Class 68 Update - Production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class 68 Update - Production

Production and factory QC has been underway this week and continuesinto next. The first 2 of each livery have been shipped to me today for final checks. I anticipate arrival of these later next week (W/C 12/12/16) and of course I will post photos in due course). Firm details of UK product arrival dates will be published once the relevant bookings have been made.
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

I shall be frank, this is getting all very exciting! Hopefully the DRS livery shall have the green fade centred on both sides The sample of 68002 at Warley was astonishing.

Comment

This is getting really exciting, each picture I see of the model makes it look even more appealing

Comment

Fantastic news! I am really looking forward to these models arriving now.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the final photos of the three liveries.

Comment

good news for our OO friends and does mean a lovely miniaturisation is getting nearer and bank account will be black hole !
          Last edited by robert shrives; 10 December 2016, 20:06. Reason: spething error

Comment

excellent news, really cannot wait to see the photos!

Comment

I'm gonna be an absolute pain but if you didn't know, 68015 has recently been named 'oxford flyer'.

Comment

• ben68009
                ben68009 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah that's what I meant, thanks for the correction buddy

• Joel Dapol
                Joel Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes we are aware but a bit late in the process for us to anything about it I am afraid, so we will stick to the unnamed version. I am sure nameplates will soon be available for customers who want to model the bang up to date variant.

159220 commented
                Editing a comment
                Bizarre choice of name, I understand the new Solent Flyer and Island Flyer 12000TD hovercraft as they do fly. Anyway.

Would I still stand correct [email protected] that 68010 shall be modeled *without* handrails and 68014 *with* handrails to capture the legitimate running differences since introduction? Chiltern requested for the handrails associate with the noses (access to the DRS multiworking cables) to be removed as they fail on a safety case. Recently, a new design has been introduced and we now see a three-bolt handrail as opposed to the original single-bolt.

No doubt once the production samples are received (I would imagine Christmas post is delaying them unless they have arrived awaiting photography?) we can see the detailed difference first hand to adjust our pre-orders if necessary? Really really really hope the green fade has been centralised on both sides of the DRS livery. I have got 002 and 014, as well as my intention to get 001 once available. Then wait for higher DRS numbers in batch two.

Joel: I read in the latest issue of Rail Express that the 68's are expected for release this week or next is there any truth in this? I thought it may be a little premature on there part but thought I'd ask the guys in the know keep up the great work, Tom.

Comment

• Spirit of the lakes
                Spirit of the lakes commented
                Editing a comment
                I think that may be a little rail express getting a little premature I have read everywhere that delivery is Jan/Feb 2017

• ben68009
                ben68009 commented
                Editing a comment
                yeah rail express seem to think that they are all going to be here before the 25th

• Andy Dapol
                Andy Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                To be fair to Rail Express, I did talk with Simon at Warley and stated (in all good faith) that we were trying hard to get them delivered before Christmas, press deadlines unfortunately make updates difficult . The shear volume of freight traffic, coupled with large parts of the world slowing for Christmas can cause delays and this has always been a wildcard in our expected delivery plans. I can confirm that the models are scheduled to arrive early January.

I thought that would be the case considering we haven't even seen the final production models yet. Many thanks for your response.

Comment

Hi all,

I just have a few questions regarding the DRS Limited Edition 68001.

Firstly are any of these models going to be DCC Fitted?

If not and they are just going to be sold as standard models without a DCC Decoder Fitted then where can I buy a DCC Decoder for it which is going to be the same as the DCC Decoders fitted to the other six Class 68s?

Thank you very much in advance.

I have just pre-ordered 68002, 005, 006, 007, 010 and 014 all as DCC Fitted models from Ehattons. I am really looking forward to these arriving now.

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

Comment

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
                  DRS Crewe On A Mission commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Andy Dapol if I was to buy a model of 68001 without a DCC Decoder Fitted could I buy a Gaugemaster DCC27 DCC Decoder?

Is that the DCC Decoder fitted to the six standard models? (002, 005, 006, 007, 010 and 014).

Does the Gaugemaster DCC27 DCC Decoder allow all light functions (head, tail and cab) lights to be operated and operate all six functions?

Thank you very much in advance.
                  Last edited by DRS Crewe On A Mission; 23 December 2016, 18:39.

• Andy Dapol
                  Andy Dapol commented
                  Editing a comment
                  SImply speaking, yes.
                  The DCC27 is a four function decoder so you would have the option of independent front and rear lighting (i.e. the white and red lamps can be turned of at whichever end is coupled to the train). You would not however be able to control the Halo lamps, which would be permanently off.
                  With this decoder (out of the box settings) F0 is number 1 end red/white lamps, F1 = #2 end white, F3 = #2 end red. Using function mapping this could be setup so F1 only controls both white & red lamps directionally.
                  This choice of lighting operation allows for push-pull operation, where the end of the loco not coupled to the train maybe showing white or red depending on direction, whilst the coupled end lamps are all off.
                  The above is also configurable using the locomotives switches.

