• Show
Clear All

Any updates coming soon??

Regards, Ben

Comment

• Joel Dapol
      Joel Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      We are just waiting for DRS approval on the latest livery sample and then we are in for a production slot. My best guess would be towards the end of the year beginning of 2017 for delivery.

159220 commented
      Editing a comment
      Did DRS approve? Would be super to see the final livery samples.
      Seeing as TPE plan to use 19 x 68s, this would leave DRS with only 2! (Depending when the 2 x AGA are returned, then 4). I can see an additional order of these superb multi-modal locomotives.

• Joel Dapol
      Joel Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      We have a meeting soon with DRS and hopefully will post good news after.

Note: If needed, please feel free to move this to an appropriate part of the forum, I could not find anywhere suitable so posted here as it will be of interest to all.

Richard,
    a heartfelt thanks for turning what began as a moan about the attitude of one of your colleagues to my constructive comments at the open-day yesterday. Denial is an ugly public face.
    You turned an extremely negative experience into renewed faith with your company. Given conversations at work I had bee come quite concerned
    about Dapols future.

I'm sure you won't mind me repeating parts of our conversation here since we had quite the crowd on Saturday?

Its a shame the class 62 model failed irreparably so early during the open day, part of your colleagues fall from grace? It however demonstrates clearly that reverting to Dapols proven motor and removing the over complex and thereby unworkable lighting is a sound plan indeed.

Also its disappointment that the Black Label A4 is to be delayed even further due (once more) to electrical and mechanical reliability concerns, (especially after the recent newsletter), but as you, yourself admit admit, a model prone to spewing flame is not good for business, again I am pleased that you are to regain personal control.
    Your assumption of control, as you explained, does clearly show your commitment to "wowing" us, the modeler and it would be so easy, as occurred with the class 73 to remain aloof from legitimate concerns.

The explanation you offered of the concerns and endemic errors which led to you being brought in full time, were I assume a gentleman's way of explaining the imminent replacement of the somewhat "out of control subcontractor" concerned?
    As you stated, repeating the farce of the class 73 once more with the 68 was something you could not permit let slip through once more, its a shame you were not able to act earlier.
    I for one fully support the redesigns, another 3-4 months on these models will be well worth the wait and hardly noticeable given the already interminable delays, although I am sure other less visionary readers will not.

Thank you for introducing Neil, your decision to bring him in as an apprentice is laudable and by moving the class 59 to him under your sagely tutorials will, as you mentioned, rather modestly I thought, , 'ensure the next generation of visionary Dapol models.
    The longer term decision to concentrate on O gauge Steam and especially God's Wonderful fills me with pleasure. Also you are correct in your feelings about the lesser scales

For now, thank you for making my visit worthwhile.
    I look forward to the official announcement which you explained would fully explain situations!

Rob

All very best for now and happy modelling
    Last edited by 68-ROB; 2 October 2016, 13:36.

Comment

• Scruff
      Scruff commented
      Editing a comment
      Mystified...

• Joel Dapol
      Joel Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too, how somebody can put so much effort into being nasty and dishonest amazes me.

• JeremiahBunyan
      JeremiahBunyan commented
      Editing a comment
      Joblessness is the key here... How do these people sleep at night?

Hi Joel!
    Actually we met yesterday, but sadly you were already involved with others. I then attempted to talk to Andy, which frankly didn't go well.

I mean no mischief, and offer only good will towards Dapol, hence after my (very) public conversation with Richard, which started from an innocent question as to why your flagship model was stationary. There appeared to be no private or confidential information communed.

I therefore felt the good cheer could be reported as it could become veiled in a mess of despondency and hoped that my posting would relieve the inevitable ill will that may follow your difficult announcement.

I feel Richards involvement is a fully positive move for Dapol, he is an ambassador to your company you should be proud of (unlike your subcontractor) and that perhaps I may be bold and suggest that you should hasten rather than retard such announcements. There is no shame in admitting past errors of judgement, especially where connivance is implicated.

Yours in modelling brotherhood
    Rob

Comment

• Andy Dapol
      Andy Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      I recollect no conversation which 'did not go well' taking place during the open day. I am always open to comments, suggestions, criticism and complaints and will respond in a professional manner (of course, sometimes this may not be be the exact response that was hoped for) but I will always present my answer in a reasonable way.
      Perhaps you could explain further exactly what the subject of this discussion was?

