Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Class 68 Update - Final DRS livery photos.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Class 68 Update - Final DRS livery photos.

With the approval of DRS of their livery last month the OO model were approved and were placed ''in production', this is allocated for early December and we anticipate seeing production samples of all liveries during that month.
    We shall post photos of each once they are received. In the meantime I have added some further photos of 68001 as well as some close-ups of the compass logo (in cruel close-up, with an actual size inset) as well as a close-up of the front compass logo.
    For those who maybe concerned about over-spray of the yellow, I should point-out that the compass is 0.9mm in size, meaning (on my screen a 20X enlargement) the over-spray is less than 0.09mm! As the other photos show, this is invisible without optical assistance

I should clarify: These are the same pictures that have been previously published. (other than the map detail) other listed improvements (and unlisted!) are being made, this included the previously discussed nameplates (which are in fact differing sizes within the class, a difference that is reflected in the final model)
    Last edited by Andy Dapol; 17 November 2016, 11:17.
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Fantastic work! The DRS livery looks fantastic!

I am really looking forward to these models arriving now.

Well done to everyone involved.

Are the models still expected to arrive in January/February 2017?

Thank you very much in advance.

Comment

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
      DRS Crewe On A Mission commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much for letting me know. It's very much appreciated.

Really looking forward to the Class 68s arriving now.

Please could you tell me what manufacturer DCC Decoder the DCC Fitted Class 68s will have fitted?

• Andy Dapol
      Andy Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      No worries. It will be an ESU decoder with mainline sound.

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
      Editing a comment
      Thank you very much for letting me know. It's very much appreciated.

I look forward to seeing the final sample photos of the three liveries.

Fully agree with DRS Crewe On A Mission it's fantastic and well done to those involved!
    Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
      Editing a comment
      Really looking forward to the Class 68s arriving now.

Which locos are you going to buy?

• JeremiahBunyan
      JeremiahBunyan commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm waiting for the N gauge versions, DRS is first on my list, but heard that TPE were going to get some, if TPE get some, I'll go for a TPE version.

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
      Editing a comment
      Very good. The DRS liveried Class 68s are at the top of my list too. It would be good if their were some TPE and Northern Belle liveried Class 68s. I would definitely buy Northern Belle liveried Class 68s and probably some TPE liveried ones too.

What a superb looking model - I can't quite believe my eyes to see the level of detail which has gone into the Compass livery. This looks like an early entrant for model of the year 2017. Firm handshakes all round to all involved. I look forward to welcoming one onto my layout early in 2017.

Comment

Livery looks great. I notice the nameplates still appear proportionally oversize though? (ie. too much space above the lettering 'Evolution')

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/21445328074

This creates an issue because when overlaying with etched plates (of the correct size), the transfer underneath will still show from behind as it is slightly larger. Normally in this instance I would remove the transfer prior to fitting etched plates. This is fine on a plain paint finish, however my guess is that this won't be possible on the 68 without unavoidably removing some of the white 'swoosh' directly behind the plate.
      Last edited by YesTor; 16 November 2016, 03:40.

Comment

159220 commented
        Editing a comment
        Completely agree: https://digest.dapol.co.uk/forum/mai...=2527#post2527

Though the nameplates on this sample appear to be etched nameplates. I recall Andy Dapol confirming that nameplates were to be etched but factory fitted on the 68s.

• YesTor
        YesTor commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, so the etched plates are too big AND glued on?! That's even worse. It would be shame to go to the great efforts that they clearly have done to get the livery and printing correct, only to go and finish things off with oversize nameplates. Let's hope the final ones will have correct size plates. Still, perhaps Dapol can comment?
        Last edited by YesTor; 17 November 2016, 02:14.

• Andy Dapol
        Andy Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        My bad. I have clarified the post above. Since some of my comments maybe 'lost' a page or two back.
        The photos of the previous decorated sample. The nameplates are to be produced correctly sized for each model.

What a superb looking model, the level of tooled and printed detail is utterly outstanding. The small features such as the forward facing compass and bogie Vossloh plates impress.
      Naturally, as a geographer and thus okay to admit I like maps - I have always been fond of the 68 compass map. Too see it reduced to 1:76 scale is frankly delightful!

Andy Dapol I hope you do not mind to say at this late stage, there are still two errors highlighted. I am 100% convinced they are addressed and just not shown in these samples as we have discussed before and agreed. Thus, I shall be brief.

1. Roof fans should be silver/metallic (I questioned this before and demonstrated through photos that 68001-025 were delivered metallic: https://digest.dapol.co.uk/forum/mai...=2124#post2124)
      2. image_495 is the correct green fade? As image_494 is incorrect. The green fade is not centered on the model in image_494. I know earlier samples demonstrated this as a 'test'? Thus likely no worry!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screen Shot 2016-11-15 at 19.59.57.png Views:	1 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	3755

Looking super forward to the 68 now. Certainly model of the year 2017!

Hopefully Chiltern samples not long away, looking to see that grey band lowered.

Edit: 17/11/2016:

Not the best photo, but taken at Norwich out of a train window this afternoon. Shows image_495 are correct, but image_494 incorrect. I hope this is not an inconvenient comment Andy Dapol ? I am sure there is a very logical explanation as to why image_494 shows the fade incorrectly place of-balance to the left

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4128.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	757.7 KB
ID:	3796
      Last edited by 159220; 17 November 2016, 19:02. Reason: Edited to add a photo of todays 68 in Norwich to demostrate image_494 error.

Comment

159220 commented
        Editing a comment
        In case any reader is concerned. I discussed this with Andy Dapol at Warley and we agree, the green fade is to be centered.
        Silver fans are now corrected.
        68002 looked brilliant too!

