class 68. DCC ready.

Very pleased with the model, just looking for some guidance on removing the Exhaust moulding, to access the Function switches.
        Im a little reluctant to apply too much pressure, and damage the model.It seems very reluctant to separate.

Is it just the small silver exhaust, or the larger roof section you remove.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          The small silver exhaust port is removable. It's a bit stiff first time as the new paint has formed a partial seal. Ease it off carefully and from then on it will be a lot easier.

Hmmm....

Unfortunately it looks as though Dapol took absolutely zero notice of much of the feedback regarding nameplates. The result: nameplates look too large and chunky, and worse still are glued on at bizarre angles and also with added glue splurged around the sides.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          To my knowledge the plates were made to dimensions given by DRS and yes I can see that the above is bit off straight and may have a bit of glue over, which is a bit of a let down. However, we have checked many of the models delivered and found them all to be completely satisfactory. The performance of the model is also outstanding as is the quality of the paintwork and finish. I would urge you to look at our customers websites etc where the reception to the model has been overwhelmingly positive. If you are unhappy with your models purchased pictured above you can return them for exchange?

Perhaps with respect to plates, in future we may print the plates rather than fit an etch. This is far more controllable if there are thousands of models to be produced and these can be say 5% undersized. Modellers can then purchase their own after market parts here in the UK to fit over (if desired). It is my view that UK manufactured plates are some of the best you can get anywhere and this is something still of a weakness (in my experience) in the suppliers we are aware of in the Far East.

Just as an add in, we do listen to feedback and appreciate it immensely and much has already proved invaluable. However, not all feedback we have received has found to be 100% accurate and ultimately it is the project managers final say on the way a model is completed as they alone are in possession of all the information.

Thanks again for your feedback
          Last edited by Joel Dapol; 16 February 2017, 09:24. Reason: addition

• YesTor
          YesTor commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Joel Dapol
          Hmmm....

Perhaps with respect to plates, in future we may print the plates rather than fit an etch. This is far more controllable if there are thousands of models to be produced and these can be say 5% undersized

Just as an add in, we do listen to feedback
          Errrrm, with all due respect you are 'preaching to the converted', as this is exactly what people were pointing out months ago! I'd much rather glue my own plates on, that way I can be sure they are on straight. And I can also be certain that I'm using plates that aren't oversize and chunky.

For a model that weighs in at circa £134, nameplates that look as though they have been glued on by a 5 year old is quite frankly ridiculous and even more annoying as it is also perfectly avoidable. So now I have to pries off these crooked and oversize efforts and risk damage to the paintwork and printing. Unimpressed.

With regard to quality of nameplates, I'd advise to check some of Shawplan's more recent plates, they are simply miles ahead of the plates used here.

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks again for your comments. The problem we have is that for every person who wants to fit a nameplate there is another who does not. I have purchased plates from Shawplan and agree that the quality is unparalleled but we have to cater for all tastes and unfortunately some people do not want to fit plates. This is feedback we received from our Western release where Shawplan plates were included.

Truly staggered at the response from Dapol, I paraphrase: "the plates are a 'Bit' squint and a 'Bit' too much glue and a 'Bit' of a let down, but Hey Mr Customer, the model runs great so you should be grateful".

How such a communication can be made is unbelievable. In a previous life I worked on some high level press releases for some high profile organisations and I'm well versed in corporate media spin but come on, this is a joke.

It harks back to the 1970's at Aston Martin, "yes, we know the doors are a bit off centre and there are gaps in the body-work, but hey, it's an Aston Martin, you should be grateful"

This is the most significant model rail release for a long time - the first new model of a current - still being built - prototype. The nameplate is probably the first thing people look at. Why do you think we bother with names!.

To have a model with such glaring errors to its finish, and pass it off as just being a Bit of a problem. I'm lost for words. This has all the makings of a PR disaster and I would respectfully suggest that senior managers at the firm need to start looking at a very quick response and solution.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi I am afraid in my view you are paraphrasing me inaccurately. I acknowledged the problem of the model of which pictures were shown and am sorry that the OP had received this. All I am saying and for large batches of models some problems will be inevitable and will slip through, as we cannot check every individual model. At no point did I mention poor standards are acceptable and in fact suggested to the original poster whose models where shown that he should return them for exchange. Perhaps on reflection I could have worded it better.

Its been pointed out on RMweb and now I see it, I may as well mention it here as it is evident on the photos posted in the digest, but one side of the loco has seemed to been subject to having the print done in such a way, that the print has been shifted over to one side, leaving one side quite bare on one end of the cab and quite full on the other...I'm still itching to get my hands on one as it has appeared to be an excellent loco.

Ben

Comment

@woodbury22uk DavidInYork
          I think this is the photo you are looking for?
          As you can see the socket you refer to was not present on the prototype until later. We will model this on an appropriate future model along with other later modifications (grabrail changes, horn guards, nameplate additions etc. etc.)
          Last edited by Andy Dapol; 16 February 2017, 13:53. Reason: added future additions
          Regards
          Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Dapol View Post
            @woodbury22uk DavidInYork
            I think this is the photo you are looking for?
            As you can see the socket you refer to was not present on the prototype until later. We will model this on an appropriate future model along with other later modifications (grabrail changes, horn guards, nameplate additions etc. etc.)
            The socket appeared pretty soon after they were delivered, and before they entered use with Chiltern (they wouldn't work wwith the DVTs without it) - they pretty much only ran in testing without it. Have to say that I think it's pretty poor omitting it, given that it's really visible and yet you have done the underframe variations which are not noticeable unless you look closely.