Cheers for the heads up on ETA Joel, The more time you spend on it the better the final outcome will be! So glad its near the end of the line now.

Comment

As I wasn't there and without witness from anyone who was, we can only take what we read at face value. I would not have bragged about a private conversation even if it took place at a public event, but is an indiscretion sufficient reason to paint the OP as creating a construction of lies?

68-ROB claims to be reporting a conversation which took place after a some kind of confrontation which Richard defused. On the whole he sounds very positive about it all. Richard must have done a great job in calming him down and probably answered questions whilst doing so.
      The thing is, none of his claims have been denied or even commented on properly. Richard posts on this forum, but has not involved himself, as well as this, the same person he complained about has removed his replies and banned him from further un-moderated postings. There is rather a vacuum of reply

Meanwhile, Hattons have put the class 68 delivery as delayed again, does this mean there could there be truth in all this? There does seem to have been some flaky decisions at Dapol before Richard became involved. - Water towers anyone?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
        Joel Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you must take a very different view on the post than I do, you see I was at the event and certainly all the models ran perfectly all day. There was a small period of time when the Class 68 did not run but that was because Richard and I did not know the DCC address for the loco and had to wait for Andy to set it. Other than this, it ran flawlessly. The A4 chuffed and puffed throughout the event continuously and has now run for more than 200 hours. As Andy has stated he did not have any altercation with anybody and this coupled with the comments made about the models, would lead me to believe this was just a particularly nasty and childish attempt to discredit our new models.

You are correct in that 68-ROB has been put on moderated status, the reason being he/she made some personal and professional accusations regarding one of my colleagues that breaks the code of conduct rules set for the Digest. Factor this in with the `factual inaccuracies' he/she posted, in my view are perfectly justifiable reasons for a moderation of his/her future postings.

With regard to the Class 68: Delivery dates are always an estimate and until liveries are finalised a firm production date cannot be given. This is true for all manufacturers as I am sure you are aware. We feel the current livery samples are virtually there now and once this is confirmed we will be able to ascertain a delivery date with more certainty. This is the reason for the movement of the expected delivery date and not as 68-ROB implied rather nastily through a mechanical or technical issue.

I am interested in your particular area of expertise as you appear to be able assess apparent `flaky decisions' so well. In my view producing an accurate scale model of a water tower (with and without sound) may not be everybody's cup of tea, but in my view may have a place for some. We like to think we serve a broad spectrum of hobbyists at Dapol and if this means certain of our products sometimes do not appeal to the more traditionalists, c'est la vie as they say.

Finally, I would just like to fill a little knowledge gap for you, Andy and Richard have been working with Dapol for three years now and both have been involved with many key Dapol products already.

Any updates mate?

Comment

• Joel Dapol
        Joel Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Approval has now been given to the livery subject to a few tiny changes and production has been scheduled for later this year.

• JeremiahBunyan
        JeremiahBunyan commented
        Editing a comment
        So that means the N gauge one will follow suit from early 2017? I initially wanted a DRS one, but since rumours spread about TPE and Northen Belle considering these locos I decided to wait (also goes easy on the wallet). Maybe a DRS one later.

• Joel Dapol
        Joel Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        That's the plan, we will start the tooling on this very shortly.

So will we see them arriving January 2017 then? I'm very glad that approval has been given now.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
        JeremiahBunyan commented
        Editing a comment
        I think that's a plausible estimate. Jan-Feb I suppose!

So is there a photo of the final livery that's been passed by Drs Joel

Comment

• Joel Dapol
        Joel Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        The sample shown was the that photographed at the start of the thread. Apart from some small tweaks, they were very happy with the rendition and the colours used. I guess they should be as they gave us the colour references :-).

After seeing the sample, I am looking very much forward to the release. Well done to all involved

Comment

Hi all,

Is their an update on the OO Gauge Class 68s please? Are their any final sample photos of the three liveries? Has production started?

Another query that I have is what manufacturers DCC Decoder are the OO Gauge Class 68s going to be fitted with?

Thank you very much in advance.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
          JeremiahBunyan commented
          Editing a comment
          According to a post recently on the Dapol facebook page, the Class 68 is in production IIRC.
      Working...
      X