Latest class 68 Decorated Samples.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Latest class 68 Decorated Samples.

Latest Scotrail and DRS decorated samples arrived a little while back.
    Chassis and 'fixed' detail prints are similar across all three liveries (allowing for the obvious variations).
    Scotrail: Adjustment to Saltire positioning, improved rendition of the 'spots'
    DRS: Much improved livery, with only the white fade around the compass remaining. I hope to have better samples of this within the next few weeks, which of course I'll share once they are received.
    Samples of the etched nameplates are in preparation, and again I shall post photos ASAP.
    Also, I thought I'd view a quick shot of a double headed rake just to whet appetites
    Last edited by Andy Dapol; 29 July 2016, 18:52.
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Thank you very much for the photos of the latest samples.

The liveries look brilliant! I too am looking forward to double heading 68s on the Mountsorrel job or even using a single Class 68. I'm currently using DRS Class 57/3s.

Are the OO Gauge Class 68s going to have working cab lights as well as directional lighting?

I look forward to seeing further samples.

Thank you very much in advance.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
      Andy Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, operating cab lights are fitted and can be controlled via a switch.

Hi Andy,

These livery samples look even better. I wish you'll well... Absolutely beautiful models and I cannot wait to see the N gauge versions now. Just outstanding...
    Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Thank you very much for the reply.

That's fantastic. Will the directional lighting be controlled by the function button on DCC Controllers and cab lighting be controlled by the F1 (Function 1) button on DCC Controllers?

Is the switch to turn the cab lighting on and off underneath the loco?

Comment

• Andy Dapol
        Andy Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, fully controllable via DCC (Recommended decoder CV settings will be supplied with the model) and cab lighting is selectable by internal switch (DC) and controllable via the DCC handset. Again this will be detailed with the instructions.

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
        DRS Crewe On A Mission commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you very much for the reply. It's very much appreciated.

The halo effect lighting and directional lighting will be fantastic.

Thank you again for the new photos.

First off Wow! they are looking fantastic & I cant wait to add several to my collection. If I may ask a few questions though,

1) I saw the photo with the Halo effect lighting, will this be operated by a switch somewhere on the loco? Or will this be a DCC only function?

2) Will the tail lights like the cab lights have a switch on the loco to turn them on/off?

Other than that excellent progress and I look forward to further updates.

Thank you in advance,

Tom.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
        Andy Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi, Thanks for your comments.
        Halo is a DCC 'only' function. This is because these lights are only operated when the loco is stationary. Therefore they would not operate on DC prototypically. However, if you want to use them as running lights, then a minor wiring change can be made to switch them over with the running lamps.
        Tail lights are switchable, as is the cab light.
        I'll post a full review of lighting operation and features once the model has been signed off for production.

• tomdonnelly87002
        tomdonnelly87002 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for your response Andy I do appreciate you taking the time to respond. Look forward to the model immensely.

Tom.

Hi

Great to see the improvements, Ive said it many times before the 68 is going to be a brilliant model.

The green fade is looking superb.

Might I just add a few constructive comments, based on the attached photo?

I imagine ‘chassis and fixed detail prints are similar across all three liveries’ means details like cantrails and warning flashes?

On the double head photo - though looks great - I see the new livery sample suffers from the fade not being centred to the middle of the model.

Great to see the black lining around the windows.

Following comments we have talked about before (I am sure the sample expected in the next few weeks features them), but just for the circle to be fully drawn:

1. Would be brilliant to see the mini compass.
      2. Silver door handles.
      3. Silver/metal plate at base of door.
      4. Bogie information. 20.5 m 11.83 .
      5. Bogie number plate on both frames.
      6. The 'groving' could ideally be infilled with black/rubber.
      7. Yellow end to step.
      8. The nameplates generally too large. Ideally slightly smaller than etched plates (discussed elsewhere on Digest).
      9. No compass through grills.
      10. Fans fully silver (fair prototype shown does not show this).

I know really minor niggles, which are by no means necessary to have, but would make the model look outstanding - more so! (Just central positioned green fades)

Chiltern livery sample expected soon, along with 002/005?

Scotrail looks good, not my area of knowledge, central grills should be black and I think some comments above also apply (1/2/3/6/7/8).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n2075[/ATTACH]
      Last edited by 159220; 31 July 2016, 00:46.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
        Andy Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi, Thanks for the comments:
        1. Would be brilliant to see the mini compass. - I'm waiting for the final prints of this, it's one area I'm not 100% happy with on this sample.
        2. Silver door handles. - Agreed
        3. Silver/metal plate at base of door. - Agreed
        4. Bogie information. 20.5 m 11.83 . - Agreed
        5. Bogie number plate on both frames. Being added (this is only on one side of the bogie I think?)
        6. The 'groving' could ideally be infilled with black/rubber. - A black line should have been added to this sample, but wasn't.
        7. Yellow end to step. - Agreed, was deleted from this sample for unknown reasons
        8. The nameplates generally too large. Ideally slightly smaller than etched plates (discussed elsewhere on Digest). - Etched plates currently in process
        9. No compass through grills. Agreed
        10. Fans fully silver (fair prototype shown does not show this). - Interesting one this, 68001 seems to be the only loco that had silver ducts from new, others seem to have been black from new - I'm happy to be corrected and/or at which number the change occurred.

159220 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi. I thought you would have the points covered.

