Etched Nameplates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Etched Nameplates

Shall the 68s be provided with metal etched nameplates to place over the printed? Would make an already superb looking model the cat's whiskers.

The plan is to produce stainless etched plates which will be factory fitted, rather than print. I have received suggestions to the effect that printed plates are preferred (in general) to etched? - One option is to both print and provide the etched plate, but fitting these neatly and tidily can be a challenge. I'd like to hear some comments on this subject from you all.
    Regards
    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

I would certainly prefer to have just etched nameplates. They give a far superior 'as prototype' look to them. But I can understand collectors might not wish to model them onto the body. Thus perhaps the compromise is as you say to offer both. Long as the etched plates a 0.001 mm larger to cover over all of the printed plates. Or, how is the factory up for fitting plates without printing them?

Still I am super pleased to hear etched nameplates are coming with the 68s!

Comment

Etched plates are preferable & easy to fit using Klear, matt varnish, or my favourite Glue & Glaze from Deluxe Products. Do NOT use superglue!

Comment

• Finsbury Park
          Finsbury Park commented
          Editing a comment
          Why not use superglue, out of interest?

• Andy Dapol
          Andy Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          Finsbury Park We each have our favourites. I tend to use varnish our double sided tape. Both allow repositioning. Superglue tends to grab, and if it gets on fingers ends up everywhere. It can also stain and discolour paint and clear plastics, due to off-gassing during cure. Then again I know several folk who swear by it.

I use black tack, holds the plates in place and i have not had any fall off. Just the tiniest amount is needed. Can also be removed at any time without leaving any stains.

Comment

• Chris Newman
          Chris Newman commented
          Editing a comment
          Never heard of Black tack-- do you know name of manufacturer /retail outlet--is it like Blue tack???

I do feel that etched plates is a must, like Bachmann, in the box is better in my view.

Comment

Best option for me is to have printed plates, with etched plates in the box that I can fit if required. I quite often renumber/name locos soit would be more of a challenge if the etched plate was already fitted. As for the 68 though, just hurry up and release it !!!

Comment

All comments on the plates duly noted. I think we can please with this one
            Regards
            Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

For my 10penth! Etched plates factory fitted if all the tags can be removed before fitting. Past performance has been variable. If printed and etch for MFI (modeller fit it?) then could an etched location guide me made so level and correct location ensured, and yes if plate scale can printed be slightly undersize. I do wonder what would be issues with having a double sided tape attached to rear of plate for a dry application? - Adams vinyl's have a not instant grab allowing some replacement time perhaps this type of "glue" could be used, several asks and cost with these suggestions but you dis ask!
              Robert

Comment

I'm another that wishes if it's a printed plate, it's slightly smaller than the etched plate. Nothing worse than seeing the print behind the etch. (I much prefer etched plates anyway, but fully understand the reasons for printing them.)

Ta,
                Mick

Comment

Etched plates for me all the way! But like above, if printed plates are used, slightly smaller than the etch would really be preferable

Comment

Yes, printed plates would be made a little smaller if this is the way we go.
                    Regards
                    Andy

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

Etched may be a bit of effort to fit but it's not beyond most people and factory fitted plates make it almost impossible to rename/renumber. Printed with etched in the box is the best solution.

Comment

Working...
                      X