and this arrived this morning....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and this arrived this morning....

3rd sampling of the DRS livery. UPS fresh and subject to a full check of course, but we wanted to share...
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Absolutely Sensational, I especially like how you can see through the grille & spot what I believe is a fan or compressor? Fantastic stuff Andy.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
      Andy Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      Dynamic braking cooling fan, I believe (pending correction from those who know!)

I Like, I like it alot! Looks fantastic! Do you know a release date for it? 3rd times the charm or likely to be any additional decorated samples?

Comment

Looks fantastic... but still, I hate to be a kill-joy, however the nameplate still looks too big - as in too tall/too much space above and below 'Evolution' lettering. Nameplates on almost any locomotive conform to a standard format and generally appear quite 'slim', whereas the model above appears looks 'fat'...

http://bit.ly/2cCfJp7

If anything, where nameplates are concerned, it's better to be too small as opposed to too large, at least that way overlaying a correct sized etched plate will rectify the problem, whereas try laying a correct size nameplate over a transfer that's too big and you're kind of screwed...
      Last edited by YesTor; 5 September 2016, 23:40.

Comment

Wow! The minor/micro printed detail now going on the DRS liveries is really make the 68 look superb. Model of the Year to be? Is the Chiltern livery sample hidden in the base of the UPS box?

I have to agree with @tomdonnelly87002 the cooling fans for the dynamic breaks have come as a surprise to me. I know there is a hole in the tooling behind the etch, I did not think the fan had been modeled. Nice.

Minor niggles, I know you appreciate my joy for the minor details in life!

- I see the factory have still pained the roof fans fully black when they were delivered silver.
        - I see the mini compasses below the front (and rear) cab windows is still missing.

Though I have pointed that the 'groving' should ideally be infilled with black. Seeing as the printing pad has not gone into the groves it does leave the same ‘effect’ without the effort of having to infill with black. Would others agree?

Since c.June 68001 has sported additional warning flashes on the nose side below the cab window by the handle bar. 68002 and 68005 have not yet have these added. Must be done during exams? https://www.flickr.com/photos/33106/29401957501/ But I can apply these additions myself if it bugs me enough!

The livery sample is looking superb and I might nearly say perfect! And I do not think I have ever seen a perfect model! I am about too aren't I!

Looking very very VERY forward to these models now.

Comment

Originally posted by YesTor View Post
          Looks fantastic... but still, I hate to be a kill-joy, however the nameplate still looks too big - as in too tall/too much space above and below 'Evolution' lettering. Nameplates on almost any locomotive conform to a standard format and generally appear quite 'slim', whereas the model above appears looks 'fat'...

http://bit.ly/2cCfJp7

If anything, where nameplates are concerned, it's better to be too small as opposed to too large, at least that way overlaying a correct sized etched plate will rectify the problem, whereas try laying a correct size nameplate over a transfer that's too big and you're kind of screwed...
          Think you are onto something there. On investigation, it seems the top and sides are too 'thick' between boarder and name. Base seems fine. But perhaps etching cannot go smaller?

Comment

Hi Andy Dapol

It looks absolutely superb! I cannot wait to see the other samples. Best of luck with this project. I'm sure it's going to be a real winner. I'm looking forward to the N gauge version and hopefully a TPE or Northern Belle version (if they actually appear). If a TPE or Northern Belle one doesn't materialize then I'll settle for a DRS one at some point.

Cheers!
            Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Originally posted by 159220 View Post

Think you are onto something there. On investigation, it seems the top and sides are too 'thick' between boarder and name. Base seems fine. But perhaps etching cannot go smaller?
              Fantastic work Dapol!

I agree with all of the above comments. The Class 68 is looking fantastic!

I would say this latest sample looks pretty much perfect with the exception of the couple of niggles mentioned above.

I have just noticed from the photo provided by 159220 and through looking at a photo of 68001 on Flickr that the nameplates look slightly out of position.

On the top photo of the model (provided by 159220) the bottom right corner of the nameplate overlaps fully onto the next section of the green fade livery. Whereas on the bottom photo (which looks to be of a real life loco) the bottom right hand corner of the nameplate sits between the two green faded lines.

Not a massive issue but still noticeable and slightly out of place.

If the positioning of the nameplates and the size of the lining around them and the lettering are corrected I think that area is pretty much sorted.

Fantastic model.

I too am very looking forward to these models now.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
                Andy Dapol commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm yet to 'go over' the sample in depth. but have noted a couple of minor issues, the main thing is the logos now look much better. Map printing is an incorrect colour and needs a little improvement and the plates are subject to exact measurements. I agree they do look 'out' so I'll be checking them carefully and fully after TINGS next week. I'll also post some more photos.
                Last edited by Andy Dapol; 7 September 2016, 21:46. Reason: fat fingers!

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
                DRS Crewe On A Mission commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you very much for the reply.

You are doing a fantastic job and yes I agree the logos look much better. I look forward to seeing the next sample.

I'm really itching to get my hands on the drs 68, is there an ETA on delivery dates??

Comment

Hi all, Andy and all at dapol should be proud of this little stunner by the time the now small niggles are sorted it should
                be an award winner !
                As stated above the cooling fan sitting neatly behind its mesh really sets the model off, and the livery now does justice to the moulding.
                Looking forward to some more pic's please Andy from various angles so we can really appreciate the full effect

Comment

Originally posted by 159220 View Post

I cannot imagine any reason as to why the etching cannot go smaller, after all Shawplan produce an entire range of etched nameplates in 4mm scale and they are always bang on. They also produce 2mm scale plates as well, so if it can be done in N gauge...

Either way, your photos illustrate quite well that the space above the text is slightly too wide.

I think when these small details are ironed out this will be a fantastic model.

Comment

BTW hats off to Andy and Dapol, LISTENING to the customer and improving the model before production, excellent work!!

Comment

Is the model actually Drs blue and the correct shade of green fade still looks way off as from the pics from above Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	2594

Last edited by Spirit of the lakes; 10 September 2016, 17:08.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                        JeremiahBunyan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I hope you realize that a single camera can give two different images, simply due to lighting and editing. I think the Dapol staff have stressed enough in the past that they carefully match RAL codes for the artwork.

I fail to see how you're comparing a model in a studio set up with artificial light and a prototype in the sunny outdoors...

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
                        DRS Crewe On A Mission commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It has been mentioned by Dapol in reply to comment I made above that the map printing is an incorrect colour. It's been mentioned that this is going to be improved.

Hope this helps.

• Andy Dapol
                        Andy Dapol commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Indeed, I am reviewing the model fully later this week, but one item is the wording of the map, it is a little too dark and I believe we can make the resolution better still. I shall post an update once finalised.

Andy, thought you may be interested to see that 88 that's on it's way to Innotrans 2016. Oh, and there's a new livery for you tackle...

http://www.railcolor.net/images/basi...er_2853_51.jpg

Comment

• Andy Dapol
                        Andy Dapol commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks, Yes very smart, I'd noticed the livery earlier, nothing a pink pencil and a ruler won't sort out <wink>

• peteb
                        peteb commented
                        Editing a comment
                        As the first UK Electro-Diesel since the Class 73 and 74,and the first UK overhead AC electric Electro-Diesel, this is an interesting Loco. An AC electric that you can realistically run with the pantograph down and without catenary - so I really hope Dapol will move on to produce this one after the 68.

159220 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Indeed, a very exciting loco for the UK. We shall shortly see how it performs on the national network.

Hi all,Will it come with all the detailing pre fitted or will there still be a detailing pack to fit yourself?

Comment

• Andy Dapol
                        Andy Dapol commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It will be all fitted.
                    Working...
                    X