1. Brilliant - to see the mini compass on the cab front would certainly impress.
        5. Yes only one per bogie (inner sides) (I know I have shared photos before - I think)
        6. Least it is on the factory to do. The black lines between the lights on the front warning panel look much improved - nice and sharp.
        8. Could you confirm that there shall only be etched plates and not printed? That would be great.
        10. Sorry to correct this, but all 68s delivered with silver ducts from new...just get blacken quickly.
        68002: https://www.flickr.com/photos/124193...6/14615561497/
        68005: https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/13904525564/
        68008: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cmc1987/14375998256/
        68010: https://www.flickr.com/photos/minispotter/15574134809/
        68018/19: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ricardo4eyes/22706883189/
        I promise I checked the rest, inc. 68016 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/23303996165/) but no need to C&P all links.

If I could just add one, is the green fade signed off? As I noticed the middle fade nearing the cabs should be reverse faded ie fade up rather than down as shown on the sample. Just to confirm, the fades shall be central, as I noticed on the double head photo the new sample suffers the same as the last with the fades not being centralised on the body.

• Andy Dapol
        Andy Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the additional info. I will update accordingly.

I have just compared the latest sample photo of 68001 to a photo of 68001 on Flickr.

A quick look over and the latest sample of 68001 looks very accurate when compared to the real loco.

The only thing I have noticed that is missing on the model is the handrails. I am assuming all have been accounted for and will be on the model. The five I am talking about are: the two at either side of the cab doors, the one just left or just right of the cab door at the front of the loco and the fourth and fifth are just around the bottom of the cab windscreens.

Fantastic work with these Class 68s Dapol.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
        Andy Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point! (I could tell you a funny story about parts not being present on a sample) .
        This is a 'proof' for the livery modifications, so there will be a final production sample being produced of each livery which [should] have all parts present.
        Last edited by Andy Dapol; 1 August 2016, 19:06.

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for clarifying.

I thought that their would be an explanation as to why certain parts are not present on this sample.

Will the next livery sample be the final livery sample for all three liveries?

Soon after should we then get to see the decorated models before they are produced?

I think this model is great looking. I like the ScotRail version, is there plans to either offer an undecorated version (as I have my own fleet colours) or the Northern class 68 livery.

Many thanks

Des

Comment

• Andy Dapol
        Andy Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Des, Just to clarify, are you requesting an unnumbered or undecorated (as in plain blue) version?
        Transpennine is on the cards for next year (once liveries are confirmed by TP), Northern Belle will also be produced, should the prototype be re-liveried.

• DRS Crewe On A Mission
        Editing a comment
        I completely agree! The Class 68s are going to be fantastic.

Great to hear that the TPE livery will be produced along with the Northern Belle livery if any of the prototype locos are repainted.

• Des Percy
        Des Percy commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello Andy, undecorated version as in blue or even grey, excellent news about the TPE version.

I think there is still a long way to go before the livery is correct not even the right green fade and it may be the picture of the sample but it don't even look like Drs blue.
      The compass tails are not even fading out right.

Need all all this to be correct before I buy one for my layout
      Last edited by Spirit of the lakes; 1 August 2016, 22:57.

Comment

• Andy Dapol
        Andy Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi, I'd refute your comment that there's a long way to go, but do agree that some corrections are needed.
        Forgive me if I've given the impression that this is final product, certainly not the case; but instead, a glimpse into the models development cycle. It's no secret that the livery is proving challenging to mass-produce and these samples demonstrate the step changes as they happen and hopefully more interesting than silence.
        Photographs always render differently on different screens and I'd suggest a visit either to our stand at an exhibition or to DCC Supplies in Worcester where the model can be seen in the flesh. (Let me know and I'll be sure to have the model available even if it's the 'wrong' gauge show, our next events are O and N gauge).
        Last edited by Andy Dapol; 2 August 2016, 18:43. Reason: Commas !

Many thanks for the reply Andy I appreciate your comments and I am really happy with the model itself and I know Dapol will get there with the livery it's a real challenging livery I am not dening that.

I am am looking forward to getting the model for my exhibition layout. I look forward to future developments.

Many thanks

Comment

Its coming along nicely Andy! Did wonder about the colour but as you say could just be the camera/monitor. How many more pre-production samples will there be/planned before its full power ahead into production?

Kind Regards

Alistair

Comment

Looking Very Nice And looking forward to running one for myself , 1 Question for Andy , How far have you got with the development for
          the N Gauge one ? . Again This Has the WOOOOOWWWW !!! Factor The DRS one is a Work of art in it's self Well Done

Comment

• Andy Dapol
            Andy Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            N gauge will commence tooling shortly.

• JeremiahBunyan
            JeremiahBunyan commented
            Editing a comment
            Can you'll post pictures of the CAD just for people the see? I'm sure it'll have little or no errors as it would've been sorted out by the OO gauge one.

Hi All, please bear with me as I am new to all this and it's the first time I have posted any where so thanks in advance.
          Also thanks to dapol for giving us the chance to comment on the products as they progress to production.
          The 68's are looking superb and I cant wait to set mine to work when they arrive but glad to wait whilst Dapol perfect them.
          Whilst viewing the pic's of the pre production locos I noted that the warning panel on the nose appears to be an incorrect shape
          The top outer corners of the panel should lap just around the edge of the body and form a right angle at the top edge, not the rounded arc on the
          model hope this is of help close inspection of pic's will show what I mean.
          Regards

Comment

• Andy Dapol
            Andy Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the feedback. It is indeed incorrect. I am guessing the mask is wrong and I shall change this.

Mightily impressed as always Andy! Keep the hard work up.

Comment

Hi Andy, glad to see my input was a help !
            I think although relatively minor the adjustment of the warning panel will help the rest of the livery to sit better with the eye.
            keep up the stunning work to date and I think your on a real winner.

Comment

159220 commented
              Editing a comment
              Now you pointed it out, it is very noticeable on the prototype. I think I had allowed the body shape to guide my eye to create an arch. Many angles it appears an arch, but the warning panel yellow clearly does straighten over the body.
          Working...
          X