No announcement yet.

Class 68 Update - Production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I ask for clarification about the DCC and DC capabilities of this model? There seems to be no clear instructions from dapol on how this should work.
    I have been fortunate in finding a conversation on RM web, but this only echos the lack of assistance from dapol. From the little information my dealer has, it seems that unless I use a specific decoder, which is apparently impossible to purchase then the model will not work.

I discussed this with a large mail order trader and they told me that they could not guarantee the correct functioning of any dapol product!
    Given the electrical faults present and dapols confusion about anything electrical in the class 73, the terrier and the class 08 I have decided to wait for owner feedback before I spend further money.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
      Joel Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      Does post #14 in this thread help?

Not at all. Its all over my head. My traders DCC expert says its meaningless

Comment

Hi
      the 21pin decoder wii work with class 68 put if you want all the light to work you wil need 21pin mtu hope this helps

Comment

• pegleg90
        pegleg90 commented
        Editing a comment
        I.e. A 21 pin 6 function decoder like the ones mentioned by AndyDapol previously- correct?

• Joel Dapol
        Joel Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        That's correct for all lights to be controlled under DCC you need a 6 function MTC designated 21 pin decoder. The sound version supplied by Dapol will have all this functionality as standard. If you want to choose an alternative MTC 21 pin decoder then the amount of control you have will depend on how many functions your selected decoder has. The incremental control as the function number increases was listed by Andy in post #14. I hope that helps from a relatively non tech Dapol member of staff :-)

MTC or MTU? its confused.
      Why use sucha rare decoder anyway? why can't I use any decoder like in all my other models and just have it work? Is it true this another misteak because of poor quality control of cost cutting like before?

The class 08 needs a special decoder because of a wiring error (see Hornby mag for a fix) the same with the terrier (again Hornby mag) and even mentioning the class 73 gets posts deleted!

Comment

• peteb
        peteb commented
        Editing a comment
        Just to clarify the point, as nobody else seems to have responded - 21 pin MTC decoders are not rare - MTC is the spec of the connector - it is not a manufacturer. Most decoder manufacturers supplying to the UK include 21 pin MTC versions in their range.

It is a fact of life that if Dapol put more capabilities in to the loco, such as halo lights and separately switchable head and tail lights, you will need a decoder with more functions to drive them all.

So if you use a cheap 21 pin MTC decoder with less functions, you will probably be able to drive the basic lights on and off, but not the new clever features like the halo lights. An example of a 21 pin MTC decoder with 6 functions (front/rear light plus 4 AUX functions) is the ESU Lokpilot 4, which I have seen advertised between £20 and £25. As a good quality back EMF decoder, I would expect better slow speed control than the cheap £12 decoders as well. I am sure there are many other suitable decoders by other manufacturers out there.

You could use a non 21 pin MTC decoder, with just wires instead of the connector, but you would have to be prepared to solder the wires to all the right places on the Dapol circuit board. Probably much easier to buy the right decoder! :-)

Regards,

Pete

Sorry i meant 21 pin MTC

Comment

Hi
        you can buy the the 21 pin MTC. you can buy them for about 38.00 pounds.

Comment

Will any of the dapol team on this forum be at the London show? Also what is the story like with the 68's, are they near england?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
            Joel Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, we will all be at Ally Pally for at least one day (most both days). The Class 68's are about half way here now and should be here in a couple of weeks.

Joel, Andy. Thanks for engaging with us, this is a really helpful forum.

Could you clarify a point on the DDC Fitted (non-sound) versions? In post #14 Andy said "Dapol will fit a full function decoder and the factory fitted sound decoder will also operate all functions." and at #33.2 Joel said "for all lights to be controlled under DCC you need a 6 function MTC designated 21 pin decoder. The sound version supplied by Dapol will have all this functionality as standard"

Will the DDC fitted (non-sound) version be fitted with the 6 function decoders suitable to control the halo lights?

Many thanks

Sam

Comment

• Joel Dapol
            Joel Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            I can now confirm that the DCC fitted version will have a 6 function decoder and will operate all the designed functions. My apologies for the delay but since setting the price of the model, decoders have gone up considerably due to currency fluctuations etc, so some negotiation was required with the suppliers to enable us to maintain the advertised price for the DCC fitted versions.

• pegleg90
            pegleg90 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for confirming Joel, clad to hear it! Just changed my pre-order back to DCC Fitted now from DCC Ready! Really looking forward to these!

• sdw7300
            sdw7300 commented
            Editing a comment
            Joel - Many thanks for confirming this. Much appreciated. Really looking forward to mine arriving!

But whyam I forced to spend another £40.00? jjust so I run this train? all my other decoders cost £12.00 and work fine. that will be £200 for a model without any sounds
          other models dont confidence me much so I shall leave it to others who don't need to be careful with cash to share the mistakes on this model.

Comment

Hi
            you can use 12.00 pound decoder and it wil work put if you want all lights to work then you will need 21 pin mtc just the 21 pin decoder would give you front light back light and cab light hope this help

Comment

Well if the ship is sailing as planned hopefully we who have all pre-ordered a 68 should have them on our layouts by the end of the month

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                JeremiahBunyan commented
                Editing a comment
                And then the N gauge one goes in....

One thing is there going to be etched disc brake inserts in the wheels on the model as that's one thing that is noticeable on the real thing wasn't really easy to see on the last sample model pictures

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                JeremiahBunyan commented
                Editing a comment
                A quick look at the pictures of the EP should be able to give you an answer.

You can see in this picture they are really visible

Comment

The EPs look alright to me. Note, however, that the silver soon looked black in service!

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                JeremiahBunyan commented
                Editing a comment
                I think one of those dark weathered metal washes or weathering powders will do the trick for those who want to weather it.

Any more recent news on their ETA? Quite excited for the 68!!!

Comment

• Spirit of the lakes
                Spirit of the lakes commented
                Editing a comment
                It has all gone a bit quiet while they are on the boat

• Neil Dapol
                Neil Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                An announcement will be made when they arrive and start to be distributed to stockists. Currently they are in transit.
            Working...
            X