Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Next batch of class 68's - Any improvements??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, I hope I've put this in the right place?

will the new batch of class 68's have modified circuit board? So they work with more decoders without modification

will they be coming before Christmas?

I have a DRS one on order and really looking forward to this model

thanks
    oliver

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
      JeremiahBunyan commented
      Editing a comment
      As Neil stated in post #32, they're already on the high seas! So a delivery before Christmas seems likely.

• Joel Dapol
      Joel Dapol commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello Oliver, The Class 68 has a high degree of DCC functionality. This means that to utilise all the features available you will need a 6 function decoder, such as our new Imperium 6 function 21 pin decoder. My view is that no improvements were needed and the PCB is essentially the same as Batch # 1 but you do need the above to make the most of the model. This is of course a personal choice and if some of the features are not required then many other decoders can be used. I hope that helps.

Thanks for letting me know

I had forgotten about the Imperium decoders when will the be out?

The main reason I was asking about the PCB was my friend has a 68 and had to remove the copper wire to get it to work with a DCC concepts zen decoder

and thinking about sound fitting I was thinking if the PCB could have been made a little smaller so you could fit a Legomanbiffo EM2 speaker without being modified

really looking forward to the 68 coming in a few weeks think I will go for the Imperium or a Legoman sound decoder if funds allow

Comment

What’s the best sound for the 68 ?

Is there any difference between the dapol fitted sound and the legoman decoder sold separately ?

Are the sounds any different.

Where they recorded from a real class 68 ?

Really looking forward to this one hopefully it will be here soon

thanks
      oliver

Comment

• Joel Dapol
        Joel Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        I cannot comment on the sound that Legoman Biffo sells as we have not heard his rendition yet. However, I can confirm that Legoman was involved with our project as well and this was recorded from a Class 68 in service. Hope that helps.

• Oliver Chapman
        Oliver Chapman commented
        Editing a comment
        So there not the same recording ?

• Joel Dapol
        Joel Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        I cannot say as I have not heard his rendition. All I can say is that I have heard ours and think Legoman Biffo has done a great job. Whether he has changed the edit for his own needs I cannot say.

Originally posted by Neil Dapol View Post
      The Class 68 replacement body shells have been produced in conjunction with the next batch of the models. This production run is currently on the water heading our way. We are now at the vagaries of shipping and customs. We hope to have these in time for Warley but we cannot guarantee this.
      I have just been notified by a well known retailer that the Class 68s are due into stock on or after Monday 27th November.

Does this mean you will have the latest releases of the class 68 models on show at Warley this weekend?

Thanks,
      Matt.

Comment

• Joel Dapol
        Joel Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, we we will be taking a few down to Warley.

• JeremiahBunyan
        JeremiahBunyan commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope the factory didn't mess anything up this time Joel Dapol because that model is a beauty! I sincerely hope you'll have no issues this time around.

Cheers!

• Joel Dapol
        Joel Dapol commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm confident that this is the best OO gauge model we have ever produced. All the minor issues have been resolved IMO.

Looking at photos of 68003 and 8 taken at Warley they look pretty good to me.

Comment

From the photos I’ve seen they look excellent. I can't wait for my one to come in the post.

does anyone do a renumbering pack for the 68? I want to do mine as 68025 superb

Comment

• DavidInYork
          DavidInYork commented
          Editing a comment
          Depends how bothered about the fine detail you are, but there are differences between batches of 68s and none of those which Dapol have done so far are quite correct for 68025.

Can you tell me more about the differences?

What would be the difference between 68008 and 68025?

Having had a look at pictures online of 68008 and 68025 I can't see any difference my self

Thanks
        Oliver
        Last edited by Oliver Chapman; 29 November 2017, 13:29. Reason: Edit after looking online

Comment

• DavidInYork
          DavidInYork commented
          Editing a comment
          That one is the closest of those which Dapol have done. The AAR sockets on the ends would need removing. Not sure whether there are any differences with the handrails on the nose (can't really tell from photos). Other than that I think it's OK.

The other DRS ones which Dapol have done are all from the first batch (68001-5) and have smaller fuel tanks.

Originally posted by Oliver Chapman View Post
        Can you tell me more about the differences?

What would be the difference between 68008 and 68025?

Having had a look at pictures online of 68008 and 68025 I can't see any difference my self

Thanks
        Oliver
        One might suggest if you cannot spot the differences yourself then it likely does not matter? I would suspect through your online search you also have found both R3Sprays (now Rainbow Railways) and Rail-Tec who both produce superb number sets for the class 68. You would need a degree of patience in re-numbering a DRS livery. Seeing as part of the loco number is printed into the green fade. As you would of noted on the Digest, Dapol have previously stated in time all of the loco numbers shall feature. Thus balance your skills against your desire to have 68025 now.

