Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class 68 Update - Final DRS livery photos.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, DRS Crewe On A Mission this issue is not unique to the class 68 or even to Dapol models, it's an issue that has been about since I started with DCC sound 10 years ago.
    I'll write a little background on the issue:
    A sound decoder emulates the sounds that a loco makes when operating. Some of these sounds result in a delay before moving or stopping for instance brake applications or release. Additionally a sound decoder has acceleration and deceleration delays built in to allow the correct operating sounds a reasonable time to complete, often there is a compromise between realistic operation and the near 'instant' (in railway terms at least) response of a non-sound decoder or DC operation. This is due to the fact that we are [mostly] not fortunate enough to have a scale mile or two to accelerate and decelerate in!

This can be mitigated in two ways, the sound decoder can have its inbuilt delays reduced or removed by changing its configuration (CVs), or, alternately the non-sound decoder can have delays introduced (again by CVs) this would be my personal choice. A degree of trial and error in setting the decoder up is inevitable, since not only acceleration/ deceleration needs to be accounted for, but also other items such as brake release. It would be great if manufacturers would add additional CVs to act as delay timers for this! However, it is possible to setup your non-sound decoder such as it operates fairly closely the performance of your sound fitted loco, other fine tuning can be accomplished by tweaking the sound decoder as well.

In short, the non-sound decoder factory fitted is not planned to be setup in this way as we do not know if it will be MU'd with our sound fitted locos or others (since each will have differing delays). I will take under advisement looking into establishing CVs suitable, but must say it is workload dependent, so if anyone else would like to volunteer, please feel free to publish
    Last edited by Andy Dapol; 9 December 2016, 12:34.
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
      DRS Crewe On A Mission commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much for letting me know Andy. It's very much appreciated.

If you have time and/or are able to would you be able to do some research into the CV settings and find out how I and probably others can run sound and non sound locos within the same consist/convoy? If you are able to find out how to match sound and no sound locos to near enough the same speed when running in a consist please could you put the details of how to do this on here?

Or if anyone else could put the details of how to do this on here it would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind Regards,

Danny.

• Andy Dapol
      Andy Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't forget though that any settings published may vary dependent on the decoders used (both sound & non sound) so anything I publish would only be for our non-sound decoder. If anyone calculates settings once they have the model for different decoders, please publish here for the greater good.

Speed matching and other settings is covered on the DCC supplies 'Decoder Programming and setup class' If there is sufficient interest then perhaps a special Class 68 focused course could be run in the New Year? More info here: http://www.dccsupplies.com/cat-124b5...-and-setup.htm
      Last edited by Andy Dapol; 9 December 2016, 12:37. Reason: additional info

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
      DRS Crewe On A Mission commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Andy,

Thank you very much for letting me know. It's very much appreciated.

So what details would you be publishing? Would this be how to adjust the speed of non sound locos to run at nearly the same speed as sound locos or how to adjust the speed of sound locos to run at near enough the speed of non sound locos?

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind Regards,

Danny.
Working...
X