Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Product Q&A: Still looking for news

Hi,

I signed up to Dapol digest in the hope that I could get some accurate information on the release of the class 21/29.
    While I realise that things never go according to plan where new releases are concerned, I keep hoping that this class will see the light of day before the end of 2016.

So how about some tidbit to keep us going?

UKpepsi

We are actively working on this project, but it ha been problematic, however we should have something to show soon.
    Regards
    Joel

Dapol Staff Member

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
      JeremiahBunyan commented
      Editing a comment
      Good news then for those who wanted one! It's a pity about the problems... How far have you'll gotten with it? Would it be possible to tell us what stage it's at (CAD, tooling, EP sample)?

"however we should have something to show soon"

I'm looking forward to the next snippet of news from Dapol about the 21/29 release.

Perhaps if an opportunity to pre-order was made available, then that could be used to test interest from buyers.
    I'd certainly put down a marker, if it would help move the release date along.

It's over 40 years since there was an RTR class 21/29, it would certainly make my year to have it released in 2016.

Pepsi

Comment

I think you're being a little unfair in your impatience, ukpepsi. It's well known that Dapol has had many issues with designing this model and the company doesn't have an infinitely big workforce that can work on every aspect of every model all at the same time. It's a small team and they all need to be able to have lives outside work as well. I'm sure Joel would love the resources to have a huge team of designers, but let's be realistic. And of those he has, remember that we work to live - not the other way round!

How would getting pre-orders 'help move the release date along'? It would just result in a greater clamour from even more impatient people!

If you look elsewhere on here it's clear that they have been working hard on other models (like the Bubblecars, Class 68, etc). It's obvious that we're not going to see the 21/29 in 2016 and I'd be surprised if we saw it/them in 2017 either.

Patience is a virtue... and the best things come to those who wait.
      Last edited by Finsbury Park; 2 September 2016, 16:57.

Comment

Hello
        The CADs for the class 21 and class 29 are nearing completion, so I have posted a couple of pictures here to show progress on these models. There are still a couple of adjustments to be made to the body shells and if other areas look as though they are not quite correct your comments would be much appreciated as we would like to make these new diesel locomotives as accurate as possible.

Comment

• Finsbury Park
          Finsbury Park commented
          Editing a comment
          The CAD on the left shows headcode discs as well as four character headcode panels. The lights are tail lamps on that version, so no headcode discs required! :-)

CADS look good at a quick glance and good to see progress so thanks
        Robert

Comment

• robert shrives
          robert shrives commented
          Editing a comment
          A quick look into Seventies spotting days by Strathwood does show that the headcode version generally had fully plated over corridor connections . 6130 had a better job on the no1 end as No2 end shows rust on weld seems even in two tone green livery, whilst No1 end end looks much better. Most of others ib blue seem to be fully re plated with no detectable door lines.
          Something for CAD review conisderation, while it may never happen soon I would love to see it be hit by a stray shrinking ray !

Hi Richard,

The CAD drawings look good to me, but then I never saw them going about in the 60's

I'm happy that the build has moved on another step & look forward to any additional news.

Thanks for posting.

Pepsi

PS I hope the open day is a resounding success, just sorry I can't make it there is person.

Comment

• JeremiahBunyan
          JeremiahBunyan commented
          Editing a comment
          When is the Dapol Open Day?

• Joel Dapol
          Joel Dapol commented
          Editing a comment
          It was yesterday 1st October

The CAD looks incredible indeed...I see a lot of detail there! You're onto a winner!
        Last edited by JeremiahBunyan; 3 January 2017, 18:49.
        Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Three months have passed the CADS are looking good, is there an update on the progress of these? Are they close to tooling/1st EP? Are you going to release details of the updated model numbers? As currently for pre-order are the Class 29 numbers only, having the full range including the class 21 might give you a better indicator on how they will perform. I would pre-order a couple of plain green Class 21s if I could.

Kind Regards

Paul

Comment

• Joel Dapol
            Joel Dapol commented
            Editing a comment
            Very close now, the (hopefully) final CADs are in next week and then it's straight into tooling. Getting this right has been a drawn out and painful experience for Richard, but we hope it will be worth it. This is of course worsened by not having any preserved specimens to examine. We do really appreciate our customers patience on this, as we do know this has been far too long.

Thats great news, thanks Joel. Are you able to confirm the model numbers for the Class 21 versions as currently no one can pre-order them, are they yet to be decided? When do you reckon the running numbers and decoration will be decided?

Comment

Very close now, the (hopefully) final CADs are in next week and then it's straight into tooling. Getting this right has been a drawn out and painful experience for Richard, but we hope it will be worth it. This is of course worsened by not having any preserved specimens to examine. We do really appreciate our customers patience on this, as we do know this has been far too long.

Joel,

Did you receive the final cads, are they now in tooling?

Cheers

Paul

Comment

Interesting! Never even realized that 3 weeks has since gone by. Hope they have received the CAD by now and I hope it's either in or will be in tooling.
              Jeremiah Bunyan...

Comment

Heading to the Glasgow show next weekend.

Here's hoping Dapol might release a progress report to co-inside with Scotland's premier show.

After all, 21/29's spent most of their working lives North of the border.

Pepsi

Comment

Joel

Did these enter tooling in April. When can we expect first sample?

regards

Comment

As we enter the 3rd quarter of 2017, I keep hoping Dapol will update this thread with news about the 29's.
                    There has been news about many of the alternate products from the Chirk factory.
                    So how about it Dapol, any news please, pretty please?

Pepsi

Comment

• Joel Dapol
                      Joel Dapol commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hi Pepsi, we will be posting an update soon, sorry for the wait and thanks for your patience.

• JeremiahBunyan
                      JeremiahBunyan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good news Joel
                  Working...
                  X