As for detailed differences, as pointed out before.

001-005 were constructed before DRS increased the fuel tank specification. The extended tank has now been retrofitted to most, I have only recently noted 003 without the larger tank.

001-015 (batch 1) were delivered in two livery variants. originally the driver door handle bars and the multiple working step handle bars had one bolt. (More subtlety they also were smooth in finish without grip striations).

Subsequently, 008-015 have been fitter with AAR multiple working for the Chiltern Railways contract. The customer (Arriva) requested the handle bars to be removed due to safely concerns over no grip and the single bolt was demonstrated to be susceptible to failure. Until new bars and bolts could be manufactured, 010-015 had then removed. DRS did not alter this, and changed the bars once delivered. There is more detail here I just wont go into. As I imagine details do not matter to much to most. Fascinating to myself alone.

Later batch deliveries 016-025 and 026-034 have had different paint and wheel sets, along with internal alterations which firstly do not affect the model and secondly as not publicly known.

It should be noted, further modifications to 026 up revolve around the sale of Vossloh to Stadler.

Thus to model 025 you need to use 001 as the base model. As 002/003/005 has original single bolt and smaller tanks. Though 008 is near correct for 025, 008 has AAR sockets fitted.

Seeing as 025 is losing its DRS vinyls and having TPE vinyls applied, along with a series of internal modifications. One recommends you either wait for Dapol to produce a TPE livery from 019-025 or you use 001 in DRS.

I hope this information helps, if you like details, PM me with your specific questions. Wonderful locos the 68s and Dapol capture the loco perfectly in their OO model. Actually the attention to the details, even around the handle bars is in my mind quite an exceptional position for a model manufacture to take and pay attention too. All cats sorry for the pun, to Dapol’s Andy and Joel.
        Last edited by 159220; 29 November 2017, 23:54. Reason: Edited for typos

Comment

• Oliver Chapman
          Oliver Chapman commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the information

I don't want a TPE 68 horrible livery in my opinion

The 008 is close enough for me.I may remove the AAR sockets

I will have a look at the websites you mention for the nameplates

Thanks
          Oliver
          Last edited by Oliver Chapman; 29 November 2017, 18:34.

159220 commented
          Editing a comment
          I see. Well 68025 in DRS livery is awfully short lived. Vinyl applied in late April 2016 and removed Nov/Dec 2017. Whereas Superb shall be in TPE until at least April 2023....

Only 001-009 & 016-18 & 033/034 in DRS livery long term (006/007 shall return to DRS vinyl next year). Of course, further 68s expected above and beyond 034.

Another issue I can see with re-numbering, is the Avenger nameplate is longer than Superb. Seeing these are printed on, you might have difficulties.

Thanks DavidInYork

That's why I went that 008 as it was a model of later class 68. It will do for me

Just waiting for rails of Sheffield to post it

Comment

My class 68 arrived this morning. What a model!! .

only had a quick test run on DC but it's a super runner.

Well done Dapol

Comment

Good afternoon, can i ask when the DCC fitted versions will be available please?

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              DCC fitting is done by Dapol in their Chirk facility. So approximately 2 weeks after the DC versions. Similarly for the DCC sound versions.

Can I please ask if the wheel inserts now fitted to the second batch will be made available to fit to the first batch of locos.

Thanks

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
              JeremiahBunyan commented
              Editing a comment
              Any idea if they are etched or if they are decals?

So far I've seen noting but positive responses from people and retailers who have had a chance to mingle about with this second batch of Dapol OO gauge Class 68s. This proves that Dapol have listened and ironed out all the faults and thereby improved the product.

Excellent job and well done guys. Similarly I hope that the issues that plagued the first batch of Class 73s will be ironed out and the product improved in the same way.
            Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

I'd like to take the opportunity to thank Dapol for been a superb manufacturer and dealing with the livery errors on the first batch of DRS liveried models. I've received the 2 replacement bodies I needed and was a superb gesture. Personally I hate affixing nameplates however as the original bodies had one fall of each, and were over sized, the replacement - self fixing replacements is fine especially as these are of a better proportion. So happy I went out and brought a fourth model

Comment

I would also like to thank Dapol and DCC supplies for addressing the issues. I have received and fitted my new bodyshell and model looks superb....I even splashed out on two more of the updated models at the weekend and note the improved packaging which appears to have resulted in no loose parts this time.

Here's hoping for a stunning class 59 model in due course.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
                  JeremiahBunyan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good to hear about these improvements! And I'm sure the Class 59 will be a stunner.
              Working...
              X