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
                  DRS Crewe On A Mission commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you very much for letting me know Andy Dapol. It's very much appreciated.

So I can operate the loco, head, tail, cab and halo lighting with the DCC27 Decoder fitted to the six standard models and I will buy another to fit into 68001 when I hopefully acquire that one.

Thank you very much for letting me know. I'm really looking forward to them arriving.

Any pics of the preliminary models that arrived last week?

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                  JeremiahBunyan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I thought Andy said they were only sent to him that day, implying they left the factory and not reached his desk.

yeah but given Andy said he anticipated them on the WC 12th of this month, I thought they may have arrived already...

Comment

Production samples arrived last week as expected, and the first models off the line started to be packed on Wednesday (21st) .
                  A minor amendment was required before production (the bases of the roof fans were black instead of silver). We now expect arrival early January, I will confirm once I know exact dates.

In the meantime, here are some photos:
                  Regards
                  Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                    JeremiahBunyan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They look brilliant. Cannot wait for the N gauge version.

159220 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Superb! Even the roof fans have come silver in the end (on the DRS at least for now).
                    It has been a joy to watch (and comment) on this project for the last 18 months or more, seeing the final product (I hope) shows how beneficial it is to a manufacturer to involve its customers. I can see myself buying many more over future batches.

(I see plans to model with/without nose hand-rails has been dropped on the Chiltern examples?)

Some clarification regarding DCC Decoders would be useful.
                  The model offers control of the directional lamps (head/tail) Cab lights and halo lamps. Halo lamps are used prototypically when stationary. This causes a problem as to offer full functionality we required more functions than are available via a plug-in decoder (of any plug standard). Additionally, not every customer will wish to install a 6 function decoder, so we have designed the main board to accept any 21 pin DCC decoder, however due to the number of physical functions, better results can be obtained depending on the decoder used.
                  In addition, there are multiple standards of 21-pin socket, this only effects 5 and six function decoders, if you fit one of these then it must be of the 21-pin MTC type (i.e. Loksound, TCS X suffix, Zimo D suffix) Dapol will fit a full function decoder and the factory fitted sound decoder will also operate all functions.

DC/Analogue operation: Out of the box the model will operate on DC with directional lighting and cab lights. The two most often used switches are accessible by un-clipping the exhaust,
                  DCC 2 function decoder: As DC/Analogue operation (above) but of course, lighting can be switched on/off using your DCC controller (F0).
                  DCC 4 function decoder: will control front/rear lights independently (useful for push-pull workings)
                  DCC 5 function decoder: As above, plus front halo lamps
                  DCC 6 function decoder: As above, plus rear halo lamps

Please note: Out of the box standard settings for DCC decoders map each function output (other than front/rear lamps) to additional function keys on your handset (i.e. F1, F2, F3 etc.) If you supply four own DCC decoder then you may need to change some CVs in order to function map the locomotive functions to the desired key on your DCC controller, this will enable for example front lamps to be controlled on/off by F0 and rear lamps on/off by F1 and to operate directionally.

Function mapping will not be required for factory fitted models.

I have attached the class 68 information sheets which detail this subject further.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Andy Dapol; 23 December 2016, 22:26.
                  Regards
                  Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• pegleg90
                    pegleg90 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the update and information, just to confirm (post Christmas works do head on atm), the DCC decoders factory fitted will operate all 6 functions?

The links don't seem to be loading any documents?

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year. Really looking forward to these now! cannot wait.

Regards
                    Alistair.

• Andy Dapol
                    Andy Dapol commented
                    Editing a comment
                    For some obscure reason the .PDF files do not seem to open in anything other than firefox.
                    I have reformatted to .JPG as a quick fix for now!

• robf
                    robf commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm a bit of a technophobe when it comes to decoder mapping. I've used a TCS 1344 EU621 21 Pin 6 Function Decoder. Currently I can independently control the lights on the end with the coupling via F1 and F2 but not at the cowling end, the headlights and tail lights are just directional. What do I need to do to independently control the headlights, halo etc on the detailed end? Thanks.

Thank you very much for the final photos of the first seven Class 68s. They look fantastic and I can't wait for them to arrive.

Also a very big thank you and well done to everyone at Dapol for producing this fantastic model.

I can't wait for them to arrive.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Comment

Working...
                  X