Comment

Just collected 005 and 010, do I open them? - before even getting the box home - I see the comments on facebook, that the light blue swoosh is out of line and not touching the one cab side as detailed above by Ben. Had I not seen the comments I might not have picked it up for a while, but seeing this even before I've opened them that's a disappointment, and I've yet to take delivery of 68001, which I see from the DRS website also has the same issue.

Comment

• dazc
                dazc commented
                Editing a comment
                08guy Your flippant comment is most useful.

I do like the model in the main and they are seriously one of the best ever produced, however I was stating that I'm a little disappointed (or even disheartened) that there is an noticeable error. Why can't I be?

This potentially detracts from what is one of the best models produced, and far out does many other manufacturers offerings. I can't un read what I've seen elsewhere and erase that knowledge. I know its there, yes I can send the 2 DRS ones back, but I've also waited in as much anticipation as others.

Yes its is a model but I'm not a modeller by definition, Noun - modeller - a person who creates models. That's Dapols business.
                Last edited by dazc; 16 February 2017, 19:28.

• dazc
                dazc commented
                Editing a comment
                to be honest Ben I have no specific expectations of Dapol, they have spent much time, and effort in creating what is essentially a superb model. its just that I know it there. Mine came from Hattons today and I am awaiting the one from DRS, which I'm not sure when it will arrive.

• dazc
                dazc commented
                Editing a comment
                In an ideal world, yes I would vote with my wallet. However, there has been such demand for the DRS liveried model by stockists, waiting to see how good they were and then decide was potentially not an option.

I don't read any other modellers forums, as I'm usually not particularly interested such critique, I do my own thing. However I actually picked the observation up from a railway related facebook page, which then I thought oh great is that an issue with just one release or all of them, I then see its potentially 001, 002 and 005. I am not a rivet counter either.

I collect only '00' gauge modern image models so to date I've only brought 1 Dapol product - class 73 which I was more than happy with. I never looked for any discrepancies, either against photographs, on any forums, or magazine articles. Ignorance is bliss!

I'm more than happy also to see what Dapols thoughts are as well. Yes I'd expect that there could be some disappointment from their position, especially after all the time, effort and money invested in delivering what is in reality the best overall modern image model for many years.

Originally posted by DavidInYork View Post

The socket appeared pretty soon after they were delivered, and before they entered use with Chiltern (they wouldn't work wwith the DVTs without it) - they pretty much only ran in testing without it. Have to say that I think it's pretty poor omitting it, given that it's really visible and yet you have done the underframe variations which are not noticeable unless you look closely.
              Here are a few of my photos:-
              68011 26.8.14 WITHOUT 68010 1.10.14 WITH and 68008 23.10.14 WITH.
              Regards Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by Derningtona View Post

Here are a few of my photos:-
                68011 26.8.14 WITHOUT 68010 1.10.14 WITH and 68008 23.10.14 WITH.
                Regards Patrick
                Yes, during their initial testing and running-in. DRS often used the Network Rail infrastructure trains for that, as shown in in a couple of your pictures.

It depends how important you consider accuracy, but the fact remains that as produced the models are technically only correct for that initial testing and running-in period. They are not suitable for any of the period when in use with Chiltern, as the sockets were present before they started working for Chiltern, and had to be for them to be able to work with the DVTs.

I've ordered one of them anyway - I wonder whether any third-party supplier will produce the sockets?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                  Joel Dapol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I can appreciate this is disappointing in that we are not producing the model you wish at this time. I think the problem is that models were planned quite early before these changes took place. As Andy has said, we will be producing other variants in the future which will include the extra socket, so it may be worth just hanging on until then.

• JeremiahBunyan
                  JeremiahBunyan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Can always ask someone to design it and get it 3D printed if it bothers you so much...rather than wait for a 3rd party to make it.

159220 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think the opposite. I think it is brilliant that Dapol and particularly Andy Dapol have gone to such detailed lengths to model initially the pre-Chiltern AAR operation when they were tested and used on a vast range of DRS services. We then shall likely see in future batches the AAR sockets fitted but then the handle bars removed. You might recall they were removed on H&S order of DB Arriva Chiltern. Later on, new, 3 bolt handle bars were fitted.

Dapol are not alone in producing prototypes in the early stages of UK network operation. The Hornby Class 800 comes straight to mind with both T2 and T4 modeled as in UK acceptance testing liveries and formats. T4 aka 800004 shall not be introduced before the model. Likely 800006-011 or 012 shall be first. But the Hornby 800 is a sell out!

Until Oxford Rail produces the Rail Services Mk3 plug door coaches and Hornby a Mk3 DVT. The Chiltern 68 for us modellers shall remain on DRS stone services and acceptance testing.
              Working...
              X