Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class 68 Update - Final DRS livery photos.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
    commented on 's reply
    Hi Andy,

Thank you very much for letting me know. It's very much appreciated.

So what details would you be publishing? Would this be how to adjust the speed of non sound locos to run at nearly the same speed as sound locos or how to adjust the speed of sound locos to run at near enough the speed of non sound locos?

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind Regards,

Danny.

• Andy Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, update now published in the Blog.

• Andy Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    Don't forget though that any settings published may vary dependent on the decoders used (both sound & non sound) so anything I publish would only be for our non-sound decoder. If anyone calculates settings once they have the model for different decoders, please publish here for the greater good.

Speed matching and other settings is covered on the DCC supplies 'Decoder Programming and setup class' If there is sufficient interest then perhaps a special Class 68 focused course could be run in the New Year? More info here: http://www.dccsupplies.com/cat-124b5...-and-setup.htm
    Last edited by Andy Dapol; 9 December 2016, 12:37. Reason: additional info

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you very much for letting me know Andy. It's very much appreciated.

If you have time and/or are able to would you be able to do some research into the CV settings and find out how I and probably others can run sound and non sound locos within the same consist/convoy? If you are able to find out how to match sound and no sound locos to near enough the same speed when running in a consist please could you put the details of how to do this on here?

Or if anyone else could put the details of how to do this on here it would be very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Danny.

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you very much for letting me know.

I do know that I have asked the question before but I just wanted to ask again to have clarification so that I can decide which locos I would like buy DCC Fitted and which ones I would like to have DCC Sound Fitted.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Danny.

• Andy Dapol
    replied
    Hi, DRS Crewe On A Mission this issue is not unique to the class 68 or even to Dapol models, it's an issue that has been about since I started with DCC sound 10 years ago.
    I'll write a little background on the issue:
    A sound decoder emulates the sounds that a loco makes when operating. Some of these sounds result in a delay before moving or stopping for instance brake applications or release. Additionally a sound decoder has acceleration and deceleration delays built in to allow the correct operating sounds a reasonable time to complete, often there is a compromise between realistic operation and the near 'instant' (in railway terms at least) response of a non-sound decoder or DC operation. This is due to the fact that we are [mostly] not fortunate enough to have a scale mile or two to accelerate and decelerate in!

This can be mitigated in two ways, the sound decoder can have its inbuilt delays reduced or removed by changing its configuration (CVs), or, alternately the non-sound decoder can have delays introduced (again by CVs) this would be my personal choice. A degree of trial and error in setting the decoder up is inevitable, since not only acceleration/ deceleration needs to be accounted for, but also other items such as brake release. It would be great if manufacturers would add additional CVs to act as delay timers for this! However, it is possible to setup your non-sound decoder such as it operates fairly closely the performance of your sound fitted loco, other fine tuning can be accomplished by tweaking the sound decoder as well.

In short, the non-sound decoder factory fitted is not planned to be setup in this way as we do not know if it will be MU'd with our sound fitted locos or others (since each will have differing delays). I will take under advisement looking into establishing CVs suitable, but must say it is workload dependent, so if anyone else would like to volunteer, please feel free to publish
    Last edited by Andy Dapol; 9 December 2016, 12:34.

Leave a comment:

• JeremiahBunyan
    commented on 's reply
    The answer to your question is posted where you asked the question before IIRC. So trawl through all the Class 68 threads, I think there's 2-3 of them.

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
    replied
    Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could help me please? I think I have asked this question before but I am still unsure.

Are the standard DCC Fitted Class 68s going to run at a different speed to the DCC Sound Fitted Class 68s?

It's just that I am looking at buying some standard decoder fitted and some sound decoder fitted examples but will they be able to run together in consists?

The reason I ask is because I bought the five DRS & NB ViTrains Class 47s at the end of 2014. Four of them were DCC Fitted and one of them was DCC Sound Fitted. I couldn't run the DCC Sound Fitted loco with the four in consists because of the speed difference. The DCC Sound loco would take much longer to stop meaning that it would jolt into the other DCC Fitted locos in the consist.

Will this be the same case with the Dapol Class 68s when running consists with a combination of sound and non sound fitted examples?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• ben68009
    replied
    Are they in production yet, I would quite like to have them here before xmas because I really wanna see the tug a Tesco train around the tree

Leave a comment:

• the norfolkman
    replied
    Hi Andy, many thanks for the above reply very informative and helpful as always.
    Will now just sit back and await the new arrivals through the post early next year

Leave a comment:

• Andy Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    Hi, Thanks for your comments. The model has a standard 21 pin MTC type connector fitted.
    Its extremely easy to fit a decoder at any point. Regarding the halo lamps; these do not function under DC as there is no control, it is possible to switch the cab and main lights however.
    If a DCC decoder with 2 functions is fitted, then the lighting can be controlled (on/off) and operates directionally Switches permit turning off rear lights.
    A 4 function decoder permits front and rear lighting independent control (i.e. from the DCC handset, no need for switches) and a 6 function decoder adds halo lamp control.

• the norfolkman
    replied
    Hi All, I would like to congratulate all at Dapol on what certainly looks like an out standing release and would agree with other comments above.
    This has been a very complex livery to produce and now looks very impressive, and I look forward to supporting future batches to build variation in my
    68 fleet. Dapol are to be congratulated also on the fact that they have included such differences as the fuel tank size, and not just taken the easier route
    of not covering the relatively small batch with the smaller tank. I do just have a couple of questions, A. for those of us with the model in non factory fitted mode
    will it be possible to buy sound chips for a later upgrade ? and B. I understand the halo lights will only work in dcc fitted mode will this be the case for an upgraded
    loco once a chip is fitted to it or would this require further work ? Once again many thanks to Dapol for producing this loco and also more importantly taking the time
    to get it wright, I now look forward to the release and future models fingers crossed for 73/9's please.

Leave a comment:

• Andy Dapol
    commented on 's reply
    More changes than you may expect: Fuel tanks, 'battery' boxes, land-line connector, grab handles (with, without, reinforced), 'tea strainers' in front of horns etc. to name a few. That's without considering such thinks as the retro-fit of MU connectors to the earlier examples of the fleet.
    The next release will feature some of these changes as appropriate for the time that is being modelled. - At the moment there is no final list of what is to be produced since there maybe livery changes that we could model. The final list will be released around 1st quarter next year.

• Jack
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks mate. I remember seeing photos in a different thread on here about the 2 different fuel tanks. My hoping is that if they're available as spares (doubt it, but fingers crossed), they'll be exchangeable.

• Jack
    commented on 's reply
    A valid point there. I've always been under the impression all the smaller tanks got extended?
Working...
X