Andy Dapol - the artwork on the OO 68 is quite fabulous, *however*, I'm not sure the intricacies of the compass map will translate well into N gauge.... I think it might just look like random tiny spots of rust in N.... just food for thought and not to take anything away from your OO effort, which is indeed exquisite!!!

Comment

• Andy Dapol
        Andy Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Never say never - at least until one has tried! (and frankly, I haven't yet)
        I can assure that although inevitably there will be a reduction of detail in N gauge. We are known for the clarity and detail of our N gauge printing and this will be no exception.

• JR_P
        JR_P commented
        Editing a comment
        Andy Dapol speaking of which, has work progressed on the N gauge version at all, eg. is their any CAD yet, etc, etc? Is there an approx ETA of when the model might be available? Perhaps you could add a comment on progress on the N gauge 68 thread :-)

• JeremiahBunyan
        JeremiahBunyan commented
        Editing a comment
        CAD was shown a while ago JR_P

WOW! I am amazed by the detail put in to this model. A HUGE congratulations to all this looks absolutely superb!!!

Comment

I saw these fine beasts on display at Warley last weekend & they were looking fabulous, I had itchy wallet finger just looking at them. I will be purchasing more than one of these machines that much is already decided. My congratulations to all who have developed what is looking to be an absolutely stunning bit of kit.

Comment

Can't wait! Credit where credit's due.

Just out of interest, for those who are impatient and can't wait until 008 and 009 are released, what are the chances of there being the multi-working sockets being available as spares so that those who renumber their models can recreate the blue ones on the Chilterns?

Comment

• DavidInYork
            DavidInYork commented
            Editing a comment
            I think you'll find that the models still wouldn't be correct - the earlier ones (1-5 I think) have different (smaller) fuel tanks than the later ones, and the ones in DRS livery in the first run are both from the 1-5 batch.

To make an accurate model, you'd need to combine the chassis from a later one with a blue DRS-livery body.

• Jack
            Jack commented
            Editing a comment
            A valid point there. I've always been under the impression all the smaller tanks got extended?

• Andy Dapol
            Andy Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            More changes than you may expect: Fuel tanks, 'battery' boxes, land-line connector, grab handles (with, without, reinforced), 'tea strainers' in front of horns etc. to name a few. That's without considering such thinks as the retro-fit of MU connectors to the earlier examples of the fleet.
            The next release will feature some of these changes as appropriate for the time that is being modelled. - At the moment there is no final list of what is to be produced since there maybe livery changes that we could model. The final list will be released around 1st quarter next year.

I went to warley last week and spoke to some one on the dapol stand and they said that the class 68 will have the two types of fuel tanks. Hope this answers your question.
          Last edited by 66122; 4 December 2016, 19:09.

Comment

• Jack
            Jack commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks mate. I remember seeing photos in a different thread on here about the 2 different fuel tanks. My hoping is that if they're available as spares (doubt it, but fingers crossed), they'll be exchangeable.

Hi All, I would like to congratulate all at Dapol on what certainly looks like an out standing release and would agree with other comments above.
          This has been a very complex livery to produce and now looks very impressive, and I look forward to supporting future batches to build variation in my
          68 fleet. Dapol are to be congratulated also on the fact that they have included such differences as the fuel tank size, and not just taken the easier route
          of not covering the relatively small batch with the smaller tank. I do just have a couple of questions, A. for those of us with the model in non factory fitted mode
          will it be possible to buy sound chips for a later upgrade ? and B. I understand the halo lights will only work in dcc fitted mode will this be the case for an upgraded
          loco once a chip is fitted to it or would this require further work ? Once again many thanks to Dapol for producing this loco and also more importantly taking the time
          to get it wright, I now look forward to the release and future models fingers crossed for 73/9's please.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
            Andy Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, Thanks for your comments. The model has a standard 21 pin MTC type connector fitted.
            Its extremely easy to fit a decoder at any point. Regarding the halo lamps; these do not function under DC as there is no control, it is possible to switch the cab and main lights however.
            If a DCC decoder with 2 functions is fitted, then the lighting can be controlled (on/off) and operates directionally Switches permit turning off rear lights.
            A 4 function decoder permits front and rear lighting independent control (i.e. from the DCC handset, no need for switches) and a 6 function decoder adds halo lamp control.

Hi Andy, many thanks for the above reply very informative and helpful as always.
          Will now just sit back and await the new arrivals through the post early next year

Comment

Are they in production yet, I would quite like to have them here before xmas because I really wanna see the tug a Tesco train around the tree

Comment

• Andy Dapol
              Andy Dapol commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, update now published in the Blog.

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone could help me please? I think I have asked this question before but I am still unsure.

Are the standard DCC Fitted Class 68s going to run at a different speed to the DCC Sound Fitted Class 68s?

It's just that I am looking at buying some standard decoder fitted and some sound decoder fitted examples but will they be able to run together in consists?

The reason I ask is because I bought the five DRS & NB ViTrains Class 47s at the end of 2014. Four of them were DCC Fitted and one of them was DCC Sound Fitted. I couldn't run the DCC Sound Fitted loco with the four in consists because of the speed difference. The DCC Sound loco would take much longer to stop meaning that it would jolt into the other DCC Fitted locos in the consist.

Will this be the same case with the Dapol Class 68s when running consists with a combination of sound and non sound fitted examples?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              The answer to your question is posted where you asked the question before IIRC. So trawl through all the Class 68 threads, I think there's 2-3 of them.

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
              Editing a comment
              Thank you very much for letting me know.

I do know that I have asked the question before but I just wanted to ask again to have clarification so that I can decide which locos I would like buy DCC Fitted and which ones I would like to have DCC Sound Fitted.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Danny.
          Working...
          X